A second spare tyre?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default A second spare tyre?

I have a normal spare tyre of course. But i'm planning a trip to Addo in Jan and then one to Botswana in Feb. Would you consider a second spare wheel if you do overlanding? Especially in Botswana. Does it make sense for me to put a 2nd spare on my roof rack?

For normal use - 1 spare is fine. But for a longer trip to more remote areas? Is it wise to put a 2nd on your roof rack?

If you have an opinion on this I'd appreciate it.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

For Addo 1 should be ok but pending where you go in Botswana a second is a must. Two is standard kit for me on all trips then I also carry a repair kit and a tube. Had 9 punctures on a 10.7 k km trip to Tanzania and just made it home with no alternatives left.

Addo: This is Sanparks aera, no need for a 2nd spare wheel at all!

In regards to Bots: it all depends where you are planning on going, which time of the year you are going to Bots. It also depends if you are travelling on your own or with friends in a group.

I don't take a 2nd spare wheel with me to Bots.

tar roads in Botswana are usually in a very good shape with the occasional stretch of potholes (and some of them can be bad!), so always keep an eye on that. But coming from South Africa: We should be experts in doing this 8)

Depending on where and when you will travel in Botswana you might encounter hidden traps underneath the sand/mud in form of roots/branches etc. But as long you are not driving of the beaten track you should be fine.
    In- and deflating the tyres according to the surface you are travelling on will
    prevent damages as well.

A good(!) tyre repair kit (and know how to use that stuff) is a must.
    If you do have a tyre repair kit already: Check that the glue didn't dried out and rather buy some extra of those worms. In case you want to be able to do side wall repairs as well make sure you got all the tools necessary. Those sticky worms "could" be helpful for temporary sidewall repairs, but it all depends on how the damage looks like....

As long you don't have a special tyre size you can source tyres in case you need to in Botswana relatively easy. And in case you don't travel alone you will have "transport" as well.

When travelling alone into really remote area's: rather take a sat phone with!

Under the bottom line: You will get lots of different answers to this question and in the end it will be your decision. But as long you are not travelling alone, you should be fine with one spare wheel, no matter where you go in Botswana.
    2002 - Defender 110, TD5
    2016 - Duster

If you have the standard 265/65-17 tyres on your Pajero I have a good used tyre you can take with.
    Andre Botha
    2006 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB, Gomad bash plates. Monroe Adventure shocks.

If you have the standard 265/65-17 tyres on your Pajero I have a good used tyre you can take with.
    Thanks Andre - I really appreciate that. Unfortunately the previous owner put 16" rims on. Not sure why - other than to provide more side wall.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D
    Every statement I make comes with the proviso that I don't know what i'm talking about.
    “It's a terrible thing, I think, in life to wait until you're ready. I have this feeling now that actually no one is ever ready to do anything. There is almost no such thing as ready. There is only now. And you may as well do it now. Generally speaking, now is as good a time as any.” – Hugh Laurie

Addo: This is Sanparks aera, no need for a 2nd spare wheel at all!
    Yes, spares available in every town. I'm more concerned on my Botswana trip - my first solo overlanding trip. I'm just wondering what the more experienced overlanders do. I will be doing the standard Bots trip (Pans-Delta-Chobe) on the common roads so no serious overlanding requiring a sat phone. Like you say - if I'm going with just one vehicle then it makes sense to put that 2nd wheel up top.

Had 9 punctures on a 10.7 k km trip to Tanzania and just made it home with no alternatives left.
    Wow. So get a 2nd wheel and be damn good at fixing a puncture! I should get you to teach me after that experience!
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

I feel so much happier with a second spare when travelling to more remote areas. I presume you will be in remote areas on your Botswana trip. After all these are the main reason for visiting Bots.

But, we often travel on our own and I have the convenience of a second spare wheel carrier. It is quite a weight to carry a spare wheel on your roof-rack and you do not want to be top heavy. It depends what else you will be carrying, overloading is your biggest enemy.

The biggest problem with loosing a tyre is that without a spare your trip can become quite stressful without a second spare. This may inhibit your game drives and explorations and this is such a pity when one considers the preparation, anticipation and expense that goes into such a trip.

Most punctures can be repaired with a simple plug and a decent puncture repair kit and compressor. In the sandy soil of Moremi, Chobe and the Kalahari, the biggest danger is not a simple puncture but a sidewall tear from protruding roots or logs. These are not so simple to repair and you need to carry a very comprehensive puncture repair kit with gaiters and the like as well as tyre levers and need the know-how to remove and replace a tyre from the rim. With tubeless tyres a spare tube can be a temporary solution so it may be an idea to carry one.

However one cannot cover every eventuality when traversing isolated and rough terrain. The chances of being stranded with punctures is in fact quite low and many have done the typical Botswana trip with only one spare. If you are concerned, carry a satellite phone with suitable numbers to contact for help if stranded.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Always difficult - the desire to be prepared for every eventuality is understandable, but you can also overdo it by carrying too much and making problems more likely...

you do feel very vulnerable after you've used your spare and no longer have one when you are far from civilisation...

Get a snot plug kit and compressor. most punctures are repairable. You have fairly common sized tyres and you'd get a replacement SOMETHING in Bots if you were in dire need of a replacement spare, or you'd get one taken up to you.

consider TUFFSTUFF insurance - they'd bring you one!!

Other options are to carry just a tyre and tyre levers - it's much lighter and you can use the packing space still, by packing soft stuff inside the tyre.

Thanks Stan. This advice is a great help.
    I've used the basic puncture repair kit before but I would have no idea how to repair damage to the sidewall. Perhaps worth having someone each me - in my experience its always worth learning something at home rather than on the trail. Time and money well spent - even if just for peace of mind.

A 2nd spare it is I think!
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Other options are to carry just a tyre and tyre levers - it's much lighter and you can use the packing space still, by packing soft stuff inside the tyre.
    I never thought of this. Tx.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    Thanks Stan. This advice is a great help.
    I've used the basic puncture repair kit before but I would have no idea how to repair damage to the sidewall. Perhaps worth having someone each me - in my experience its always worth learning something at home rather than on the trail. Time and money well spent - even if just for peace of mind.

A 2nd spare it is I think!
    Sidewall damage should only be repaired in an emergency , or I should say, one should only use a tyre with a repaired sidewall when there is no other option - but it's the same as repairing tread.

Good thing to do is find an old tyre - a dealer will gladly give you one - and make a few holes in it to practice with.

but it's pretty easy, hardly rocket science!!!!

Three things to bear in mind when deciding on whether to take a 2nd spare or not, is 1) The area you are going to visit (e.g. in general Kaokoland will pose a much higher risk of getting a puncture than say Botswana),
    2) Are you driving solo,
    3) what is the condition of your tyres (how much tread left). If it is less than 50%, one's risk of getting puncture increases substantially. I have tried to squeeze the last out of a set of tyres when travelling to Zim and ended up with 5 punctures (only one spare!)

When travelling to remote areas, a satellite phone to me is a non-negotiable item for the mere reason of a medical emergency (evacuation). Traveling in a group will not be of much help in this.
    Last edited by Yada; 2014/10/07 at 12:49 PM.

I always carry 2 spares. We did a 1180km solo trip to Bushmanland this past weekend and picked up a stick through one of the tyres .....

Johan 8)
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

As Apoc said, carry a spare casing, not the whole rim, and know how to fit the tyre to the rim. On remote trips, I also carry two spare tubes in case of sidewall damage to my tubeless tyres - slap a gator on the sidewall cut so the tube doesn't bulge out of it.

This is my extra spare wheel bracket. You are welcome to come and have a look at it as I am in Malmesbury. You are also welcome to use it for a trip.
    IMG 0382 is travelling mode, IMG 0383 folded down to enter the load bay and IMG 0385 it is removed while camping.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0382.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	121.6 KB 
ID:	312396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0383.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	151.9 KB 
ID:	312397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0385.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	171.1 KB 
ID:	312398  

A tyre is enough if you know how to change and repair in the bush!
    We have a few times!
    Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

This is my extra spare wheel bracket. You are welcome to come and have a look at it as I am in Malmesbury. You are also welcome to use it for a trip.
    IMG 0382 is travelling mode, IMG 0383 folded down to enter the load bay and IMG 0385 it is removed while camping.
    Thanks Andre, much appreciated. I think i'm going to go for the extra tyre (no rim) plus spare tubes option. I'll just need to learn how to remove and fit a tyre to a rim. That seems my best option. I can then keep the tyre on my roof rack.
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

I always carry 2 spares. We did a 1180km solo trip to Bushmanland this past weekend and picked up a stick through one of the tyres .....
    Thanks Johan. Yours and a few other comments have made me realise that for over landing you need two spares, even if one is just a tyre. And I need proper repair kits. Thanks for the help! Those are the lessons from experience I need to hear!
    Michael
    2007 Pajero 3.2 Di-D

Quote Originally Posted by mic_zw View Post
    Thanks Andre, much appreciated. I think i'm going to go for the extra tyre (no rim) plus spare tubes option. I'll just need to learn how to remove and fit a tyre to a rim. That seems my best option. I can then keep the tyre on my roof rack.
    you will need a bead breaker - Hilift jack is the best 'bush mechanics ' option for this. you shouldn't be seen without one anyway!

plus a pair of tyre irons.

and the snot plugs, patches and air pump...

all useful stuff that , really, should be in your vehicle all the time!!

I ALWAYS have two spare wheels in my 4x4.

NOTHING worse than a single puncture and you have no spare wheel left for the rest of the trip ....

well actually there is - sharp rock that destroys both front and rear tires in one go !! Happened on a Namibia trip. Without two spares we would have been "up the creak"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast