Exclamation L/C Prado Cylinder Head Blown 200 000 KM ????

Good afternoon Guys,

I got a quick question for the Prado enthusiast out there.

My brother has 05' L/C Prado 4.0L V6, and apparently the garage is saying to him the cylinder head is gone.

The story goes like this; they came back from camping some where up North last night and he was giving it a little stick whilst towing his 2 Ton camping trailer keeping it between 120 - 140 Km. About 5km from home he noticed the temperature gage began to rise so he slacked off and crawled home.

Once he got home the rubber pipe which comes from radiator burst off throwing water and coolant all over the motor. After the vehicle cooled off, he topped up the car with coolant again and water and reconnected the blown off pipe.

This morning on his way to work, idling in traffic it over heated again. When i stopped there, the motor was off, but when we started it it sounded a like it was missing and sounded a few cylinders short of 6.

We towed to Toyota and they explained that the thermostat had got stuck and the over heating could have caused the cylinder head gasket to blow? They will only know the extent of the damage once diagnostics are run.

What do you think he is going to be in for in terms of repairs, also as Murphy has it the Warranty expired when they got back from Namibia in July.

Any help or input would be great

Sounds like a head gasket is blown to me.

...crawled home...
    If not damaged yet, that would have for sure damaged the heads within a km or 2.

Now, what I'm wondering about - water pipes do not just pop off. Something went wrong before, causing the pipe to come off. They will find obvious head damage. Do not stop there. Try to find the original problem cause the pipe to pop.
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Water pumps tend to go around those km's on these engines.
    2010 Prado 4.0 VX
    1984 Suzuki SJ410
    Conqueror Commander

Quote Originally Posted by PelagicPora View Post
    About 5km from home he noticed the temperature gage began to rise so he slacked off and crawled home.
    Theres your first big problem.
    If the noticed it rising he was in a very good position to still save it if he just stoped in time.

Sounds like a headgasket yes. But as said, there might be something els wrong aswell so get it all checked.
    Pat

Hilux 3.0 D4D 4x4

Cool Prado 4.0 VX 2003 Model - Head gasket gone @ 255 000 kms

I replaced my radiator of my Prado 150 Series 4.0 Vx at the beginning of September 2014. Radiator City did the job.
    Coming back from Dullstroom mid Oct the temp gauge started to rise. Stopped immediately cooled down and found the expansion bottle full but water missing from the radiator. No visible leaks. She took about 2 litres of water. A week later this same event occurred again. Radiator City pressure tested the system and found no leaks. Flores reckons it's the head gasket on one of the banks. The engine is pressurising the water system and the water is flowing from the radiator cap overflow into the expansion bottle and this explains the loss of water in the radiator?
    I would appreciate any advice as to who I could have the head done by at a reasonable cost in the Centurion, Pretoria area. No dealerships!

Sorry to hear. Give Hatting Motors a ring. Andre, the owner, also drives a Prado.
    2010 Prado 4.0 VX
    1984 Suzuki SJ410
    Conqueror Commander

I have a very similar problem. Prado temp suddenly spiked just after overtaking some trucks on way to berg. Pulled off before it got near the red. It then didn't do it again until the return trip when it did it 3x. Also noticed some water loss. Had recently replaced radiator due to same observation. Had new radiator tested. No leaks but did get to pay R200 to Silverton for 3min gas test administered by someone who shall I say didn't inspire confidence. He said there was CO2 in water. On that basis it sounds like the heads although some say it could be thermostat. I need someone reliable in Durban to take it to - should it be an all-in1 strip and engineer or done separately? Any opinions?

Thanks for the heads up on Hatting Motors. I shall give them a call

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberfish View Post
    I have a very similar problem. Prado temp suddenly spiked just after overtaking some trucks on way to berg. Pulled off before it got near the red. It then didn't do it again until the return trip when it did it 3x. Also noticed some water loss. Had recently replaced radiator due to same observation. Had new radiator tested. No leaks but did get to pay R200 to Silverton for 3min gas test administered by someone who shall I say didn't inspire confidence. He said there was CO2 in water. On that basis it sounds like the heads although some say it could be thermostat. I need someone reliable in Durban to take it to - should it be an all-in1 strip and engineer or done separately? Any opinions?
    I had the same problem with mine (90 series Prado, 185K on clock last week, coming back from Ponto Malongane, water starting boiling in radiator and pouring out the bottle, temperature gauge went up, I pulled off immediately, waited a bit and limped home, luckily was only 5 minutes away. Toyota did the pressure test, tell me it was a blocked radiator and seized thermostat, they say my cylinder heads are fine, phew
    2002 Prado 3.4L V6
    Toyota MR2

The precious Prado is back! For those in for a similar repair of a head gasket failure. (255450 kms) here are the cost details; (rounded up)

Head overhaul - R 5,410.00
    Gasket kit - R 3,575.00
    Tensioners x 3 - R 1,890.00
    Solenoid valve - R 932.00
    Inlet sub-assbly - R 435.00
    Helix oil - R 346.00
    Washers/head bolts - R 1575.00
    Oil filter - R 173.00
    Spark plugs - R 450.00
    O-ring - R 48.00
    Air filter - R 308.00
    V-belt - R 352.00
    Aircon Regas - R 525.00
    Sundries - R 125.00
    Antifreeze - R 535.00
    Labour - R 8,500.00
    Donation to our friend at Nkandla - R 3525.00

So R28.5K later thats the current deal on the Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 VX (2003)