Terrace Bay Recommendations

Default Terrace Bay Recommendations

Hi,
    I am new to the community and to 4x4ing altogether. I just bought a Pathfinder (my first 4x4) and we are already planning our first trip to Namibia in April – baptism by fire I guess. It will be a two week trip starting around the Orange River/Fish River Canyon area and heading the whole way up to the Skeleton Coast. We have most of the route fairly well planned out, with a lot of excellent recommendations for 4x4 trails, viewpoints and sightseeing. However, the northern most point on our trip is Terrace Bay, as this is the last point with accommodation (do not have my vehicle outfitted for camping). We have booked in here for two nights and have a full day around the area. We thought we would be able to drive further up the Skeleton Coast and do some sightseeing but it seems that a bit before Mowe Bay the area becomes restricted and only guided tours can cross over. We therefore have a full day in Terrace Bay and are not sure what to do. All our research says there is absolutely nothing in the area and the only reason to go there is for the fishing. We therefore are starting to regret building it into our itinerary, but there is no going back now. Therefore, any recommendations on day trails in the area and sights to see would be greatly appreciated.

Any other recommendations for a novice on his first trip to Namibia would be greatly appreciated. I am particularly curious about how I should be outfitting my vehicle. I will be driving a the 2014 3.0dci V6 LE Pathfinder, and have not done anything to it yet.

Thanks,
    Daniel

i would plan to hike/walk along the miles of beaches there or go and check out the hoaneb river lagoon . there is also a hiking trail up the uniab . some game around too like gemsbok . you could beg the warden for a permit to visit the mowe bay museum but thats a real outside chance . just enjoy the coastline , it is amazing in its own rugged way

Ek het ook baie opgelees oor Terrace Baai toe ons deur Namibië getoer het. Wat ek kon agterkom is dat as jy nie op 'n visvang trip is nie, dit nie die moeite werd is nie. Ek was toe nie daar nie, so ek weet nie of dit die waarheid is nie. Ons het wel by Mata Mata in Nam ingegaan, en amper 'n sirkel deur Nam getoer. Na Etosha het ons wes gedraai na die skedelkus. By Khorixas het ons by Gowati Hotel geslaap. 'n Nagmerrie met die taxis oorkant die pad. Volgende keer sal ons by Khorixas Safari Camp oorbly. Op pad na die Skedelkus park ry jy deur die mooiste klipwoestyn en welvitschia plante. Ook baie spore van die woestyn olifante in die pad gesien, maar nie die olifante nie. By Tora baai (daar is niks nie) het ons suid gedraai na Henties, Walvis, Sossusvlei en die Dooie Vlei. Deur Aus het ons Canyon toe gegaan. Doen jouself 'n guns en slaap ten minste een nag by Canyon Roadhouse. Dit was die moeite werd. Geniet jou trip.
    2013 Ford Ranger 3.2 D/C Auto

Thanks Martin, How would I contact the Warden? Is the Warden based in Terrace Bay?

Daniel

Default Itinerary

Thanks - We actually will be staying at Canyon Lodge on our first night - we saw it online and decided we couldn't miss it, despite the cost.

Attached is our current itinerary. I know I know, it is extremely ambitious, but although this is my first 4x4 trip, I have done a number immense trips both in Africa and in South America and we love to cram in a lot in a short space of time. We will be taking turns driving and will be doing some night driving unfortunately (will take it extremely slow).

Areas in red are still to be confirmed. We haven't researched the Okavango yet to find a good place (very interested in doing some game viewing in this area), and we are having a hard time with accommodation in Sossusvlei/Sesriem. We really wanted to stay inside the Park but it seems there is only one place (Sossus Dune Lodge) and they seem to be fully booked on our dates.
    Attached Files Attached Files

In Terrace bay there's absolutely NOTHING!! You can do some dune driving and fishing and drinking. Unfortunately there's nothing to see, but it's an experience of its own alone.

Be prepared to get at least 2 flat tires there!

Maar die vis byt!!!
    2014 Isuzu KB6 300 Double Cab 4x4
    2008 Isuzu KB300 Extended Cab 4x2 - EX

I've been going to Terrace Bay for the past 30 years. It is in effect a fishing destination. Period !!!
    Your chances now days on catching fish at Henties Bay is the same as Terrace Bay. The fishing is not what it used to be like anymore. Most regretfully, as we are diehards and still make the yearly pilgrimage once a year.
    Terrace Bay is also very expensive for what you get - NOTHING except dinner, and breakfast. Heard that the food is also no as it used to be.
    Scenery wise, if you drive towards Cape Cross to see the seals, it's basically the same in Terrace, so nothing to really write home about.
    To round up, if you are not going specifically on a fishing trip, I would stay clear of Terrace Bay.
    LR Discovery 4 TD V6 SE
    Bush-Lapa Boskriek B 333
    " Kriekie "

the warden is at terrace bay but they are very strict about access further north. Since you are booked already go and enjoy it for what it is .

Kevin and Michelle Heyes
    [/SIGPIC]
    www.kevinandmichelle.co.uk

I've been north to Moewe bay on 4 or 5 occasions. Discussed the issue with the staff at Terrace bay and off we went.
    I think these restrictions are not fully enforced and up to Moewe bay is accepted.

Discuss the issue over a Gluehwein with the warden and tell him you want to scout out the Hoanib mouth area just before Moewe bay.
    Worked for me.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads