Advice on towing vehicle.........

twendeoverland Guest

Default Advice on towing vehicle.........

I have several clients interested in doing a round trip Cape Town to Cairo and back - easy enough, but they are wanting to tow old fashioned American type trailers with them (you know those big stainless steel things you see in old movies or typical American trailer park) Weight of the trailer - between 1.4 and 2 ton.
    I'm interested to hear peoples views on which vehicle to use? I've spent some time myself with 4x4's in various places, and have my own ideas, but some feedback would be great.

Don't think they are going to be going absolutely way off road, but they definitely won't be staying on the good road all the way.....
    Will be taking a support vehicle which would double up as a spare if one conks out.

Thanks

I will only recommend 2:

1. Ford F250. Good torque and the vehicle itself is heavy, which makes towing a pleasure. also has lots of packing space and diesel is available in most places. this would definately be my first choice
    2. Toyota Land Cruiser 4500 petrol. Either the bakkie ot the Station Wagon, but be sure to get the petrol motor. For that matter the Nissan Patrol Station Wagon would do too. These straight 6 motors are low tech and relatively easy to fix if something goes wrong. They are heavy on fuel though

There are other brands, like Land Rover Defender, etc, but you need a lot of Power and you need a heavy vehicle. The weight of the towing vehicle is very underrated.

I would not recommend any of the newer high tech engines like VW touareg, etc, as fuel quality is probably not very good everywhere. My 2c
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    I will only recommend 2:

2. Toyota Land Cruiser 4500 petrol. Either the bakkie ot the Station Wagon, but be sure to get the petrol motor. For that matter the Nissan Patrol Station Wagon would do too.
    Just bear in mind that the Max Tow Weight for the LC70 pick-up is only 1500kg. (The GX100 wagon is 3500kg) The Patrol Pick-up can tow 2500kg and the SUV 3500kg. Also remember that most standard tow balls has a tow rating of 1500kg. You need to fit one with 2500kg rating or more for these situations.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Funnily enough the Navara also has a 3500kg towing spec, but I wouldnt use mine to tow anything over 1500. Something to do with the braking setup (thats what the stealers told me)

Does anyone know what is the deciding factors of a vehicles towing capacity?

No hole too deep, No hill too high.
    Always take the road less traveled, there is less people and more obstacles

Quote Originally Posted by Khosaan View Post
    Just bear in mind that the Max Tow Weight for the LC70 pick-up is only 1500kg. (The GX100 wagon is 3500kg) The Patrol Pick-up can tow 2500kg and the SUV 3500kg. Also remember that most standard tow balls has a tow rating of 1500kg. You need to fit one with 2500kg rating or more for these situations.
    True. I won't consider the LC 70 though. The 4.2D motor is going to have a tough time with a trailer this size.

If the F250 is not an option, I will consider the LC 100 GX (4500 straight six) or the Nissan Patrol SW (4800 straight six). The LC bakkie 4500 would be fine too, but space might be a problem, unless you are only 2 people
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

I am fitting a 1HD-FT motor in my 80 for excacly that reason.

It was a 1HD-FTE, but the electronic pump has been replaced with a manual pump. So that I don't have electronic problems later on in Africa somewhere. I also need to tow a 3 tonne trailer at times, and the petrol is just not the fuel to be using.

Good luck.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252