deep cycle battery maintance

Default deep cycle battery maintance

Hi every body

Been going through the threads but have not found the information i am looking for.

Once you have your dual battery inplace and installed then what just use and abuse? what should i be doing when the battery is not being used? should i charge it to capaicty and store it like that or drain it completely and then store it??

any help would be great

ta Wenwe

Drain it ? No rather not , don't think it's possible. If you have a charger like the C-Tek or same, you can leave it on maintanance for at least a couple of months until you need it again. You may attach a low watt camp light and monitor just to keep track of the charging or not. Hope it helps ,

I go on a trip for a week then, then i dont use the battery for momth till the next trip( sorry just getting into this and paid some one to install in for me, so dont have clue). what should i don between trip to keep the battery working at its best

wenwe

Keep it fully charged, but do not connect a normal battery charger longer than necessary for a full charge. Over-charging a battery could also lead to permanent damage!

You could, as suggested above, connect either a C-Tek or a Benton charger to the battery and leave that permanently connected. These chargers are designed for maintenance charging and will not damage the battery.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

While on the subject of charging batteries again: I have noticed that one of my batteries ( quite new though ) leaks acid from both poles while charging , is it possible to seal that,and with what? I have a 7A C-Tek attahed which charges slowly , but after a couple of days i have noticed the leaking of acid.Is there anyone out there who might have experienced the same problem and solved successfully?

Roxy,

The "first generation" on the C-Tek 7000 charger had issues. Mine blinked like a Christmas tree, jumping from one charge rate to another. Eventually, I returned it to the Supplier who swapped it out, it was still within the guarantee period. My new C-Tek 7000 works well, I have no problems with it.

You might want to test the rate of charge of your C-Tek, in case it has also gone faulty and over-charges. You do not say what type of battery you are charging, but even sealed batteries have vents to discharge gases in case of over-charging. They should not leak at the pole terminals. If the battery is still under warranty, have it checked out.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Family Dog ,

thanks for the advice. It seems like the battery is the culprit. Unfortunately guarantee has expired. On investigation it was a 102 A/h and not a 105 A/h. I'm curious towards the difference between deep cycle and high cycle - both sealed , but obviously some significant difference. Please explain which will be the one of choice for a dual system and the reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Wenwe View Post
    Once you have your dual battery inplace and installed then what just use and abuse? what should i be doing when the battery is not being used? should i charge it to capaicty and store it like that or drain it completely and then store it??
    Never store a flat battery, it will probably be useless after a very short period of time(as short as a few days).

A fully charged battery should last indefinitely, it won't stay fully charged indefinitely though.

So, charge it fully and then store it or ideally conect it to a maintenance type charger, such as C-Tech or similar.