Fortuner drawer system

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Fortuner drawer system

Hi all.

I am in the process of designing and building a drawer system for my Fortuner for long trips to Nam, Bots etc. and would like to get some valuable inputs from likeminded people. I am also planning to do it as simple as possible so that even the regular office Johnny can do it, and would like to share all the plans with all of you out there.

The plan is to base it on Simon’s system, hope you don’t mind Simon, (Click here) because I feel that it is the easiest and most cost effective way to do it. I will also be using 25X25 Ali sq tubing with the Connect-it connectors with the punch, but I thought of punching it, and then drilling a 5 mm hole about 15 deep and then riveting it to add tensile strength to the joint. I am not to concerned about the strength of ther connectors, as long as the structure doesn’t “Sway”. Will most probably add gussets on the corners to prevent this.

The overall size is 950 x 950 which will allow 4 ammo crates to be stored in the drawer and then the slide for my 40l Engel on top. I will also add all kinds of flip up tops on both sides of the structure to allow for extra storage. Mounting points will be to the 4 3rd row seat mounting points, and the four 3rd row seat clips on the floor.

Then the next stage is to build a water tank, with a pressure pump installed in it, in front of the drawers behind the second row of seats. There is about 250 mm left behind the seat after leaving some space still for them to recline (think that is the right word, sorry for my English, I grew up in the Freestate). This will allow for about 60l. The biggest challenge is the mounting points for the Water tank. 60 kgs will generate decent forces when braking hard.

The last part of the conversion is a grid to fitted behind the 2nd row seat to prevent stuff flying forward and hitting you behind the head when braking hard. Here I thought of using 20 mm round ali tubing with a mesh welded in. I will mount it together with the 2nd row seat belts on top, and on the 3rd row seat mountings at the bottom.

I am busy with the design in 3D CAD so that it can be shared easily and duplicated if needed. Please let me know of any other ideas you have that I can incorporate.

I will upload some images tomorrow.
    Last edited by Uys; 2008/05/22 at 10:10 AM.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Ok, so here is the first design pictures. Also a 3D file which you can Zoom , Rotate etc.

Free 3D viewer available from http://www.solidworks.com/pages/prog...loadcheck.html
    Fortuner laai.zip

Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

That's a cool program!

I want to build one of these for Bulldog as well, and your drawing has given me some nice ideas. What sizes are the Ammo boxes available in? I would require a frame to fit a SFA Import load bin.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Arie Guest

Very nice H2F. Any measurements available? How you going to overcome the lip at the rear of the Fortuner? Are you going to install a slide at the top for fridge or more ammo boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    What sizes are the Ammo boxes available in? I would require a frame to fit a SFA Import load bin.
    -F_D
    I have 6 ammo boxes from OW, of which I plan to use only 4 in the drawer due to size constraints. The measurements is 440 x 315 x 210.

Quote Originally Posted by Arie View Post
    Very nice H2F. Any measurements available? How you going to overcome the lip at the rear of the Fortuner? Are you going to install a slide at the top for fridge or more ammo boxes?

Arie.

The frame as shown in the drawings is currently 900x790x300. I have to make it higher due to the lip - I need 40mm from the floor to clear this lip. This will give me some space to store flat stuff, such as a braai plate etc. I will have to remove the ammo boxes to reach this though.

I am planning to fit the slide for the 40 l Engel on top. Next to the slide I will leave some packing space for SWAMBO's Stuff, she'll just have to learn to pack lighter *Quickly checking over my shoulder to make sure she's not there*.

Uys
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Hi all.

Progress is slow and painful - my job keeps interfering with my hobbies.

I bought the slides last week and just as well. The mounting holes is not on the ends, it is 50mm from the front and 80 mm from the rear. So I need vertical posts 50mm for the front and 80 mm from the rear, which makes the design difficult. 50mm center lines means 25 mm between the two face of the tubing facing each other and that means that I will not be able to get the Connect-It's in. So I thought of making the frame longer (1050mm), but then it would eat into the space I plan to use for the water tank. So I decided to drill new holes in the slide, and voila - problem sorted! Will post pics later.

I've worked further on the design and hope to obtain prices for the gussets on the side and the tubing later this week. The best price so far looks like R39/m for the 25 x 25 x 2 tubing.

New pics below

Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilux2Fortuner View Post
    I've worked further on the design and hope to obtain prices for the gussets on the side and the tubing later this week. The best price so far looks like R39/m for the 25 x 25 x 2 tubing.

New pics below
    Surely you can do better than R39/m2 - Mine was R28/m2 and I know I didn't get the best price cos I chose a more convenient supplier...
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Simon.

Thank you for the info, I will check tomorrow. Just completed the cutting list. Who did you buy from?

Did you use 2mm Wall thickness or 1.6 WT?

Uys
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Simon.

Thank you for the info, I will check tomorrow. Just completed the cutting list. Who did you buy from?

Uys
    Maizey's, but I dunno if they have a branch in Pretoria, but that price is not particularly good.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Yes we have a Maizey's, 320 Mitchell st. Pretoria. 012 3522000. I bought plastic from them years ago.

The Maizey head office is in Mitchell street PTA (Nee, dit is nie Tshwane nie!!!). Their price was actually R48/m.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

The Maizey head office is in Mitchell street PTA (Nee, dit is nie Tshwane nie!!!). Their price was actually R48/m.
    That's odd - The price can't have gone up that much surely? The stuff I got was 25x25x2x6m. I still have the invoices.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Funny thing. I called Maizey's two weeks ago and got a written quote for 25 x 25 x 2 SQ Tube at R288/length (6 m length = R48/m).

I send a cut list this morning and just got the quote: R26-50 per meter and no additional charge for cutting to length. Results in a big saving!

BTW: Builder Centurion charges R58/m
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Funny thing. I called Maizey's two weeks ago and got a written quote for 25 x 25 x 2 SQ Tube at R288/length (6 m length = R48/m).

I send a cut list this morning and just got the quote: R26-50 per meter and no additional charge for cutting to length. Results in a big saving!

BTW: Builder Centurion charges R58/m
    Now that sounds about right...

Builders is a rip-off, but I used them once just to get a 2m length cos I don't want to have too much left over.

I cut the stuff myself. I didn't have a cut list because I wasn't sure how my "pseudo-design" would work out, and cut it up as I went along. As it turned out, when I finished I had 1 50cm length and 1 20cm length left

Looking forward to seeing the results. I'm really chuffed that people are taking this up themselves. It's incredibly simple to do, and why line people's pockets after paying for something that really is never quite what you want?

Just one word of advice - a mistake I made was not leave enough space to close the door with something plugged into the hella or light socket. I'm trying to source really flat male plugs as a result
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

I have 6 ammo boxes from OW, of which I plan to use only 4 in the drawer due to size constraints. The measurements is 440 x 315 x 210.

Uys
    I feel like such an ass!! The sizes of the Ammo boxes is 512 x 400 x 235, not as mentioned above!

This means that 90% of the Ali that I had cut to size is a waist!

Very expensive school fees - don't trust critical info from the web without verifying it!

Uys
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

I feel like such an ass!! The sizes of the Ammo boxes is 512 x 400 x 235, not as mentioned above!

This means that 90% of the Ali that I had cut to size is a waist!

Very expensive school fees - don't trust critical info from the web without verifying it!

Uys
    Eish man bru!!!

Your original dimensions are for gommo boxes? Not so?

You can still do something.

I WAS wondering how you could fit 4 ammo boxes in the back.....
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Ja, Total common sense failure, and laziness. My camping equipment is in a storeroom at an investment townhouse and I was too lazy to go and fetch it - that'll teach me.

Simon, you are absolutely right - I cannot get 4 ammo boxes in, or I can, but they'll push very hard against the second row seats.

The Ali is bought, the 900 mm slides is bought, so the solution is to make it wider so that I can get two box next to each other in, and then build two wood or Ali box that will go in front.

I'll keep you all updated.

Uys
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

Update:

After the massively stupid mistake I was able to re-use most of the Ali after a small design change. I had to make it a bit higher, 272mm section instead of 242mm, and wider. The over-all sizes is now 915 x 900 x 330.

I build the frame and cladded it yesterday, and stupidly (a word I seem to use a lot in this thread) forgot to take pics in the various stages of the building process. The frame is now done and cladded with 16 mm chipboard on top and 3mm plywood on the sides. I had these in my garage and decided to use it. It used pop rivits all around to fix the wood to the Ali and recessed the holes througth the 16 mm because the longest rivits BWH had in stock was 20mm.

The whole size delima ate into my space for the water tanks, and I will only be able to manage 45l now. Don't now if it is worth the effort - any advise on making this decision will be much appreciated.

Heading out to take some pics now.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

The pictures I promised:

The aluminum profiles I had cut by Maizeys. Next time I will buy and cut myself. They were up to 3mm out - luckily all to long.

The left side frame in the vehicle. This is when I first realised that it was to small.

Punching the profiles to lock onto the connector. I used a clamp to ensure the length is correct.

This is were I stoped taking pics of the process. I got a bit exited building it. The frame is now completed and cladded. Weight = 19kg as seen below. The top is not hanging, it just looks like it. I used both sides of my straight edge to check it, and there is 0.5 to 1 mm gap in the middle. I bought 40x40x1.5 Ali angle which I will use to finish the edges when the carpet is fitted.

From the bottom.

In the car. I am thinking of placing it offset, to the right, because the fridge will be positioned on the left of this frame. This will allow easier access to the pockets next tot he frame on the left hand side and provide bigger pockets for storage of a inverter, 3rd battery maybe, compressor etc.

Space left behind the seat

I bought a couple of extra connecters for "in case". I started building a RR ladder with them and the pieces that was cut to short.

So that is the story so far. I will try to finish the frame for the ammo crates and the fridge tomorrow night. I have decided to make these from 40 x 2.5 equal angle - mild steel instead of the original 50 x 3 Ali. To reduce on cost and finding sombody to weld the Ali for me. The weigh is 3.5 kg for the Ali vs 6.5 kg for the mild steel, so not significant. I still need to design the brackets to fix it to the car via the 3rd row seat mounting points. These will also double as carriers for the side flip tops.
    Last edited by Uys; 2008/06/08 at 07:51 PM.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

The pictures I promised:
    I'm sure the pictures are great!!! But where are they?
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast