Camping trailer research...please assist.

Default Camping trailer research...please assist.

Hi everyone,

I'm from Windhoek and looking at joining the camper/trailer movement. From my research (thanks to this website and it's users!) I managed to narrow it down to Camptech, Imagine and Skipper models. There are other trailers models I prefer more over the ones mentioned, but I have one serious restriction, I drive a 2003 Ford Focus 2.0L, enough said.

I will be doing limited gravel road driving (most gravel roads in Namibia not too bad), but mostly tar road driving. I do not have space for a caravan, although the fleetwood range (part caravan and part trailer) has caught my eye, must be very expensive though. I'm still deciding on adding this one to the list, wheight is an issue.

I'm leaning towards the Imagine, but older threads on this forum point out some build and finish quality issues. Does this still hold true today?

The Skipper models don't look to bad either. If I'm not mistaken they added a new model to their line-up, the teardrop I think. The first camper trailer with an island bed they claim. It is very hard to find people on the Internet that use the Skipper products. Please share your experiences and opinions regarding the Skipper products?

Camptech also have nice trailers and this would be my second choice. According to my research it seems to be a very popular and capable.

We are a family of five looking at doing extended camping trips, 2 weeks maximum. I want a degree of offroad capability in the trailer, just in case I get a bakkie or 4x4 in my christmas stocking (highly unlikely though).

Apart from the trailers mentioned above are there any other trailers anyone here can recommend I also look at?

Much appreciated!

Desmond

Hi DVDM

I own a Camptech Weekender trailer. This is the smallest of the lot. If I had to buy again I would look at the Camper or Bosvelder. (For a family of five probably the Camper)

I bought the Weekender with all the off-road mods from the manufacturer. I have had no problems with mine to date. It tows like a dream (because the are light and they are low behind the vehicle, not higher than my pickups loadbox at the back) and they are very dust proof because of the fibreglass body.

The mods that they include for the off-road versions are:
    15" rims and wheels
    Shock absorbers
    Treadplate cladding around the nose
    Jerry can holder
    Gas cylinder holder
    Fibre glass water tank with sheet metal protection underneath

I tow with a 2.5 liter TDI Double Cab and my consumption with the trailer is 9-10 km/l, my normal being 11 - 12 km/l.

Have a look at http://www.trailer.co.za/ They are dealers in Kyalami in both the Camptech and the Fleetwood range of trailers. It is worth chatting to them. By the way, if you do want the offroad mods, maybe request that they also put some cladding on the front of the wheel arches (not applicable to the Camper) as they stick out on the sides and stones hit them as they are kicked up by the pickup. I painted mine with rubberizing.

Hope this helps. (also view my pictures of my trailer at: http://hermanmullerza.spaces.live.co...useSlideshow=0)
    Last edited by HermanMuller; 2008/05/21 at 06:29 PM.
    Herman Müller
    2013 Renault Koleos 2.5 4WD
    2013 Renault Sandero Stepway

I am in exactly the same situation as Herman - Weekender with off-road mods.

We are a family of four and it is ideal for our use. Me & missus on the double bed and the kids have three options:

1. The 'add-a-room under the lid is a large 3/4 size and they would both sleep in there (For quick/easy stopover or one night) No main tent pitched.

2. One kid in the add-a-room and the other in the main tent (attached to the trailer)

3. Both outside in their own dome tent and the add-a-room used for storage etc.

In your case I would suggest the camper with one kid in the add-a-room and the other two in their own dome tent.

Cannot comment on the other Camptech trailers as I have not seen them in real life, only pictures.

We are extremely happy with our Camptech and should you decide on one, I could give you some ideas for fairly cheap storage inside.

Must mention that, if you or your wife are tall, the length of the bed in the Camptech is a bit short. Fortunately I am 1,73m tall so no problem, but taller than 1,8 meter no-no!

I did put some tread plating on my wheel arches and it helps a lot. Also added a 'roofrack' on the nose-cone section for the braaiwood etc.

Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decided upon.

I have a Camptech Camper and we will not swop it for anything else. Although I tow with a Land Crusier 4.5, the light weight is always a bonus. The tent and sleeping arrangement is what sold us initially. I have towed it with a 1600 Jetta and it coped well.

I have the 15" wheels and shock absorbers fitted and behind the LC it goes everywhere any other off road trailer can go.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Default Hello Desmond

I bought myself a Imagine trailvan 2+2 sleeper [ we are 2 adults and 2 small children ] beginning of Feb 08
    Yes, quality could be better, but to camp with it is a dream. With a silicon gun I repaired a couple of loose rubbers, nothing great.
    The trailvan in my opinion consists in any case 90% out of pop rivets and fibre glass.
    The height of the van plays a factor on my fuel bill as it sticks out quite a bit above my mazda dc. It is yet a very light trailer and tows like a dream both onroad and offroad. In 2 weeks I'm off to Botswana and shall then take the Imagine along
    If i had to choose again about what trailer to buy, it would be the imagine again.

Regards

I also recently bought the Imagine trailvan. I tow it with my 3500 Pajero. It really tows well both on and offroad. I am only a bit dissapointed with the finishings of the product and have made that clear to the manufacturers in no uncertain terms. I love the concept however. I am ready to open my first beer within 5-7 minutes of arriving at the destination (a huge +++++) if we are not putting up the awning/tent. It is configured for both one night sleepovers or taking another 30 minutes or so you are ready to camp forever!

Skippie

Default Trailers

Hi

I saw the Camptech a few weeks ago and was quite impressed by it. It all depends on what you want and need. We are looking for something for my father. After 15 years of bundu bashing in a tent he now wants a bit more comfort but nothing too fancy. As he has a Defender Tdi he also needs something fairly light. I though the camptech weekender will be a very good option.

I myself tow a Venter bushbaby (with eco family rooftop tent)which at the time was the lightest and i also think excellent value for money. We travel light but over time I have added extras (drawer system, battery system driven by solar panels, few lights all over, gas bottle holders inside the nosecone etc) and after 4 years and many thousands of KM's through Namibia, Botswana, lesotho, Swaziland, Moz and Zambia and local places like Richtersveld etc it did not even have a single puncture yet. It is still one of the cheapest trailers around but definately as tough and good quality as any other trailer.

Veldrot

Default Thank you

Thank you to everyone that replied to my thread so far, I really appreciate it!