Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Lead Crystal Battery

I am thinking of replacing my deep cycle fridge battery in my Landy with a lead crystal one.
    Can anyone let me know the advantages/disadvantages of doing this?

Jip, disadvantage. Its expensive. Advantage, it will probably last longer then the other batteries.
    Johan Kriel

From what I have heard the advantage of LC over DS is that with the LC it recovers much faster if you drained it a bit too much and that it lasts a lot longer.

Disadvantage, expensive.

btw, I just received two 100ah lead crystal batteries for free Gave one to my Dad. Will be testing them and provide feedback in due course.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

Is there not a weight advantage as well.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    Don't know what a deep cycle weighs, but my 100ah lead crystal tips the scales at 32kg's
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; Land Cruiser 105
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

I thought they would be lighter. Does not look like it
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Quote Originally Posted by Robbief View Post
    There is no weight advantage. As Nys says 32kg, I seem to remember mine checked in at 33kg. Lots of other advantages if you are prepared to spend the extra on the LC.

Quite a few people on the forum recommend it highly, and there was one blooper that was replaced eventually by Deltec - after a prolonged struggle.
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    There is no weight advantage. As Nys says 32kg, I seem to remember mine checked in at 33kg. Lots of other advantages if you are prepared to spend the extra on the LC.

Quite a few people on the forum recommend it highly, and there was one blooper that was replaced eventually by Deltec - after a prolonged struggle.
    Hi Eggie
    I use three LC batteries. Two 100ah in my Imagine comfort van and a 70ah as my secondary battery in the Disco. My observations are that the 100ah LC definitely has a smaller foot print that a 105ah Deltec has. And I use a NL 90lt dual fridge freezer in the van with the freezer constantly on -15 and over the 5 day period at Tsendze my voltage never dropped below 12.2 v , I had a similar experience at Mabua where other member of our group after day 1 were putting up panels to maintain their batteries. Now in the disco I have different issues which on my long trip earlier this year my cetec 250s pack up and my battery ran flat, so I bypassed it and in no time my battery was restored to full and stayed like that for the rest of the 35 day trip. Now the recent trip to Tsendze I was experimenting with a newly acquired 170w 10a solar panel and it was absolute crap. The panel through new cetec dual could not deliver more than 2.5 amps, so I thought I would try my BIL's pane 240w 15a and like wise no more that 2.5 a. Now he uses that panel on his van with a regulator and he get more than 8 amps so he was replenishing his batteries, another member of our party was also using a cetec with a panel and he could not even get more than 1 amp but when he bypassed it through a regulator he was charging between 6 and 8 amps. So now I have a funny feeling that the cetec dual is not so compatible with the LC batteries in terms of charge replenishment and driving back from the Kruger park my batteries through the cetec did not fully replenish both batteries but when I connected them to the mains both batteries were fully charged with in 45 min. Although my batteries did not fail me over the 5 day period I was disappointed that I could not replenish with all the supposedly hi tec equipment. Back to your OP, yes I do think LC batteries are well worth the money and they do recover very quickly and they are guaranteed I think for three years.

I have a 120ah LC and charge it through a Ctek 250. In April we were at Richtersveld De Hoop camp site for 5 nights and charged with two 85w panels.
    The battery was always fully charged by about 13:30. We were running a NL 90L.

Just wanted to say. Bushpower recommends charging the LC with a Ctek.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Just wanted to say. Bushpower recommends charging the LC with a Ctek.
    I currently use 2 x Optima AGM 75 a/h Blue Tops which is even more expensive than L/C. I bought them before L/C became available and they serve me well but will definitely change over to L/C when the time comes.

My concern is that Bushpower recommend the use of a Ctek D250S which can only charge 20A max. With 2 batteries it is not enough and to buy 2 will just become too expensive. Currently I charge from the alternator with very thick (35 mm sq) cable and almost get no voltage drop and after a day or so standing manage to charge 54 amp. 12 To the starter battery and 21 to each Optima. I use a digital clamp meter that can measure DC amp to measure it.

I use rollup Solar panels (Kalahari 249), 3 of 83 watt each with a 20A charge controller. I measured 16.5 A a few times at around midday on a clear day. That was in Moz and in the bushveld when we camped at one place for app 10 days. By around 14h00 the current dropped showing the batteries to be full.

I also has a Ctek XS25000 (now MXS 25) which I use if generator power is a available at resorts for only a few hours each day. The best I measured with it was 24.7 Amp.

Quote Originally Posted by PierredW View Post
    I currently use 2 x Optima AGM 75 a/h Blue Tops which is even more expensive than L/C. I bought them before L/C became available and they serve me well but will definitely change over to L/C when the time comes.

My concern is that Bushpower recommend the use of a Ctek D250S which can only charge 20A max. With 2 batteries it is not enough and to buy 2 will just become too expensive. Currently I charge from the alternator with very thick (35 mm sq) cable and almost get no voltage drop and after a day or so standing manage to charge 54 amp. 12 To the starter battery and 21 to each Optima. I use a digital clamp meter that can measure DC amp to measure it.

I use rollup Solar panels (Kalahari 249), 3 of 83 watt each with a 20A charge controller. I measured 16.5 A a few times at around midday on a clear day. That was in Moz and in the bushveld when we camped at one place for app 10 days. By around 14h00 the current dropped showing the batteries to be full.

I also has a Ctek XS25000 (now MXS 25) which I use if generator power is a available at resorts for only a few hours each day. The best I measured with it was 24.7 Amp.
    Hi Pierre
    I think you have just solved my problem. I only connected my solar panel after the second day to the dual L/C batteries and in order to replenish them to full I probably need more than 20 amps although I am not convinced that the Ctek was actually charging anything near 20 amps. I also have a MXS25 on mains and that pushes the batteries up to full in no time. Must invest in a digital clamp ammeter.

Where can I buy the Lead Cristal battery and what will the cost be? The Deltec in my Landcruiser gave in last weekend after 9 years. The ACdelco deepc's footprint is 1cm to big to fit in engine compartment. I run two 40 L Engel's, water pump, lights and a 2000w inverter(at times). In the back are two Acdelco 100Ah DC. On roof are a 100W solar panel. The solar will be upgraded to 255w panels in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Evert Möller View Post
    Where can I buy the Lead Cristal battery and what will the cost be? The Deltec in my Landcruiser gave in last weekend after 9 years. The ACdelco deepc's footprint is 1cm to big to fit in engine compartment. I run two 40 L Engel's, water pump, lights and a 2000w inverter(at times). In the back are two Acdelco 100Ah DC. On roof are a 100W solar panel. The solar will be upgraded to 255w panels in the next few days.
    Deltec, Wynberg Sandton = Google is your friend.

LC batteries are usually larger and heavier than the standard size. Check dimensions when you order.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

I have a 120ah LC (37kgs) looked after by a Ctek D250s dc-dc charger. No complaints, would not fit any other system.
    2019 Ford Ranger Wildtrak 2.0L bi-turbo A/T 10Spd 4x4
    Venter Offroader 4x4 trailer with howling moon tent

Previous: Suzuki GV 3.2 V6 A/T
    Current Platkar: BMW F30 330d A/T

I am very happy with my LC batteries and will never use a deep cycle again.
    BlinkGat Products
    Manufacturing of Aluminium
    custom made Products
    Sarel 082 820 9413
    www.blinkgatproducts.com

Have a look at

http://deltecpower.co.za/wp-content/...-Batteries.pdf

There is a table with battery sizes, dimensions etc. The dimensions of the 90a/h seem to me to be the largest size that will fit most vehicles. It is very much the same as for a 105 deep cycle but remember that you can drain it much lower than with a D/C and it charge very quickly back.

The digital clamp meter is a very handy tool. You can measure exactly the current that you charge. I got mine from AC DC ( http://www.acdc.co.za/ ). Just make sure you buy one that can measure DC current (amp). There are lots available but most can only measure AC current, only 2 or 3 that is in the right category. Don't buy the largest one, rather a smaller one as long as it can measure up to app. 100A. I got the BM2000B but it is a little bulky.
    Last edited by PierredW; 2014/09/25 at 06:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    I have a 120ah LC (37kgs) looked after by a Ctek D250s dc-dc charger. No complaints, would not fit any other system.
    It is the best option if you only have one aux battery. If you have two you need 2 Ctek's and then it just become too expensive. The Ctek also don't like heat so you must have space available outside the engine compartment to mount it and in my case two of them.

The good old Cole Hersee solenoid served me well over almost 14 years so I will stick to it. With a drive of 3 hours and charging the starter battery and 2 X Optima Batteries only with the Alternator I can run 2 X N/L 52L Weekenders for 40 hours without any charging. The biggest secret is to use thick cable, especially if one battery is in the rear or on a trailer. 35MM sq in my case which really is welding cable. N/L has a diagram on one of their PDF files and to see how much voltage drop you get over a distance with a high charge is a real eye opener. Have a look here and remember the length of cable is both Pos and Neg combined.

http://www.nationalluna.com/Datashee...e%20manual.pdf

Apologies, slightly off topic but could any one confirm what type of batteries these are, they came fitted in our Commander caravan we recently bought second hand. Also the system had a C- Tek MXV 7.0, so my question is are these deep cycle batteries. They are labeled 102ah but no sheer does it say deep cycle or am I missing the obvious here?

Thanks

Dylan
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dylan; 2014/09/25 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Problem with uploading photos
    Dylan
    LandRover Discovery III TDV6 S 2006

GP 0112

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast