Satara





Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Satara

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    71
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 0

    Default Satara

    Will be leaving for Satara KNP coming weekend.

    Advice on which road to travel will be appreciated.

    Plan to travel from Jhb via Witbank to Nelspuit and then Hazyview to enter at Orpen. Have to sleep over at Nelspruit as I can only depart 2pm. Thinking of Lakeview Lodge or maybe Leo.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Secunda
    Age
    61
    Posts
    935
    Thanked: 72

    Default

    Rather enter at Phabeni or Numbi , nice drive from there to Satara, also rather Schoemanskloof on N4 , far less trucks.Enjoy http://www.sanparks.org/images/parks...ls/knp_map.jpg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,436
    Thanked: 534

    Default

    Why not enter at Malelane or Croc Bridge.
    Less road works over weekend in Croc Gorge and you get to travel further in the Park.

    Satara really not THAT far from any of the above gates.
    Enjoy
    Last edited by hatjohan; 2014/09/22 at 04:57 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    59
    Posts
    443
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Crocodile Bridge to Satara is a big drive in the park - over 5 hours at the speed limit. If you stop at all, and you will, it's a whole day. Not saying you shouldn't - but factor 6 hours or you might miss the gate close.

    www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get.../distance_traveltime_combo.pdf

    Hazyview, then Pabeni or even Kruger Gate cuts out a lot of the trip if you don't have the time. Me - I travel in the park if I can.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,436
    Thanked: 534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durbsviking View Post
    Crocodile Bridge to Satara is a big drive in the park - over 5 hours at the speed limit. If you stop at all, and you will, it's a whole day. Not saying you shouldn't - but factor 6 hours or you might miss the gate close.

    www.sanparks.org/parks/kruger/get.../distance_traveltime_combo.pdf

    Hazyview, then Pabeni or even Kruger Gate cuts out a lot of the trip if you don't have the time. Me - I travel in the park if I can.
    Durbsviking, I do not disagree but kep in mind that that time is calculated at 25km/h, which is the ideal speed.
    But even at 40km/h (limit 50km/) it will take you just over three hours from Croc Bridge and 4 hours from Malelane. And yes, I know you may miss some animals etc, but you will gain in other ways and WITHOUT speeding.

    You may travel the remainder of your stay at 25km/h, but me - I would rather spend more time and more km's in the Park!

    The distances are 127km and 156 km via Croc B and Malelane respectively.

    I do not want to kick up a dust storm, but I would much rather travel at the not ideal speed of 40 within the park, than at 120 outside the park!

    Paterkie will sleep at Nelspruit, so could easilly be at Satara before closing time, and without speeding. And there will be enough time to stop at Sunset dam, the leopard along the way and have lunch at Tshokwane :-)

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Nylstroom
    Age
    37
    Posts
    905
    Thanked: 15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Durbsviking, I do not disagree but kep in mind that that time is calculated at 25km/h, which is the ideal speed.
    But even at 40km/h (limit 50km/) it will take you just over three hours from Croc Bridge and 4 hours from Malelane. And yes, I know you may miss some animals etc, but you will gain in other ways and WITHOUT speeding.

    You may travel the remainder of your stay at 25km/h, but me - I would rather spend more time and more km's in the Park!

    The distances are 127km and 156 km via Croc B and Malelane respectively.

    I do not want to kick up a dust storm, but I would much rather travel at the not ideal speed of 40 within the park, than at 120 outside the park!

    Paterkie will sleep at Nelspruit, so could easilly be at Satara before closing time, and without speeding. And there will be enough time to stop at Sunset dam, the leopard along the way and have lunch at Tshokwane :-)
    +1
    Toyota

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    59
    Posts
    443
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    Durbsviking, I do not disagree but kep in mind that that time is calculated at 25km/h, which is the ideal speed.
    But even at 40km/h (limit 50km/) it will take you just over three hours from Croc Bridge and 4 hours from Malelane. And yes, I know you may miss some animals etc, but you will gain in other ways and WITHOUT speeding.

    You may travel the remainder of your stay at 25km/h, but me - I would rather spend more time and more km's in the Park!

    The distances are 127km and 156 km via Croc B and Malelane respectively.

    I do not want to kick up a dust storm, but I would much rather travel at the not ideal speed of 40 within the park, than at 120 outside the park!

    Paterkie will sleep at Nelspruit, so could easilly be at Satara before closing time, and without speeding. And there will be enough time to stop at Sunset dam, the leopard along the way and have lunch at Tshokwane :-)
    As I said, I prefer to drive in the park. The issue comes in when people get to Croc bridge at noon and then set out for Satara, get caught up in a lion siting near Sabie or Skukuza and lose an hour just getting past the cars.

    Agree 100% about staying in the park.

    Last December we set off for Durban from Hazyview. Had is all sorted out - Sabie by 8am, Croc Bridge by 9:30, Durban by 4pm. Hah!!

    Into Kruger gate, 100m down, leopard. "Lost" 45 minutes. Just short of Skukuza - dogs. Another 45 minutes. Stopped at Skukuza for a bathroom break. Before Sabie, lion. More lion to the left towards Dukes, black rhino and ele soon after that, then another leopard before Croc Bridge. Result - got to Croc bridge at 1:45.

    Got to Managa at 3:00pm, Golela at abot 5:30pm, home at 8.45pm or so. That's the way it goes in Kruger ... so now I plan for lots of time.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Chintsa East
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,284
    Thanked: 368

    Default

    Agree with all the above, I always sleep as close as I can eg for you maybe Malelane lodge so that you can easily be at the gate at opening. Trick with kruger is not to spend your first night, ie the day you are allowed in driving from JHB or even 150 k out to the park. Then spend as much time on the road as possible, have your drinks/food organised be ready for anything. Remember too that if you run late and need to bypass a lion sighting you just do the S100 just south of Satara I am almost about to stick my neck out and guarantee you lion there. Enjoy, remember you start the braai fire at gate closing time.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Tshwanetoria
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,436
    Thanked: 534

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durbsviking View Post
    As I said, I prefer to drive in the park. The issue comes in when people get to Croc bridge at noon and then set out for Satara, get caught up in a lion siting near Sabie or Skukuza and lose an hour just getting past the cars.

    Agree 100% about staying in the park.

    Last December we set off for Durban from Hazyview. Had is all sorted out - Sabie by 8am, Croc Bridge by 9:30, Durban by 4pm. Hah!!

    Into Kruger gate, 100m down, leopard. "Lost" 45 minutes. Just short of Skukuza - dogs. Another 45 minutes. Stopped at Skukuza for a bathroom break. Before Sabie, lion. More lion to the left towards Dukes, black rhino and ele soon after that, then another leopard before Croc Bridge. Result - got to Croc bridge at 1:45.

    Got to Managa at 3:00pm, Golela at abot 5:30pm, home at 8.45pm or so. That's the way it goes in Kruger ... so now I plan for lots of time.
    Lucky you! Often these "quickies" produced the best results. I have once on my last day travelled from Shingwedzi to Malelane (i NEVER exceeded the speed limit) and saw more animals than the preceding two weeks (during which time a crawled through the Park)! But then you must be disseplined at the stops (I would rather stop for 5 mins at a lion or whatever, than not seeing any at all) and use your cruise controll. We only arrived back home late that evening, but it was worth it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Krugersdorp
    Age
    71
    Posts
    119
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    After reconsidering I am rather going for Orpen via Lydenburg, Strijdom tunnel and Klaserie.

    Have to then sleep over at Lydenburg.

Similar Threads

  1. Kamp in Satara
    By Sorrie in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2014/06/10, 06:10 AM
  2. Trip to Satara
    By Ian Lane in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2013/05/23, 08:17 PM
  3. Buff kill on Satara webcam
    By JennyB in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 2012/05/16, 10:29 AM
  4. Weather in Kruger (Satara & Letaba)
    By jjoubert in forum Mpumalanga
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2012/03/16, 12:49 PM
  5. 25-29 Nov @ Satara in KNP...Pics!
    By Benphala in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2010/12/05, 11:55 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •