Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Chobe / Savuti / Moremi in a ground tent?

My December trip is booked and paid for..... three of us off to the wild of Moremi/Savuti/Chobe!

Haven't been that way for 25 years or so, and want to know if a nylon ground tent is suitable. I do know to pack EVERYTHING away when going to sleep, and keeping the car close and unlocked for emergencies....

Just wanting opinions on whether the nylon ground tent is OK. I will go get a rooftop if I have to, but rather reticent since there are only 3 nights of camping.... and it will be a big weight to cart around on top of the car.

Just returned from Botswana camping all the way from 3rd bridge right up to Savute in a coleman instant 7 nylon tent..no problems although we had our nightly visits from Elephants and hyenas. Just apply common sense (as I know you will) and you will be fine
    For interesting sake I took a lightweight plastic rake with a short handle with to rake the area around our tent before going to sleep...interesting to see all the different footprints that come to visit during the night!

As above, no problems with nylon tents, just don't leave any food whatsoever inside the tent, even sealed boxes, closed cooler boxes etc - baboons will tear it.. been using my 4-man for regular trips over the last 3 years... not sure i would feel the same in one of those tiny hiking tents though??

I only use a ground tent on trips. Been in Chobe etc a few times as well as Mabua and all okay.

+1 on what the other posters have said.

I would venture to suggest that you`d sleep better in a RTT, but its not worth the outlay (and weight & additional fuel etc) if its just for 3 nights.

Enjoy the trip!
    Ross H

99 4.2TD Patrol aka "the Polar Bear"

Quote Originally Posted by Photorer View Post
    My December trip is booked and paid for..... three of us off to the wild of Moremi/Savuti/Chobe! Haven't been that way for 25 years or so, and want to know if a nylon ground tent is suitable. I do know to pack EVERYTHING away when going to sleep, and keeping the car close and unlocked for emergencies.... Just wanting opinions on whether the nylon ground tent is OK. I will go get a rooftop if I have to, but rather reticent since there are only 3 nights of camping.... and it will be a big weight to cart around on top of the car.
    What vehicle? We rent campers. Look at Blinkgatproducts and then the rental part.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Botha View Post
    For interesting sake I took a lightweight plastic rake with a short handle with to rake the area around our tent before going to sleep...interesting to see all the different footprints that come to visit during the night!
    I like this idea.
    1999 Isuzu Frontier 280DT

Thanks for the vote of confidence..... I have quite a large tent, so we'll be quite spacious enough. The nylon tent is nice and compact and light, so will not take up too much space. I will make sure we only have ourselves in the tent, to keep the creatures away!

The idea of a rake to keep the area outside your tent clean is a good one. I always take a brush and pan along, mainly to keep the inside of the tent clean and free of debris, so an addition of a plastic rake or broom is a good one!

Thanks!

Talking

And the rake also doubles up as a water depth meter and "go away croc" tool

++ all the above. Some 18 years ago we were camped at 3rd Bridge and I won the toss to sleep in the tent, with my wife and daughter in the landie. Was woken around 1 in the morning by a lion sniffing at the tent; I was obviously of little interest (there goes my self-esteem..) as the lion just walked on.

One warning: keep a sharp look-out for snakes or scorpions when taking your tent down. Sometimes they'll spend the night underneath to steal some warmth.

Also if in a ground tent ,do not sleep with your head touching the sides ,sleep at least a foot away .Lions and hyenas are know to have taken a bite at the bulge sticking out from the canvas or plastic !!!

+1 Puma... i do recall a story of someone being dragged around a campsite in their tent by their elbow that had been pushing against the nylon...
    Last edited by Wapenamanda; 2014/09/14 at 09:39 AM.

If it's a large tent it should be ok. We also always use ground tent and we had no problems at Ihaha, Savuti or Moremi.

Wrangler Sahara 3.8
    Ex: 2004 Grand Cherokee 4.7
    Ex: 2001 Cherokee XJ 4.0
    Ex: 1997 Cherokee XJ 4.0

Quote Originally Posted by Wapenamanda View Post
    +1 Puma... i do recall a story of someone being dragged around a campsite in their tent by their elbow that had been pushing against the nylon...
    A few years ago a lady was killed in Moremi ,I think .by a lioness ,took her through the canvas tent by the head !!!!

Default Chobe / Savuti / Moremi in a ground tent?

We used ground tents last year december in Moremi, Khwai and Savuti. Didn't have any problems with lions or hyenas.

Our rule is to never get out of the tent during the night without asking somebody to keep an eye on the surroundings with the spotlight.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
    I have just invested in one of these Coleman Instant Tents - very quick ot set up, and it looks like it will have plenty of space for three of us.
    http://www.takealot.com/coleman-six-...t/PLID29423495

Will have to practice setting it up a little before we go....

Thanks also for the tips about creepies - will keep a sharp eye out!

Last two trips to Moremi, sleeping in a ground tent, we had lions pretty close by roaring away, eish nerve racking!

Want a quick tent to erect, try the Oztents.

Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread.
    Anyone know where you can buy Oztents in Cape Town area?
    Thanks.

shfish:
    I have had excellent service and received my new Coleman in just 2 days from Takealot! (And it was cheaper than anywhere else I could source!) The tent was sent from Cape Town, so it might be possible to get one there.

As far as Oztents go, I can't comment, but give Takealot a try - if you know what you're looking for, then it is a simple matter of ordering online, and getting it delivered to your door!

4x4 mega world - they are the agents

If you are using stretchers take one along to make sure it fits.

They have the whole OZ range pitched. RV4 and 5 usually fine for stretchers.

Quote Originally Posted by shfish View Post
    Sorry I'm a bit late on this thread.
    Anyone know where you can buy Oztents in Cape Town area?
    Thanks.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast