solar panel to sell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default solar panel to sell

Hi guys i want to sell my solar panels that i was using for camping because they weigh a ton, want to get something lighter. i have 4x Solarworld sw 50 poly rma panels any idea of how much i could sell then for.

Default Re: solar panel to sell

Are these still available new?

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

i brought a 4x4 trailer and the solar panels came with the trailer. so i dont know how old they are.

If they are in good condition R500 per panel is fair
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 840 000 km

cool thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    If they are in good condition R500 per panel is fair
    Going rate retail for solar panels are now at about R6.50/watt

So R500 for 50 W panels secondhand is very high in my opinion.

But if you someone is willing to pay R500 per panel well done to you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiaan Pot For This Useful Post:

Lxv

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post

Agreed, BUT those are Solarworld Panels....

and see:
    https://4x4direct.co.za/fixed-solar-...l-18-volt.html
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2019/10/08 at 01:03 PM.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 840 000 km

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiaan Pot View Post

R6.50/watt is only on larger 72 cell 300 Watt class panels in bulk, not little 50W camping toys..

However, having said that, a 30 second google reveals a whole bunch of dealers selling 50W panels in the R500 ball park. (Presumably reject junk stuff)

But the panels in question are SolarWorld so they are the RollsRoyce of PV panels and are normally in the R700-800 bracket.

R500 is pushing it even for somebody prepared to pay premium for premium. Maybe R400-R450 is more in line.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    Agreed, BUT those are Solarworld Panels....

and see:
    https://4x4direct.co.za/fixed-solar-...l-18-volt.html
    You posted while I was typing.

I would rather buy a secondhand Solarworld than a No-name brand for the same price.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all the info guys. so the panels ive got are a good make. i used them this year in Botswana for 3 weeks and they did the job. they just weigh a lot and to move them and to set up and pack away was a pain. so im thinking of betting the flexible solar panels. any thoughts on this or should i stick with what i got

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    Thanks for all the info guys. so the panels ive got are a good make. i used them this year in Botswana for 3 weeks and they did the job. they just weigh a lot and to move them and to set up and pack away was a pain. so im thinking of betting the flexible solar panels. any thoughts on this or should i stick with what i got

Stick with what you got and fine tune the mechanics of how you deploy and store them.

Depending on what you are doing and how they are wired you may get away with only deploying 2 of the panels at a time for 90% of your outings and only need the extra two in severe conditions.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/10/08 at 05:24 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

the panels are wired in parallel. im running 2 x Royal 1150k batteries with sk20d controller
    fridge is a national luna 52l weekender as a fridge and a 30l or 40l for a freezer.
    Last edited by Mitchel; 2019/10/09 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchel View Post
    I bought flexible panels (badger from 4x4 direct) becuase of weight considerations. Photo below is after 1 year. Although they still work, am thinking of getting glass because there is no plastic coating to crack, bubble and peel.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    I bought flexible panels (badger from 4x4 direct) becuase of weight considerations. Photo below is after 1 year. Although they still work, am thinking of getting glass because there is no plastic coating to crack, bubble and peel.
    Oi. That is not nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lxv View Post
    I am soooo very glad that someone has finally demonstrated very clearly just what a rip-off these LARGER rediculously more expensive light weight "semi-flex" panels are. Its not the fault of the 4x4 directs of the world - as it is the manufacturers and wholesale marketers of these "things" that come up with all the bull and hype.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    I am soooo very glad that someone has finally demonstrated very clearly just what a rip-off these LARGER rediculously more expensive light weight "semi-flex" panels are. Its not the fault of the 4x4 directs of the world - as it is the manufacturers and wholesale marketers of these "things" that come up with all the bull and hype.
    Not quite a fair assessment.

They just plain are more expensive to produce. More solid solar panels are probably manufactured in 60S worldwide, than the total production of flex or semi-flexible panels ever made, in production now and expected production in the future.

So not only actual production costs but also lack of R&D into development of new materials also suffers.

It’s a very specialized product for a minute niche market.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/10/14 at 09:22 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Fluffy also from direct personal experience I must respectfully disagree as regards quality and resiliance if these larger semi-flex panels. I would not like to see others paying expensive "school fees" going down the big 80 to 120w semi flex panel path by not responding.

The other member has demonstrated clearly that within a year the top laminates on these size panels cannot take the beating from the sun. The materials available and used are clearly just not advanced enough to remain uncompromised in the longer term.

In my case the 100w semi -flex panel was defective from the start and through a process of elimination working with the supplier the end conclusion was that the panel was already damaged in the import transport process (multiple micro cracking of the silicone wafers was the conclusion). Also the supplier then tested all the panels in the batch imported and most were similarly defective. If this can happen in the import process then I have to question their longivity in the overlanding circumstance. All this resulted fortunately in a refund but the under roofrack slider system I built for the panel became a somewhat expensive white elephant.

The supplier did give me a 100w multiple semi-flex foldup panel set (also very expensive)to try out but the connection box on the panel was rediculously small (half matchbox size) and the wiring from the panel set was so rediculously thin - really it was just a toy rather than a serious overlanding panel.

So my advice from this experience is also that one ought to make do with the albeit heavier but tried and tested, rigid glass and alu frame panels and make a plan accordingly.

It is really easy connecting these rigid panels up in parallel (or even series) via standard available connectors which does at least give you the flexibility of either larger panel/s permanently mounted on the vehicle/trailer/caravan or a smaller set of eg 3 x 50w panels in a table bag (as I have now and which works perfectly). The 50w size set in the bag is also easily stored upright in a convenient out of the way place in the vehicle when travelling and the set, although heavy, is not unmanagably heavy to lift in and out of the vehicle.

This is the plain and simple current reality the way I have personally experienced it.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roadman For This Useful Post:

Thank you for that Roadman.

I however have had the opposite experience. A form member imported some panels and I bought one off him some 5 years ago now and it has performed very well and is still in very good condition. I even use it at home to keep the aux batteries topped up, so it is used very often.

As you have alluded to though, some will jump on the band wagon and pass off an inferior product as the real deal.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Hi Stranger

What was the panels brand that you have? Presume you mean they where also semi-flexible.

I want to buy semi flexible, and was going to get the badgers, but this has put me off.
    2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD Overland - GDE Eco Tune + 2" Lift on 265/70/17 BFG KO2's
    2017 Venter Savuti + Tentco Jnr, Dometic CF50 Fridge + Snomaster Battery Box
    --
    Ex - 2005 Cherokee CRD

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    Ok wait!

I sent the photo and receipt to 4x4 direct yesterday after posting the photo.

Got a call from their Boksburg branch this morning.

They explained that there is a protective plastic coating over the panels to protect them during shipping and installation, this should have been peeled off by me.

In my defence, there was nothing in the instructions about this protective film.

Nonetheless, the manufacturer is prepared to replace with new units, I just have to take them to the nearest 4x4 direct branch for a straight swap.

This is pretty impressive customer service and as for the panels themselves, they work extremely well. Even under full cloud cover, with fridge running and stuff charging off the aux battery, they charge at a rate faster than the current draw.

I am very happy with this product and very pleased about the way my issue was handled.

I would highly recommend the Badger semi-flex but PEEL OFF THE PROTECTIVE FILM AFTER INSTALLATION (!!) :-)

Going to post this in the general section so that more people see it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast