Howling Moon: Pulsar vs the Strata?

Default Howling Moon: Pulsar vs the Strata?

I am trying to decide between the Howling Moon Strata and what is called the Pulsar tent. I have read a lot of stuff on the forum about the Strata but can find nothing on the Pulsar. I think it may be a new model - it is a large double dome tent that weighs 24 kg (pic attached).

Has anyone used the Pulsar? My main concern is that it will be a mission to erect and pack away. Is the Strata easy to put up and pack away? I know that if I get the Strata I have the option of the extension - but the main downside is the weight as the extension weighs more than the actual tent! I am going on a trip soon to Namibia with my 3 year old so I think having two rooms in the tent may be a good idea.

I have also read some posts where people have suggested the natural instinct tents from outdoor warehouse. Are these tents comparable in quality to the howling moon models?

Any comments or advice would be appreciated...

Thanks!

Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Greg, I have got the Strata 3mx3m lovely tent, easy to erect and pack away. Lots of space inside with a double mattress. Can't comment on the pulsar.
    It also depends on what you are going to do. If you are travelling and not standing for more than 2 nights in one place, you don't need the extra space but if you are standing in one place for longer periods it might be worthwhile to go for the bigger tent.

Toyota Prado 4.0
    Toyota RunX
    BushLapa 357

Thanks for the reply...

We are going to be doing a 3.5 week road trip and will be spending on average 2 or 3 nights in a place (4 in Etosha) so a fair amount of moving around which is why I am concerned about time taken to erect...

Something to think about: You can add on later to the Strata by getting another Strata and then the extension in between, making it one huge tent. So you only take with what you need at any point in time. I doubt if you would be able to do that with the Pulsar.

Louis

Stock standard 99 Pajero 3.5

Hello!
    I have the Strata and the extention. Very happy with both but usually only rig the extention if I staying 3 days or more at a spot.
    Sterkte.
    Bruce

fred resurrection

Do one still get the Pulsar and Strata tents?

was meaning to buy one a year or so back but things didnt work out as it should. Now time has come and looking for a decent bush camping tent again.
    Its only funny until someone gets hurt.
    Swambo: LadyangeL
    2001 Pajero 3.2 Di-D LWB Manual & Auto
    2013 Metalian Maxi Trailer aka BOSSIE
    2011 Conqueror Companion

I have two Stratas as well as a single extension (for one tent) and also a double extension (a tent fits on either side of the extension) and use what is needed according to where as well as the duration of the camping trip etc. They are very easy to set up and dismantle and are good value for money.

BMW X3 2.0D

Default Howling Moon Strata

Morning Greg i purges two years ago the howling moon strata my
    daughter is using it when we are camping. We were at Devoetpatkloof and the rain came down like mad she was dry the hole time let me ensure you the strata tent is awsome. Sterkte

Default Re: Howling Moon: Pulsar vs the Strata?

I again, have the Pulsar and do not know the Strata, but the Pulsar is a lovely tent and can withstand most of what the weather can throw at you, especially rain. No add-ons however, but very easy to pitch and take down. Reasonable space as well

Default Re: Howling Moon Strata 2 Review

Quote Originally Posted by Attie Meyer View Post
    I again, have the Pulsar and do not know the Strata, but the Pulsar is a lovely tent and can withstand most of what the weather can throw at you, especially rain. No add-ons however, but very easy to pitch and take down. Reasonable space as well
    I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for a review on the Strata 2 and this came up so I thought I would add my bit for what it is worth. I bought the Strata 2 and a Bush Dome with an extension about two years ago. I have used the tents a few times (but not the extension), so thought I would add some of my findings. Generally the tents are well made, but quite expensive.

I don't mind paying for quality, but the Howling Moon falls down in this respect in a few ways, so my comments/findings about the Strata 2 are as follows:

Bad:
    1. The tent pegs supplied are wire and not spring steel - try and knock those into hard ground without ending up with a pile of messy bent pegs - why not supply quality spring steel pegs? Stupid lack of attention to quality.
    2. The front awning cannot be erected in a way to prevent rain catching in it. Result is that if you are away (or sleeping) and it rains, the whole roof collapses with the weight of the collected water. The only way to prevent this is to remove the poles and guy it straight down - not very practical.
    3. The tent is not quick and simple to erect - there are so many ropes and pegs. I am not convinced it could easily be erected by one person.
    4. The packed tent is very large and heavy. I think the whole bag weighs about 25kg
    5. Rain water leaks through stitched areas on windows.
    6. The ties that are provided to attach the flysheet to the tent poles are far to thick and stiff to be tied. Because they are impractical to tie, we end up not tying them which reduces the stability/robustness of the tent in strong winds. These should be a simple clip type arrangements or at least something more practical and easy to tie.

Good:
    1. The tent is roomy inside and comfortably sleeps two and can fit 3 if in a push.
    2. Tent feels solid when erected which I guess is why it is so heavy.
    3. Tent is fitted with mosquito screens on windows and doors which is great
    4. For some reason the Strata 2 has a little aperture for the electrical supply to enter the tent whereas the Bush Dome doesn't - strange omission (cost saving?) as it is a clever feature that keeps rats and snakes out and you don't need to trip over it at the door.
    5. The small built in ground sheet outside the entrance of the Strata 2 is clever in minimising mud and sand from getting into the tent.

Would I buy a Strata 2 again - probably, but there may now be others to consider.

Default Re: Howling Moon Strata 2 Review

Quote Originally Posted by netorius77 View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I was looking for a review on the Strata 2 and this came up so I thought I would add my bit for what it is worth. I bought the Strata 2 and a Bush Dome with an extension about two years ago. I have used the tents a few times (but not the extension), so thought I would add some of my findings. Generally the tents are well made, but quite expensive.

I don't mind paying for quality, but the Howling Moon falls down in this respect in a few ways, so my comments/findings about the Strata 2 are as follows:

Bad:
    1. The tent pegs supplied are wire and not spring steel - try and knock those into hard ground without ending up with a pile of messy bent pegs - why not supply quality spring steel pegs? Stupid lack of attention to quality.
    2. The front awning cannot be erected in a way to prevent rain catching in it. Result is that if you are away (or sleeping) and it rains, the whole roof collapses with the weight of the collected water. The only way to prevent this is to remove the poles and guy it straight down - not very practical.
    3. The tent is not quick and simple to erect - there are so many ropes and pegs. I am not convinced it could easily be erected by one person.
    4. The packed tent is very large and heavy. I think the whole bag weighs about 25kg
    5. Rain water leaks through stitched areas on windows.
    6. The ties that are provided to attach the flysheet to the tent poles are far to thick and stiff to be tied. Because they are impractical to tie, we end up not tying them which reduces the stability/robustness of the tent in strong winds. These should be a simple clip type arrangements or at least something more practical and easy to tie.

Good:
    1. The tent is roomy inside and comfortably sleeps two and can fit 3 if in a push.
    2. Tent feels solid when erected which I guess is why it is so heavy.
    3. Tent is fitted with mosquito screens on windows and doors which is great
    4. For some reason the Strata 2 has a little aperture for the electrical supply to enter the tent whereas the Bush Dome doesn't - strange omission (cost saving?) as it is a clever feature that keeps rats and snakes out and you don't need to trip over it at the door.
    5. The small built in ground sheet outside the entrance of the Strata 2 is clever in minimising mud and sand from getting into the tent.

Would I buy a Strata 2 again - probably, but there may now be others to consider.

Many thanks for your review I was considering this as a solo 4x4 option but will now shelve it in favor of a better 2.5 x 2.5 canvas option if i can find a cheapish 2nd hand one.
    Appreciate your effort.
    Andrew.

Here is the extension

3x3 Dome Tent

Default Re: Howling Moon - Part of Jurgens Ci?

As I understand it, Howling Moon are Part of the Jurgens Ci group. I read that Jurgens were going into liquidation which might explain why things are not the same quality they used to be. https://www.caravansa.co.za/jurgens-...l-liquidation/

Can anyone offer any confirmation?

Quote Originally Posted by netorius77 View Post
    As I understand it, Howling Moon are Part of the Jurgens Ci group. I read that Jurgens were going into liquidation which might explain why things are not the same quality they used to be. https://www.caravansa.co.za/jurgens-...l-liquidation/

Can anyone offer any confirmation?
    Jurgens has been resurrected and as far as I understand, so will Howling Moon.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Hi Gregd,

I own a Strata Bushdome 3x3 and can confirm that it is a brilliant tent. Have it for about 7 years now and it has done 2 Namibia trips and numerous Kruger weekends. It survived a hectic thunderstorm in Etosha with flying colours.

Our normal setup includes a 3x3 gazebo in front of the tent.

As noted by Netorius77, the front flysheet "stoep" does have a tendency to collect rainwater. To solve this we attach the 'stoep' directly to the gazebo. A broomstick is then laid underneath the flysheet from the gazebo to the tent. Any rainwater then runs off the side.

Just note that although you can erect this tent by yourself, it helps having an extra pair of hands. Pitching the Strata alone with toddlers running around makes for fun watching.

If it is just you and your 3 year old, also look at the Tentco JNR.

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Jurgens has been resurrected and as far as I understand, so will Howling Moon.
    Do you have any more information about this? VERY interested if/when I can get Howling Moot RTTs again..

Brian

Default Re: Howling Moon - Part of Campworld?

Quote Originally Posted by 1Vision View Post
    Do you have any more information about this? VERY interested if/when I can get Howling Moon RTTs again..
    Brian
    I see if you go to the Howling Moon website they have the Campworld logo there as well - not sure if there has been some kind of merger there.

Unfortunately for me, the poor quality and customer support of past, in my experience, leaves me with distrust of the brand. With so many other options out there to choose from (and mostly costing less) we are spoilt for choice.