Benton BX-1(M), BX-2, BX-4, BX-5 Multi-Stage Automatic Battery Chargers - Page 18

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Default Re: Benton BX-1(M), BX-2, BX-4, BX-5 Multi-Stage Automatic Battery Chargers

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    The BENTON Range of automatic regulated Battery Maintenance Chargers comprises a range of fully Automatic Chargers capable of charging 6v, 12v or 24v batteries at various rates from 750mA to 25A, as per the chart below. Powered by the Benton XB2 processor which is a smart processor that makes the charger faster, more powerful, reliable and smarter, they have proven themselves to be a major force in battery charger technology. There is no risk of overcharging batteries.

We stock all models above except for the SB-380, BX-3 and BX-6 units.

BX-1 (Pro) FEATURES:

This Pro version replaces the older BX-1 & BX-1 (M) versions.

The Charger is described as:

FEATURES

BENTON BX-1(PRO) is a smart, 5-step fully automatic switch mode battery charger and maintainer, designed for charging a variety of SLA (sealed lead acid) batteries, widely used in motorcycles, cars, ATVs, boats, trucks, Jet Skis and Snowmobiles, communication equipment, information technology equipment, medical equipment, scientific equipment etc. The batteries may be of various types i.e. WET/Flooded, GEL, AGM batteries capacity from 12V/1.2 Ah to 12V/120 Ah. The BX-1 PRO also charges batteries in cold conditions, recovers slightly sulfated batteries and rescues drained battery as low as 3.0V. It provides trickle charge and maintenance charging which increase battery life and gives superb performance.

PRODUCT SAFETY FEATURES

* Electronically safe against User-errors. The Charger will not damage vehicle electronics. It is totally safe for months-long connections and maintenance of irregularly or seasonally used batteries, even while the charger is still connected to the vehicle. It provides optimal conditioning without damage. There is no risk of over-charging!

* Full protection against wrong connections and against short-circuits ensures safe charging operation.

* The new BX-1(Pro) auto-reverts to the selected Charge mode after a power-interruption.

* Fully controlled by internal Micro-Computer Unit which makes it faster, powerful, reliable and smarter. It detects the state of charge of the battery plugged into it and initiates charging.

* Dust and Splash-proof (IP65).

* Double insulated.

TECHNICAL DATA
    Input Voltage: 220~240V AC.
    Charging Voltage: 14.4V or 14.7V.
    Charging Current: 3.8A ±10% or 0.8A ±10%

BULK CHARGING TIME
    Battery Size: 60A - ±80% Charge, 14 Hours
    Battery Size: 100A - ±80% Charge, 23 Hours
    Battery Size: 120A - ±80% Charge, 24 Hours
    Battery Capacity: 1.2 - 120 AH/r

BX-2 FEATURES:

BRIEF DESCRIPTION:
    Using state of the art technology, the Charger enables the re-charging of Batteries to almost 100% of their original capacity. The BX-2 Charger automatically diagnoses, recovers, charges and maintains batteries for months, fully automatic operation from Charge to Maintenance modes. Six operations options are available - 28.8V, 29.4V, 14.4V, 14.7V, 13.6V Supply and 16V Boost.
    * It recovers slightly sulphated batteries.
    * It diagnoses and rescues drained batteries.
    * It provides Trickle Charge and Maintenance Charging which increases Battery life/

The BX-2 Charger 7-Step Fully Automatic Charger provides six output options to meet numerous requirements as listed in the table below as well as a 13.6v DC Supply and 16v Boost.

It features a 10-Stage charging strategy, i.e. Pulse Charge, 7A, 5A, 3.5A, 1.5A 200mA, Boost Charge, Maintenance & Power Supply.

It has a Memory Function. The Charger returns to the last selected Mode automatically when power is restored. (This function is disabled for 13.6v SUPPLY and 16v BOOST modes).

TECHNICAL DATA:
    CHARGING VOLTAGE: 28.8v or 29.4v; 14.4v or 14.7v; 13.6v or 16.5v
    CHARGING CURRENT: 7.0A or 5A or 3A or 1.5A
    AMBIENT TEMPERATURE: -20°C to +50°C
    TYPE OF CHARGER: Seven stage, fully Automatic, Switch Mode with Maintenance Charging
    TYPE OF BATTERIES: 12V & 24V Lease Acid Batteries, (WET, MF, AGM and GEL)
    BATTERY CAPACITY: 14 - 230Ah (for 12v); 14 - 120Ah (for 24v)
    HOUSING PROTECTION: IP65

A range of product Videos may be viewed here:

BENTON PRODUCT VIDEOS

FORUM PRICE: Please send me a PM

-F_D
    Hi Family_dog

I have a BentonBX2 Charger that has been brilliant over the last couple years - However I now wanted to charge a Battery and Nothing Happened
    the Power light is on but there is nit Charge indicator that comes on - I tried another Battery and still the same thing, I then proceeded to check the Connections on the Crocodile clips and they seem fine, and when up to the Cable connection point and that seems fine,
    Can you Help ??

Thanks Brad

Yeldarb Mahdorf -Toyota Hilux DC 2.7
    Swambo - Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

Default Re: Benton BX-1(M), BX-2, BX-4, BX-5 Multi-Stage Automatic Battery Chargers

Hi Brad,

What battery, one that falls into the BX-2 compatibility chart above? If the charger does not "recognise" the battery, it will not charge, for example some of the 7A Alarm batteries.

The other thing to check for is for corrosion of the red quick-connector. Some years ago I had a vehicle under shade netting outside permanently connected to the BX-2 and it also stopped charging. Problem was a corroded connector which got soaked after 3-4 years outside and of course getting wet when it rained.

You might also want to change the Mode setting to Power Supply, you should get 13.5v at the terminals without any battery connected.

Let me know.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Hi Brad,

What battery, one that falls into the BX-2 compatibility chart above? If the charger does not "recognise" the battery, it will not charge, for example some of the 7A Alarm batteries.

The other thing to check for is for corrosion of the red quick-connector. Some years ago I had a vehicle under shade netting outside permanently connected to the BX-2 and it also stopped charging. Problem was a corroded connector which got soaked after 3-4 years outside and of course getting wet when it rained.

You might also want to change the Mode setting to Power Supply, you should get 13.5v at the terminals without any battery connected.

Let me know.

-F_D
    Hi Eric

I Have 2x 105 Deltec Deepcycle batteries and 1x Deltec high cycle battery _ the Benton has worked flawlessly for the last 2 years on these - all Still have a green view window and are in good health, Ive checked all the Points and they are perfect, Everything lives in a Breathable box in my garage, How do I change the Mode when I push the little button nothing happens

Yeldarb Mahdorf -Toyota Hilux DC 2.7
    Swambo - Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

What I have noticed is that if the battery voltage is too low the charger will not reccognise it and won't charge.

Yep, in that case you need to make use of the boost mode. Brad's batteries are all fully charged, according to the green indicator so that would not be the problem here.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karoo Klong View Post
    What I have noticed is that if the battery voltage is too low the charger will not reccognise it and won't charge.
    For chargers without such a button/mode:

Connect the charger to a "full" battery and switch on
    Then connect the "dead" battery in parallel to the battery above, after some minutes, remove the "full" battery without breaking the circuit between the charger and the the "dead"" one
    If it does not work, do it from scratch but leave the "full" battery connected a bit longer.
    2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) beyond 830 000 km

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dungbeetle View Post
    For chargers without such a button/mode:

Connect the charger to a "full" battery and switch on
    Then connect the "dead" battery in parallel to the battery above, after some minutes, remove the "full" battery without breaking the circuit between the charger and the the "dead"" one
    If it does not work, do it from scratch but leave the "full" battery connected a bit longer.
    I have been able to revive atleast three batteries by using this method. Yes quite efective indeed.

I have had several Bentons with great results, now two same issue:

BX2 about 6y old on a boat with good batteries that are parallel connected with marine switch. Used to be fine leaving charger on boat for months. Same age same make etc. December the Benton was dead, as in no lights at all whether on battery or not. The batteries were still good enough to start twin inboard, so Benton must have died shortly before we got to boat.

BX even older on a car that only gets used few times a year. Same thing worked fine for years then now just dead no lights. Same thing, battery fine, charger completely dead.

No way to “revive” a Benton? Could not find a reset of any kind.

Johan, possible AC surge damage caused by load-shedding? You're welcome to send it to us and I'll forward to the agents (or I'll refer you to the local distributors in JHB) who should be able to repair it at minimal cost.

PM me if you wish to proceed.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

I'll be collecting my BX-1 from repair at SJ Andrews on Friday. The switch was replaced for the princely sum of R150.00 and it's as good as new again. Before it stopped working it had given good service for about 7 years rotating between the race and road cars. Now it will be built into the caravan for charging the battery between trips.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Good to hear, Paul! Should be good for a good few years still

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

Good to hear, Paul! Should be good for a good few years still

-F_D
    Thanks for your input and contacts Eric. It really helps having a person to contact instead of just arriving out of the blue.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Can you recommend anybody in Pretoria that do repairs on these Benton Chargers?

Real 4x4's don't have
    curved windscreens!!
    Jeep TJ 4l Sahara 33'
    Suzuki SJ 80 "Jeepie"
    + 2 classic roadsters
    some dangerous toys

Pablo, I have sent you a PM.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

All operational again. Old faithful lives to charge forth for the foreseeable future. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190426_144343.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	526748
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Interesting! The old BX-1 (non-AC revert) was very reliable and very seldom presented any problems. This is the lowest-priced in the Benton range and the only downside is the fact that one has to restart it manually after an AC mains failure, unlike the BX-1 & the BX-1 Pro versions.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Family_Dog For This Useful Post:

Interesting! The old BX-1 (non-AC revert) was very reliable and very seldom presented any problems. This is the lowest-priced in the Benton range and the only downside is the fact that one has to restart it manually after an AC mains failure, unlike the BX-1 & the BX-1 Pro versions.

-F_D
    Do you perhaps have access to the user manual for this charger Eric? I want to confirm that the mode with the snowflake is when it is maintaining a fully charged battery.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Do you perhaps have access to the user manual for this charger Eric? I want to confirm that the mode with the snowflake is when it is maintaining a fully charged battery.
    Paul, here we go - it is designed primarily for charging AGM batteries at 14.7v in cold weather. It is described on page 4 of the attached manual.

-F_D
    Attached Images Attached Images
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Paul, here we go - it is designed primarily for charging AGM batteries at 14.7v in cold weather. It is described on page 4 of the attached manual.

-F_D
    Thanks Eric. You alway here to rescue and assist us.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi

Hi FD

PM sent with my email address requesting price list.

Regards
    NL

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast