Weskus Eco Route

Default Weskus Eco Route

Good day everyone. I was wondering if anybody could assist me? I would like to do the West Coast Eco Route up to Hondeklipbaai. Has anybody towed a trailer or offroad caravan on this route? I have a Sprite Tourer SP which is a gravel caravan and I would not like to damage it. I would appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks!

I have done a lot of reading for our up coming trip that includes the eco trail. I will not attempt the route with a Sprite Tourer. The route is hardly a gravel road. It's more like constant deep sand and twee spoor.

However, we have not done the route, so I hope that the ones with more knowledge will answer soon.

PS - I also don't know the Tourer that well. It might be stronger that what I was thinking.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

I have done parts of the route over years, some towing with an Xplorer.

I will not be taking the Sprite Tourer as the wheel track is wider than a normal off-road trailer or dedicated caravan like the Xplorer. The tracks often are deepish sand and with the wider track of the Tourer, similar to a normal caravan, it will run outside the normal tweespoor and will damage the trail plus lead to you getting stuck plus maybe damage the van as well. You will however be able to explore a lot of the back roads of the area and still be able to get to a lot of the beautiful parts of that area. If the wheeltrack was similar to a normal vehicle I would say it is doable to tow but not with the wider track.

I would still visit it if I was you but just adjust the route slightly to stay on the gravel roads mostly and not the actual trail where it is just a sandy tweespoor. Remember the Tourer is made as a "Gravel-Roader" so use it for its intended use and you will not be disappointed. It is one of my favorite parts of our country.

CATS
    2015 VW Transporter T5.1 132kw 4motion DSG - (Shrek) My Bush-Bus
    2003 Safari Xplorer
    Previous : 1996 Colt Rodeo 3000 V6 (The Original! - SOLD) : 1998 Colt Rodeo 2.8Tdi (My first Diesel - SOLD) : 2008 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Sylvester - SOLD) : 2001 LR Defender 90 (Grizzly - Sadly SOLD) : 2010 LR Discovery 4 HSE (Snow White - SOLD) : 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD GLS (Snoopy - SOLD but never forgotten) :2009 Pajero 3.2 DiDc GLS (Casper ,Old Faithfull, - SOLD)

Did that as part of a day trip in August. Did not tow anything, but I imagine it could become pretty hairy on the sandy spots. If you do attempt it, maybe do it in convoy of have MaxTrax or something similar with you, and a lot of patience. It's going to be way worse in the heat when that sand gets hot. I'm by far not a 4x4 pro, but would not recommend it alone...
    2013 Chevrolet Trailblazer 2.8 LTZ 4x4 MT

Photography : https://500px.com/c0rn3llman5

My girlfriend asked me to whisper 4 special words into her ear... so I said : "Ons gaan NOU braai!"

As previously said. There are routes off the gravel that takes you to specific places on the coast like ship wrecks etc. These are in some cases very sandy and could cause you some problems. You do have the option to stay on the gravel and you will still see most of what is on offer.
    Land Rover Discovery 3, 2008 TDV6 2.7lt. New engine and turbo 2013. Prev. Fortuner, Navara 4lt 4x4, Toyota Hilux, Colt, Ssangyong Musso.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeVJN View Post
    Good day everyone. I was wondering if anybody could assist me? I would like to do the West Coast Eco Route up to Hondeklipbaai. Has anybody towed a trailer or offroad caravan on this route? I have a Sprite Tourer SP which is a gravel caravan and I would not like to damage it. I would appreciate any feedback and advice. Thanks!
    Factors to consider is: track width of the Sprite Tourer, does it match the towing vehicle or does it run inside /outside tracks of towing vehicle?
    It is not a gravel road but sand road requiring at least 4H (4x4 in normal/ high range)
    From Lutzville is normal gravel up to Schaapkraal where the sand starts right up to Groenriviermond. This stretch can be done in normal 4H.
    Enter the Namaqua National Park at Groenriviermond for the remainder of the trip to Hondeklip baai via Spoegrivier (visit the Spoegrivier grotte).
    On this stretch there is a portion of about 5km where 4x4 Low Range is required (actually signposted 4x4 LR only)

We did it with two vehicles, Fortuner D4D and Triton D/C, both towing offroad trailers with RTT.
    Needless to say tyre pressure of 1.2bar (I got stuck in 5km LR portion with 1.4bar pressure and had to go down to 1.2bar) on towing vehicle as well as trailer is required.

There is a post on the forum of the trip done with a Suzuki Jimny by Lucky Striker with an excellent trip report (photo's included)

Thread is Coastal route - Strandfontein to Hondeklipbaai via Koekenaap in the Northern Cape section if I recall right.
    Last edited by Herman Kern; 2014/09/08 at 12:24 PM.

Doable with either an off road trailer or off road caravan but I would stay away from the section between Spoegrivier and the exit towards Hondeklip Bay, with a Tourer SP.

Unless you want to spend a day or 2 camping in the tracks until help arrive!!

Blackie.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Thanks everyone for the good advice. I do not think I will take the caravan! It is quite wide and not a true offroad caravan. We will be three vehichles and they will not be towing so I would not like to be left behind or take a digferent route. Now to find a lekker tent!!!

I would love to do this route but I believe one has to have a guide and if so how do I arrange one?
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    I would love to do this route but I believe one has to have a guide and if so how do I arrange one?
    No guide required. See my previous post above where I mentioned the excellent trip report by Lucky Striker with excellent photo's of this route.

There are no guides, permits etc required up to Hondeklip Bay. You just drive it but will have to pay your normal day visitors fee (conservation fee) at the Sanparks office just north of Groenrivier.

Blackie.
    2007 Colt Rodeo 3000I V6 D/C 4x4
    Dual battery system
    57 mm freeflow system
    General Grabber AT3's
    Challenger Bundu Basher Off-road trailer aka Bos Parra

Thanks gents.
    Its on my bucket list for this summer.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

If you want to camp please book, or you might find yourself on someone's spot especially if your coming in from the North where the guard is not always present.

Subscribed

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Worked along that coastline years ago, and the only serious part if you are travelling alone, always was the short dune crossing north of the Bitter River, where the road on calcrete sometimes become covered by small dunes. Roads between Koekenaap and Skaapvlei, along coast up to Namakwa Sands mine at Brandsebaai can be done with a 4x2, even a 1980's car ... north of this towards the Groen River also not too serious, last part between Bitter River and Spoeg Rivers has the most sand.

No experience of trailers/caravans though - my transport was a 1986 Nissan Safari LDV or a 1996 2.8 LWB 4x4 Hilux. I have seen trailers on the route once or twice, but then with powerful tow-vehicles like LC's and Patrols. Never seen a dirt-road only caravan there.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Default Re: Weskus Eco Route

HI There

Has anyone done this trail lately? I am planning on doing it in October, any tips or advise?

Thank you!