To Ranger or not?





Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 238
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default To Ranger or not?

    I was thinking of downgrading to a 3.2 auto ranger next year, so I've been closely following threads in the Ford section, and must admit that I've lost my appetite a bit...

    I was thinking of ways to get Ford to substantiate their power claims before I sign for the vehicle, and I know their power claims is on the flywheel, but they must be able to prove it somehow?

    That way I also have grounds for warranty claims if it looses power down the line.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    George
    Age
    53
    Posts
    1,469
    Thanked: 100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    I was thinking of downgrading to a 3.2 auto ranger next year, so I've been closely following threads in the Ford section, and must admit that I've lost my appetite a bit...

    I was thinking of ways to get Ford to substantiate their power claims before I sign for the vehicle, and I know their power claims is on the flywheel, but they must be able to prove it somehow?

    That way I also have grounds for warranty claims if it looses power down the line.
    It may not be a downgrading...
    ...and don't believe all the bashing you read here...
    2017 Ranger 2.2 XL D/Cab
    2018 Polo Vivo (Mom's taxi)
    2014 BMW F800GSA
    1968 Ford 20M 2500S coupe

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,937
    Thanked: 2430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ha-Ka View Post
    It may not be a downgrading...
    ...and don't believe all the bashing you read here...
    Just had a chat with a friend yesterday, he bought one of the very first 3.2`s. Well it clocked almost 200 000km without a hick.

    Do your own research on the 3.2 engine. I been used in the European markets for quite a few years. Yes there were a problem with the pipe bursting on some 3.2 engines. Then there is the power thing.

    The other day a youngster were telling his buddies how bad the 3.2 is every second one had a blown engine. So I chipped in and ask him whose 3.2`s he was referring to. He could only mention one name and then said yes but that is what he heard. Soon the conversation went in an other direction.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Ok, so if I read your replies correctly, I should consider all the complaints on this forum as hogwash and ignore it, and do my research elsewhere?
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    On your screen
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,459
    Thanked: 150

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    Ok, so if I read your replies correctly, I should consider all the complaints on this forum as hogwash and ignore it, and do my research elsewhere?
    which ever floats your boat, don't think Christo meant it that way.
    [B]Johan Prinsloo

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JP View Post
    which ever floats your boat, don't think Christo meant it that way.
    Ok, so what is on the flipside of your thoughts, what do you think he meant?
    I think my first post gives a clear indication of what floats my boat, as you've put it.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Welkom
    Age
    38
    Posts
    717
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Not everything you read is true, Do research in more areas than just a forum.

    Yes, there were problems and like any brand the facelifts normally comes out with "fixed" bugs from the previous shape.
    Eldon

    2002 Ford Ranger 2.5 D/C Montana



    Throw me to the wolves and I will return leading the pack.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avasdra View Post
    Not everything you read is true, Do research in more areas than just a forum.

    Yes, there were problems and like any brand the facelifts normally comes out with "fixed" bugs from the previous shape.
    Hi Avasdra, I'm not sure what to make of your post, first you say that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the forum, and then you go on to say yes, there were problems.

    Should I believe you or not?
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Noordheuwel
    Age
    28
    Posts
    764
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    There is a lot of people complaining about the Rangers but I am not one of them, love my bakkie to bits, I have only had one issue and that was with a piece of plastic rubbing on the windscreeen, it pulls like a dream, is light on fuel and extremely comfortable. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but who knows?

    A friend of mine works for a generator company and the bakkie is fitted with a 500 Litre bowser at the back and then the pumps and tools needed for the job, the Ranger he drives with is sitting at 200 000 Km's and not a single hiccup and believe me that bakkie works.

    Most of the problems seem to be on the 3.2 Auto so if you are unsure just buy the manual.

    I am exited to go to work every day because I know I will be sitting in my Ranger.
    If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

    2.5 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab - Ex

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,862
    Thanked: 723

    Default

    IMO post your questions/concerns in the pub section, some members comments may be construed as anti Ford/ brand bashing.
    FJC - Just Cruising

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mielieman View Post
    There is a lot of people complaining about the Rangers but I am not one of them, love my bakkie to bits, I have only had one issue and that was with a piece of plastic rubbing on the windscreeen, it pulls like a dream, is light on fuel and extremely comfortable. Maybe I am one of the lucky ones but who knows?

    A friend of mine works for a generator company and the bakkie is fitted with a 500 Litre bowser at the back and then the pumps and tools needed for the job, the Ranger he drives with is sitting at 200 000 Km's and not a single hiccup and believe me that bakkie works.

    Most of the problems seem to be on the 3.2 Auto so if you are unsure just buy the manual.

    I am exited to go to work every day because I know I will be sitting in my Ranger.
    Hi Mielieman,

    I am very happy for you, and I hope that one day I can say the same should I decide to buy a Ranger. The purpose of this thread is to explore ways to ensure that Iím as happy, and stay as happy as you are with yours.

    It has to be an auto though.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Potchefstroom
    Age
    61
    Posts
    240
    Thanked: 26

    Default

    There might just be some reason why these Rangers are so popular...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    IMO post your questions/concerns in the pub section, some members comments may be construed as anti Ford/ brand bashing.
    Thanks for the advice DTS, but I will keep it here, because I am confident that I am capable of defending myself against such libellous claims.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Plettenberg Bay
    Age
    32
    Posts
    403
    Thanked: 30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    Hi Avasdra, I'm not sure what to make of your post, first you say that I shouldn't believe everything I read on the forum, and then you go on to say yes, there were problems.

    Should I believe you or not?

    Koos,

    What exactly are you fishing for here? You've come onto an open forum to get guys opinions about a bakkie... The guys who love the ranger will tell you to go buy one, and the guys who are against it will tell you to spend your money elsewhere.
    I love my 3.2 auto ranger to bits, so I say go for it!

    Will that make the decision any more informative and easier to make? I don't know.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    40
    Posts
    6,789
    Thanked: 348

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    It has to be an auto though.
    Perhaps you should consider the Amarok then as well!
    2011 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4
    2008 Lexus IS250 V6
    Jaco



  16. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerie View Post
    There might just be some reason why these Rangers are so popular...
    I like it so much that Iím seriously considering buying one, Iím just exploring ways to ensure that I get the 147KW and 470NM torque that Iím paying for!
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JacoE View Post
    Perhaps you should consider the Amarok then as well!
    Yes, I like the Amarok very much, but the auto comes with a centre diff without a locking option as I understand, so unfortunately thatís not an option for me.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  18. #18
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Kaapstad
    Age
    48
    Posts
    847
    Thanked: 5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frostbite View Post
    Koos,

    What exactly are you fishing for here? You've come onto an open forum to get guys opinions about a bakkie... The guys who love the ranger will tell you to go buy one, and the guys who are against it will tell you to spend your money elsewhere.
    I love my 3.2 auto ranger to bits, so I say go for it!

    Will that make the decision any more informative and easier to make? I don't know.
    Hi Frostbite,

    I thought my opening post was clear on what Iím exploring with this thread, but I donít mind providing more clarity.

    Iím not asking for anyoneís opinions about a bakkie, Iíve already made up my mind. What I am exploring however, is how to ensure that I get what I pay for, the full 147KW and 470NM torque!

    I want to make sure that Iím as satisfied with my purchase, as you are with yours.
    2012 JKU Ribicon [2.5" Procomp coils - Fox Shocks - Maniac front/rear bumpers with wheel carrier + 65L reserve fuel - Frontrunner roofrack - 285/70 17" BFG MT KMII]

    A man who has been the indisputable favorite of his mother keeps for life the feeling of a conqueror.

    Sigmund Freud

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    42
    Posts
    899
    Thanked: 70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koos View Post
    What I am exploring however, is how to ensure that I get what I pay for, the full 147KW and 470NM torque!
    Put it on a dyno before signing...

    On a more serious note; if you live at the coast you will get the full 147KW and 470NM's of torque. For some odd reason they have only limited the boost on the turbo for the guys here that are above sea level.
    2019 Ford Everest 3.2 4x4 Limited
    2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 8) (Ex)
    2012 Ford Ranger 3.2 XLT M/T D/C 4x4 (Ex)

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Noordheuwel
    Age
    28
    Posts
    764
    Thanked: 2

    Default

    I personally do not think that any manufacturer will sign a form that you will get exactly the power output that has been advertised, you are welcome to try but I do not think you would get anywhere. The best advise I can give you is to wait before you start with any modifications and determine if your power output is what it should be otherwise they will just blame it on the mods.
    If guns are outlawed only outlaws will have guns.

    2.5 Nissan Pathfinder
    Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab - Ex

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ranger T6 rear diff lock problems
    By Monkey-D in forum Ford & Mazda
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 2015/01/19, 08:26 PM
  2. Ultimate T6 vs Amarok Real Life
    By Bergh in forum Volkswagen
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 2014/08/17, 12:08 PM
  3. Ultimate T6 vs Amarok Real Life
    By Bergh in forum Ford & Mazda
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 2014/08/01, 06:48 PM
  4. Rigging my Ranger 3.2TDCI 4x4 D/C M/T
    By Monkey-D in forum Ford & Mazda
    Replies: 135
    Last Post: 2014/02/25, 07:36 PM
  5. NEW Ranger Aerodynamcs
    By Bogaards in forum Ford & Mazda
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2011/03/18, 05:13 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •