Great consumption for a Prado120 KZ

Default Great consumption for a Prado120 KZ

So we went on a road trip down to Vryheid (from Centurion) over the weekend past. Drove down on Wednesday. Then around 300km there and back up again on Sunday.

Filled to the brim on Wednesday. Went home, packed and reset the average consumption meter on the dash. 420 odd km later we reached our destination with the gauge sitting at 8.6l/100km It went as low as 8.4 at Newcastle due to the downhill parts. Anyways. not one to believe one side of a trip I dropped the pressure to 1.8bar for the stay there as the roads were going to be part gravel. 300km later the gauge went up to around 9.2l/100km, leaving me to think the drive around there was around 10l/100km. Came back on Sunday, I upped the pressure again to 2.5bar, and went round the N4 way as the roads around Standerton is a nightmare. Stopped at home and the gauge was down to 9.1l/100km. to put into context. The 90l light came on at 1122km. The best I ever got on the open road was around 900km. Seems 2000km from a tank is possible. Never would have given it a second thought...

btw: speed around 110km/h. This dropped lower in areas with roadworks.
    JT

I may not swear on the forum, but @&$^%#+*^% that is excellent!!! I get around 15 when towing...
    * '03 Prado 120 3.0 diesel
    Iron Man suspension
    Snorkel, DIY fitted
    LED light bar
    ARB bumper (almost black...)
    Custom 63mm exhaust
    Charging thing for...
    * '11 Oryx campervaantjie
    C-Tec DC-DC charger

I have towed a metalian trailer fully loaded with full car (7 people - two adults and 5 kids) and got around 12/100km. That was not changing my driving style much. If you tow a van then I recon mine may go up to 13/14. So 15 may not be out of the park. Depending how low you can get it when not towing of course.

The big changes to date, imho.

1. clean your intercooler
    2. put a 3inch freeflow pipe in
    3. start drving on 500ppm + some 2so if you are a believer...
    4. remove the seperator in the intake.

next steps for me
    1. move the cooler to the front (get a new one). Need to mod the bumper a bit. Not sure I have the brass for this job
    2. better air intake. For starters make it like the v6.
    3. change down pipe to 3inch as well.
    4. then a chip to make use of the available spec...

Conservatively I think a 20-30% increase in torque and power should be possible. Remember our KZ's came out with 96kw 340nm on tap. The European spec ones had 108kw I believe and they were still safely chipped on top of that. I cant imagine that 120kw and 400-420nm will not be safely achievable. I think mine does an easy 105kw without more fuel/boost atm by just a reduction in back and intake pressure. It easily revs over 3k rpm now. Does not seem to mind it either which it certainly did with the stock pipe. Dont think torque figures would have been affected though as I feel I would need more fuel and boost for that the realise.

From all this I would definitely suggest everyone with a KZ, bakkie of prado, clean their cooler. It is free. Put a 3inch pipe in. It is relatively cheap. Yes she is a bit louder but she also sounds more "ballzy" (to try and quantify). Runs cooler, especially on full tilt up a hill. Pulls better and revs a whole lot more freely.
    Last edited by JTK_CPT; 2014/09/03 at 08:39 AM.
    JT

Default Seperator

Hey JT,

What is this separator in the in take you refer to?

there is a heavy particle separator in the airbox. It looks like a little propeller where the air comes in. Take the airbox out and cut it out. Then use sandpaper or dremel to smooth. Increases the airflow into the airbox by what I would imagine 50%, and is of no use when you have a snorkel. And not much normally anyways...
    JT

awesome consumption hopefully i get that soon

back to the usual ~12 around town... I think it only really starts getting down to the nitty gritty when you are on the open road and all the dif oils etc have warmed up to temperature...
    JT

OK. tank filled. About 33% of the KM driven back at home. Rest was on trip. 1655 KM 169.5l

Gauge showed 9.7 with the official worked out to 10.2l/100km
    JT