Erindi, another look

Default Erindi, another look

Everybody was very exited about Erindi finally catering not only for the well healed. They created Camp Elephant where you can camp with absolute the best facilities available in Namibia. When you get to your campsite on a day, everything is spotlessly clean and even an item like the braai grid is in perfect condition and CLEANED from the previous camper's use the day before! Fantastic. You immediately forget the somewhat expensive rate. This is the perfect place to visit with your friends to camp en enjoy, but there is a downside. If you visit Camp Elephant to camp and do a self-drive tour through the northern part of Erindi to look for game, you will find that you do not find much of the game advertised on their website, because they developed the southern side of Erindi for the Old Trapper's Lodge exclusively and is not accessible to the self-drive tourist. Wonderfull for the lodge visitor, but the campers will feel a bit cheated........

Has anyone done the self-drives at Erindi? Any feedback on the game count in the North? Any big cats / wild dogs to see in the northern section?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

I did a drive there end last year, did not see much other then those staying close to camp Elephant.

If you do a game drive with the camp wardens you will see those animals, they go off road and find them.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Been there twice this year, both times staying at camp elephant. Saw lots of game both times. Basically everything except the big cats. Heard them at night, close to camp.

The waterhole is a good spot to sit away the hours with a coolbox. The 4x4 trial offers nice scenery, but is just a normal dirt road. One or 2 places where the going is easier in 4by, but nothing hecktic.

They have a good store at the camp, with decent prices as well. My only gripe is that it is too civilized to my liking. ( thecampsite, that is)

The cats at Erindi is not as 'tame' as the ones is the kruger. Most lions was relocated from Etosha where they were problem animals and Erindi gave them a chance , some of you might have seen the documentary "Into the pride".
    We were there end of 2014, saw many skeletons of dead animals near the dam, , but we didnt see any cats, heard them every night near the camp. It rained most nights and the follow day fresh lion tracks were visible. One morning 2 males was relaxing next to the omaruru gate blocking people from entering or leaving, we missed out with +-30 mins. We also took a guided game drive and saw the pack of wild dogs, amazing site. In future i will make more use of the guided drives, they can find the cats using telemetry equipment. Some of the elephant bulls is very aggressive and they use estrogen injections to keep them calm. It is a amazing place just like the whole of NAM itself!!
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

Whether Camp Elephant should be classified as 'camping' or 'glamping' is open to debate Personally I prefer a bit less civilization and no neighbours, but occasionally a bit of luxury camping is nice.

We've done the self-drive. It's a nice outing, but we only saw antelope. We've done the guided game drives as well and like Hardekool says, the cats are collared and the game drive vehicles are in communication with each other, so you are almost guaranteed to see them.

2014 Amarok DC 4Motion Auto
    Conqueror Conquest

Wild life in northern Erindi extremely disappointing. Spent three days driving all over the park, morning and evenings, self drive and with guides, and saw very little. Only big animals in three days was one hippo, one elephant and a few crocs at the Camp Elephant waterhole, and some giraffes on the last day.

Not recommended at all.
    Discovery 2 V8 XS
    Range Rover Sport SDV8

Been there for a weekend and saw everything except wild dogs , was def the money worth !

Quote Originally Posted by Bartho View Post
    Been there for a weekend and saw everything except wild dogs , was def the money worth !
    By means of self drive or game vehicle?
    -

Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Auto
    (Tough Dog Suspension / Frontrunner Roofrack and some more goodies...)

self drive and just relaxing at campsite

Those Lions around the camp... I am very suspicious as every night you hear them. And everyone that goes there seems to hear them... There is a game fence you can just spot through the bush, I wonder if they have a lion camp near elephant camp.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Those Lions around the camp... I am very suspicious as every night you hear them. And everyone that goes there seems to hear them... There is a game fence you can just spot through the bush, I wonder if they have a lion camp near elephant camp.
    Yes, that was my thinking also. The map shows the location of a fenced camp in the direction of the lions roar's at night......still nice to hear this when one are sitting around the fire or sleeping in tent.

Perhaps some of you know this, but Erindi have more than 100 elephants! We were puzzled about all the 'broken' trees in the nothern section and there were many! You dont see this type of damage in kruger. According to one ranger this is the work of the elephants, well obviously! But some of the trees was broken just a few centimeters of the ground, i have never seen this before. In kruger they push the trees over, but here the elephants do it differently??
    The elephants were relocated from Kaudum and it seems some of the bulls dont like the new environment.

Last edited by Hardekool; 2015/09/17 at 09:32 AM.
    2007 Fortuner 3 D4D, 4x4
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2

The herds are very aggressive, i think all of them dont like it.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe