Colt Power Loss

Thread: Colt Power Loss

Unhappy Colt Power Loss

The story begins this morning. Whilst starting the Colt cold, it took 1 more swing than usual to catch and fire up followed by a cloud of white smoke. I know its not allot but these things bother me. Heres a video I made. N.B this is the first start in the morning. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w20RKKcZRA

Upon driving to work all seemed fine. Cruising at 80KM/h nothing felt wrong or different. I stopped and let the car sit for a few hours to go about my routine, coming back later I had a moment and decided to check oil and water, both seemed fine too and the oil looked fantastic.

Once the day was over I started the Colt and it fired up with 1 Swing. I was driving back home and realised allot of the low end power which I usually have in abundance was suddenly not there anymore. It revvs up normally to about 1500rpm and then it revvs higher but the speed stays steady (I usually Revv to 2K RPM before shifting), theres no power above 1500rpm.

I also felt a weird clash and heavy steering wheel rattle when I drove over a speed bump. After the speed bump it went away again though. (Not sure if this has anything to do with the problem.)

Getting home I popped the hood to take a look and revved her up to 2000RPM and theres a very strange whistling noise coming from the engine bay which was never there before.. I cant identify exactly where its coming from.

My worst fear is obviously the notorious cracked head...Car has 187 000 trouble free km on the clock though...

Now, Im aware diagnosing your car with something according to symptoms is like diagnosing yourself online, you either end up diagnosing yourself with Aids or Ebola, so any advice from you guys is much appreciated.
    If power isn't helping, you're not using enough power.

What model Colt is this? On a turbo diesel it might be something small like a boost pipe that came loose or burst. The whistle will be the turbo spooling but blowing all the boost out. This will also make your vehicle smoke excessively because the diesel cannot burn efficient without the extra oxygen that the boost creates.

I would also suggest that you drive the vehicle to past 3000rpm at times. Driving it that slow doesn't allow the turbo to spool up properly and that will get your exhaust gas temperature high.

Hope you get it sorted

Quote Originally Posted by MacMcD View Post
    What model Colt is this? On a turbo diesel it might be something small like a boost pipe that came loose or burst. The whistle will be the turbo spooling but blowing all the boost out. This will also make your vehicle smoke excessively because the diesel cannot burn efficient without the extra oxygen that the boost creates.

I would also suggest that you drive the vehicle to past 3000rpm at times. Driving it that slow doesn't allow the turbo to spool up properly and that will get your exhaust gas temperature high.

Hope you get it sorted
    Thank you, yeah it is the 2800tdi. Ill check out the boost pipe, I figured it was something of the sort. Thanks for the input
    If power isn't helping, you're not using enough power.

I had a similar problem. Thread is somewhere on the forum. Turned out to be the turbo. I bought a new one, replaced the old one and bob's your uncle. I must say....... I will NEVER do it myself again.......
    A clean 4x4 is a sign of a sick mind.
    Colt Clubcab 2800 TDI 4x4 - SAC EGT & Boost combo, 180watt lightbar (probably illegal) GET IN, SIT DOWN
    SHUT UP, & HANG ON
    Suzuki GSXR1100 - net vir die teer.... - Sold
    BB - Restored

Previous:
    Toyota 3.0KZ-TE SC (you will be missed)
    Pajero 3.5 V6 (Die dors ene)

Quote Originally Posted by JJjbay View Post
    I had a similar problem. Thread is somewhere on the forum. Turned out to be the turbo. I bought a new one, replaced the old one and bob's your uncle. I must say....... I will NEVER do it myself again.......
    why not

Colt clubcab 2.8tdi 4x4 2005
    Ford Fiesta 1.4i (SWAMBO]
    jurgens off road trailor xt 140
    opel corsa 1.7 dti 2006