SAB going into craft beer - Page 2





Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 69
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    And yes there is a certain capetonian brewery who's beer I've had.... Hand crafted Sies...

    And which would that brewery be?
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunnydale, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Being a lover of good beer, I welcom any variety as long as its palatable.
    And, in my Scottish mind, it must also be AFFORDABLE.
    I'd rather be fishing, camping or brewing beer...


  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    977
    Thanked: 962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    And which would that brewery be?
    I'm not going to name and shame them on a public forum.

    I don't like their drivel, someone else might be a big fan...
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default SAB going into craft beer

    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    I'm not going to name and shame them on a public forum.



    I don't like their drivel, someone else might be a big fan...

    Why not. I shame bad "craft" beer regularly. The fact that most of it comes from Darling is beside the point
    Last edited by SimonB; 2015/01/28 at 05:35 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    42
    Posts
    1,732
    Thanked: 30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Why not. I shame bad "craft" beer regularly. The fact that most of it comes from Darling is beside the point
    At some stage there was a lot of people saying that some of the Darling brews was some of the best they had. I tried all of them and must agree with you Simon. I will not buy a Darling brew again
    Jacques

    2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

    Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,157
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Why not. I shame bad "craft" beer regularly. The fact that most of it comes from Darling is beside the point
    Horrible beers.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    33
    Posts
    977
    Thanked: 962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    At some stage there was a lot of people saying that some of the Darling brews was some of the best they had. I tried all of them and must agree with you Simon. I will not buy a Darling brew again
    Will drink the native ale, but won't go out of my way for it.

    That bone crusher should come with the following label:


    Living room ranked of coriander for hours....
    "Grent" Vitara
    EX- EL JIMBO - RED AND "FAST" 8)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    44
    Posts
    789
    Thanked: 31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    at some stage there was a lot of people saying that some of the darling brews was some of the best they had. I tried all of them and must agree with you simon. I will not buy a darling brew again
    +100

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Durbanville
    Age
    44
    Posts
    789
    Thanked: 31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    I'm no expert but it tasted proper craft like to me. If this is available in all establishments serving only SAB and the usual others (heineken, Windhoek etc) Fransen street would be my first choice.

    I really do hope they do not hurt the micro breweries...

    And yes there is a certain capetonian brewery who's beer I've had.... Hand crafted Sies...
    I am curious , pls pm me the name

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    366
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    I'm just going to have to be the hen's teeth here and say I find Darling brews to be delicious. I enjoy the spicyness of the Bone Crusher.

    I had some SAB specialty draughts at the Cape Town Festival of Beer and kept going back for more. Maybe it was the girl behind the counter because we connected and chatted for ages every time 😏

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,157
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    I'm just going to have to be the hen's teeth here and say I find Darling brews to be delicious. I enjoy the spicyness of the Bone Crusher.

    I had some SAB specialty draughts at the Cape Town Festival of Beer and kept going back for more. Maybe it was the girl behind the counter because we connected and chatted for ages every time 😏
    the SAB Willy Wonka Stout is excellent. They also had a decent spiced ale at last year's Solstice Festival. They do know how to brew when they put their mind to it............

    But I can't agree on the majority of Darling beers.

    Try a Jack Black beer. One of the best brewers in the Cape.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  12. #32
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,246
    Thanked: 124

    Default SAB going into craft beer

    I had some of the Franzen street a while ago on tap at an outlet in Montecasino. I found both the Weiss and the Irish Red to be very gassy, it tasted like artificially carbonated lager.
    Last edited by Kierie; 2015/01/29 at 10:59 AM.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

    Venter custom 4x4 trailer

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    37
    Posts
    366
    Thanked: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    the SAB Willy Wonka Stout is excellent. They also had a decent spiced ale at last year's Solstice Festival. They do know how to brew when they put their mind to it............ But I can't agree on the majority of Darling beers. Try a Jack Black beer. One of the best brewers in the Cape.
    There's not much beer around here I haven't had I enjoy the Lumberjack and Butcher Block. One beer that stood out to me at the festival was Savage Brewing's Un-Lager, very impressed with it!

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,157
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    I had some of the Franzen street a while ago on tap at an outlet in Montecasino. I found both the Weiss and the Irish Red to be very gassy, it tasted like artificially carbonated lager.
    SAB is reknowned for over-carbonating.

    As an experiment: take a Castle Milk Stout, pour it with a decnt head, and let it rest for 10 minutes (in a fridge if it's hot out)

    You'll be amazed at how much smoother it becomes. I was stunned the first time I did that.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,246
    Thanked: 124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    SAB is reknowned for over-carbonating.

    As an experiment: take a Castle Milk Stout, pour it with a decnt head, and let it rest for 10 minutes (in a fridge if it's hot out)

    You'll be amazed at how much smoother it becomes. I was stunned the first time I did that.

    Yep that should work and I do like a decent stout. Castle Milk Stout is actually much nicer than most people realize and makes for a great dessert beer. Try one with a pucker hand made Creme Brulee or any of the typical, creamy toffee or caramel puddings.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6 Auto
    Ironman Suspension kit
    Suzuki Snorkel
    WECA off road bumper
    Frontrunner roof rack

    Venter custom 4x4 trailer

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,157
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    Yep that should work and I do like a decent stout. Castle Milk Stout is actually much nicer than most people realize and makes for a great dessert beer. Try one with a pucker hand made Creme Brulee or any of the typical, creamy toffee or caramel puddings.
    We're doing a stout food pairing at Friday's Worthogs meeting.

    Choc stout cupcakes, dark spicy fruit cake, and Lindt Chilli Chocolate.
    To be tasted with a Cocao Psycho Imperial, a Chameleon Oatmeal, and I think an English Dry.

    We found just about no cheese apart from some cream cheeses would work with a stout.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunnydale, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kierie View Post
    Castle Milk Stout is actually much nicer than most people realize and makes for a great dessert beer. Try one with a pucker hand made Creme Brulee or any of the typical, creamy toffee or caramel puddings.
    I developed a great respect for Castle Stout at an advanced brewing course I attended last year, held on SAB premises.

    As a result of that, when I had a pairing evening at home a while after the course I served Castle Stout with the Caramel and Dark Chocolate Fondant dessert from Lucy Corne's book African Brew.........yummmm...
    I'd rather be fishing, camping or brewing beer...


  18. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    57
    Posts
    35,157
    Thanked: 10252

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StevenD View Post
    I developed a great respect for Castle Stout at an advanced brewing course I attended last year, held on SAB premises.

    As a result of that, when I had a pairing evening at home a while after the course I served Castle Stout with the Caramel and Dark Chocolate Fondant dessert from Lucy Corne's book African Brew.........yummmm...
    I hope you don't think Lucy is yummmmmmmm
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Sunnydale, Cape Town
    Age
    57
    Posts
    476
    Thanked: 0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I hope you don't think Lucy is yummmmmmmm
    Ummmm.....
    I'd rather be fishing, camping or brewing beer...


  20. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    48
    Posts
    11,505
    Thanked: 266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    There's not much beer around here I haven't had I enjoy the Lumberjack and Butcher Block. One beer that stood out to me at the festival was Savage Brewing's Un-Lager, very impressed with it!
    Yup, David is developing into a damn fine brewer (if he isnt one already) Remember he used to be Bad Dog Brewery.

    Pop into the bierfest at Parklands Junction Saturday morning - they will be there.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How many craft beer enthusiasts go to Oppikoppi?
    By jelo in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2014/07/14, 12:49 PM
  2. Are there too many craft beer festivals?
    By Lekker Laf in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2013/10/21, 05:32 PM
  3. A beer away keeps the doctor a day (hic!)
    By Frans Reichert in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 2013/01/02, 09:48 PM
  4. They call it " a Craft beer revolution!!"
    By Frans Reichert in forum Home Brewing
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2012/10/21, 04:55 PM
  5. Beer!!!!
    By Apocalypse in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 2012/02/26, 08:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •