Carrevalle 2.3 motor in Old Kombi?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Carrevalle 2.3 motor in Old Kombi?

Does any one know if you can fit a newer model carrevalle 2,3 or 2,6 motor into the old Split Window / Round nose shape ?

That 5cylinder motor is very long and very heavy. The original engine was only 2 pistons long.

I also doubt the bellhousing bolt pattern will match.

It will go like a rocket tho!
    -----------------------------
    Isuzu Frontier 280LX 4x4 2001

Quote Originally Posted by RogueFrontier View Post
    That 5cylinder motor is very long and very heavy. The original engine was only 2 pistons long.

I also doubt the bellhousing bolt pattern will match.

It will go like a rocket tho!

I see , Hence reason I ask , I want to build myself a kombi as a holiday car , but I don't want a 1600 that is dam slow and drive that to CT and Also tow a trailer

I know they fit the old Porsche motors in , not sure with how much mission and modifying

I will use the carrevalle Gearbox as well so that will sort the belhousing story out

This v6 fits

http://bb.bbboy.net/vwengineconversi...um=8&thread=69

So does this V8

http://encombi.blogspot.com/2009/05/...-la-kombi.html
    Last edited by Charlie1800; 2014/08/27 at 11:50 AM.

Why not fit the 8 valve Gti motor? It is a widely used conversion and works well. I had one in a T3 Syncro and it was great.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Put a Golf 2.0l motor in with the MP9 fuel injection. You wont be sorry. Everything is standard VW. Mount the radiator flat under the chassis with a scoop and box it to direct the airflow and protect it. Have seen a few done like that.

I have the Golf engine in my doublecab Syncro and it's bulletproof and reliable. They rev to almost 7000 rpm and will cruise the whole day at 5500rpm without problems.
    A Bay window kombi with a Golf conversion goes like a rocket. Friend of mine reckons he has done 130km/h in 3rd with his.

You can get the adaptor kit from Gilo engineering in Jhb. Contact Pierre at Vdubtech (www.vdubtech.co.za 0118222799)in Germiston or Stuart at Syncro Hospital (0836299951) in Pta if you want someone to do the conversion for you.

Quote Originally Posted by VWSyncro View Post
    Put a Golf 2.0l motor in with the MP9 fuel injection. You wont be sorry. Everything is standard VW. Mount the radiator flat under the chassis with a scoop and box it to direct the airflow and protect it. Have seen a few done like that.

I have the Golf engine in my doublecab Syncro and it's bulletproof and reliable. They rev to almost 7000 rpm and will cruise the whole day at 5500rpm without problems.
    A Bay window kombi with a Golf conversion goes like a rocket. Friend of mine reckons he has done 130km/h in 3rd with his.

You can get the adaptor kit from Gilo engineering in Jhb. Contact Pierre at Vdubtech (www.vdubtech.co.za 0118222799)in Germiston or Stuart at Syncro Hospital (0836299951) in Pta if you want someone to do the conversion for you.

This sounds great I will for sure look into that , I still have to buy the kombi have my eye on a few

What sort of fuel consumption do you get on your syncro ?

7.5 to 9.5 km/l depending on driving style.

7.5 to 9.5 km/l depending on driving style.

Ok thanks that is acceptable for a holiday car , I am for sure going to look at this VW GTI option

Just need to find that perfect bus

The Golf 1.8 EFI engine is also available as an import. You need a Spitronics ECU and the Gilo adapter.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

What about the 1.9TDi?
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What about the 1.9TDi?
    You need a strong gearbox!
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What about the 1.9TDi?

I have seen one or two for sale with the 19 TDI motor in
    The transporter has it in and that thing moves

Personally I am not a diesel fan

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1800 View Post
    I have seen one or two for sale with the 19 TDI motor in
    The transporter has it in and that thing moves

Personally I am not a diesel fan
    AFAIK the T3 came with a diesel in overseas markets?

Surely a 1.9 can't stress the gearbox as much as a tweaked 2.6 Audi engine?
    Percivamus

The 1.8 would also be nice in a Bay window as it's much lighter than the Syncro. Personally I would stay away from the aftermarket ECU. It needs to be dyno tuned to get it properly setup. The Bosch MP9 is used on the 1.4 and 1.6 Velocity and is remapped for the 2.0l but everything else is standard. Mine cost me R6.5k for everything, i.e. remapped ECU, harness and throttle body. Need to get a MAP sensor as well. Plug and play and haven't had a day's trouble with it.

The 1.9TDi is nice but much more expensive. I have one in my camping Syncro. R22k just for the motor, another R7k for a mechanical pump otherwise you will need ALL the electronics from the donor car including keys and the gauges as all work together with the immobiliser. I get 8.5-9.5km/l with it but then the bus is fully packed including 2 long range diesel tanks and water tanks full, 2x spares tyres and the rest of the house. It has incredible low end torque and idles when offroading. Busy changing the 3rd and 4th ratios which will hopefully improve the fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie1800 View Post
    Ok thanks that is acceptable for a holiday car , I am for sure going to look at this VW GTI option

Just need to find that perfect bus
    My Bay window might be up for sale soon. Will probably take a decision on that when I'm home again.

Interesting info regarding the MP9.

I should have done that when I put the 1.8 into the CitiGolf. I had the complete EFI system, just need a hi pressure pump and the ECU. Instead I put the carb on and had the injection ports blanked off.
    Percivamus

My Bay window might be up for sale soon. Will probably take a decision on that when I'm home again.

Let me know when you ready I am in no hurry

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    You need a strong gearbox!
    Unless you drive it properly. There are aftermarket stronger gears available.

In the Bay window it should not be such a big problem. I still feel the Golf 2.0l is the best conversion cost/performance wise. Also the spares are available absolutely everywhere. I had an issue with the TDi alternator during our trip to Botswana earlier in the year. Luckily on the way to Ellisras and I was forced to turn back to repair it. In the whole of Pretoria I could only find one place with a replacement alternator whereas the Golf one is readily available and stock levels are normally high.

This is what I have in mind to build
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bully-1.jpg 
Views:	2927 
Size:	112.9 KB 
ID:	304546   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4396.jpg 
Views:	697 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	304547   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_4672.jpg 
Views:	1151 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	304548   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF5529.jpg 
Views:	523 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	304549  

That's very nice. I hope you have a nice budget as well. Since split windows have become so scarce, Bays are very desirable and the prices have skyrocketed. You can still find nice ones for reasonable prices but the days of buying one for less than R10k - R15k are over. Spare are also expensive as you have to import most of it. A nuts and bolts overall will cost around R90k. To give you an idea, I had my spare front suspension overhauled earlier this year and that was R11.5k.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast