Shakila Tented Camp

Question Shakila Tented Camp

Thinking of going to Shakila Tented Camp. Anybody with experiences there?

Hi, i went to Shakila in 2011, we stayed in the one big Tent, cant recall the name though.
    We spent the whole day in the Jacuzzi with a Gazebo over it. I cannot complain on anything to be honest, all though we did see one M** snake close to the tent a couple of hours after getting there, but nothing after that, so Kiddies.... beware. But then again it's bushveld and your in there environment right. BUT i have a friend and his wife that was there last year, they didn't have a great time, in fact they complained and got a free weekend , coming now the 13th Sept. But honestly, i enjoyed my weekend there.No TV no nothing... just us and a couple of beers and the boma/Jacuzzi all in perfect harmony

Quick feedback...

Quiet, awesome views, very little game though. 4x4 trail relatively easy, very rocky though. You will need low range for one steep descent.

Hi,

Just got back from a great 2 days at Shakila (been fortunate to have been there a few times before). Thought to share our latest experience. After we arrived we were warned about petty theft in the area but not to be alarmed as it was on the neighbouring property about 4 weeks ago.

We did notice that they had put a lockable door on the tent we were in since the last time we stayed there. Needless to say we locked valuables with us in the tent at night and did not leave anything obvious in our vehicle. The kitchen area of our unit is open though.

The next morning we noticed that alcohol and cooldrink had been discreetly "removed" from the fridge. Lots of food untouched, lots of "useful" items belonging to the place also untouched. The next night we made it a little more difficult for easy access and locked "everything of ours" in the tent, no issues.

For anyone interested, the place is absolutely stunning. We are however not comfortable with anyone sneaking around our space and stuff and some may even argue that it is to be expected these days. IMHO the owners will need to improve security beyond the regular multi-daily checkups on their guests. Petty crime is one thing but we are concerned about things getting worse in time to come with safety.

Hi again,

...just saw on Gumtree that the farm is for sale....