Suspension Prado 150 VX

Thread: Prado 150 VX

Default Prado 150 VX

Let us jump straight in:

Friend of mine has a 150 4.0L V6 VX Prado, the rear shock absorbers need replacement...Toyota wants a kleinhuisie full of money for a set...

NOW: The current shocks have wires going in, I suspect this is for the "ride adjustment" between Sport / Normal / Comfort

Will fitting OME or something similar adversely affect the electronics or the capability of the front shocks to still adapt to the "ride settings"
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2014 Toyota 3.0D4D Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

Default Prado 150 VX

On australian forum they talk about this a lot and they said that only that function, sport comfort normal, effected by replacing the original shocks with aftermarket ones.
    Last edited by Francois111; 2014/09/01 at 08:06 PM.
    Francois

Here is a typical discussion on Pradopoint, http://www.pradopoint.com/showthread...-Sport-Comfort

Hi there, I haven't had a chance to post this up in any of the sections or my own build up, however I've pretty much done what you're wanting to achieve replacing only the front springs and leaving the front Toyota struts and rear shocks and airbags in place. I did the work with ARB OME springs, but in unfortunately in general ARB won't do this work. It's only due to me knowing the owner of one of the local stores, he agreed to do this.

The reason I did this apart from the lift aspect was to negate the effect of the drop on the front end from the dual battery systems ARB bar, lights, etc.

Here's what we did :
    - Replace Toyota springs up front with ARB/OME springs.
    - Fool rear airbag sensors to raise rear.

All up have gotten at least 50mm lift all round from memory and the system still works as it did before with respect to the ride comfort and the height adjust.

We did have a bit of an issue with KDSS (which everyone does). When ARB replace the struts and springs completely they put a spacer/packer in the drivers side to offset KDSS (Toyota springs are different lengths - see other posts on this). Due to using the Toyota strut, apparently this couldn't be done. To get around this, ARB used 2 different part numbered springs (can look these up later). KDSS lean is pretty good but the passenger rear still sits up from time to time. No biggie when driving.

I did this in June and so far so good. I do want to revisit and have a bit of a look as I get a bit of a bump/clunk noise coming from the passenger rear at times going over sharp little speed bumps. Maybe something to do with the KDSS and the rear lift. Doesn't seem to happen offroad just yet.

Hope this is useful.

Cheers Michael
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

Default Re: Prado 150 VX

Quote Originally Posted by Nutsman View Post
    Let us jump straight in:

Friend of mine has a 150 4.0L V6 VX Prado, the rear shock absorbers need replacement...Toyota wants a kleinhuisie full of money for a set...

NOW: The current shocks have wires going in, I suspect this is for the "ride adjustment" between Sport / Normal / Comfort

Will fitting OME or something similar adversely affect the electronics or the capability of the front shocks to still adapt to the "ride settings"
    4 years later... :-) I am the 2nd owner of a 2010 Prado 150, and I need to replace the rear shocks. Do you know what your friend did at the end of the day? Anybody else with advise? I contacted Mikem suspensions and they told me stealers only. Somewhere else I read that one can use Bilsteins
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw)
    Tough Dog Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Replacement Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper
    Air Helpers | Snorkel | Frontrunner Roofrack

1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw)
    Fibreglass Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | Frontrunner Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Custom Rear Bumper

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4

Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)

Quote Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
    4 years later... :-) I am the 2nd owner of a 2010 Prado 150, and I need to replace the rear shocks. Do you know what your friend did at the end of the day? Anybody else with advise? I contacted Mikem suspensions and they told me stealers only. Somewhere else I read that one can use Bilsteins
    what price were you quoted by the agents?

4 years later maybe they are available at other places

i see someone on bid or buy has the rear one with the wire at R3203.47 each
    Last edited by Naami; 2019/11/19 at 06:35 PM.

2000 Ford Courier DC 2.5TD 4x4
    2009 Fiat 500
    2001 Merc C200K
    2007 Disco 3 TDV6 manual

Quote Originally Posted by AceVentura View Post
    Went for the OE equipment in the end of the day....
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2014 Toyota 3.0D4D Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Naami View Post
    what price were you quoted by the agents?

4 years later maybe they are available at other places

i see someone on bid or buy has the rear one with the wire at R3203.47 each
    can you send me the link?
    When nature calls
    Jacques Steyn

2008 Nissan Patrol 4.8 GRX A/T (199kw)
    Tough Dog Suspension | Outback Extreme Rear Replacement Bumper | Ironman Front Bumper
    Air Helpers | Snorkel | Frontrunner Roofrack

1996 Ssangyong Musso 602EL TD A/T Exec (82kw)
    Fibreglass Snorkel | Bilstein B6 | Disco 2 springs | Frontrunner Roofrack | ARB Front bumper | Custom Rear Bumper

Swambo : 2012 VW Polo 1.4

Ex 1982 Citroen CX Prestige automatic
    Ex 1976 Citroen GS Club
    Ex 2013 Honda CRV Exec Auto AWD
    Ex 2007 Toyota Auris 2.0 D4D
    Ex 2010 Honda Accord 2.4i Exec Manual (148kw)
    Ex 1997 Isuzu KB280LE TD D/C 2x4
    Ex 1997 Toyota Corolla RSI (121kw)
    Ex 1989 Toyota Corolla GLI TwinCam Exec (98kw)