Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Thanked: 0

    Default SA 4x4 in Kenya: Import/Export/Sale Questions!


    Putting out some questions here hoping someone can enlighten me:

    I have a South African registered car which I drove up from Cape Town to Nairobi, Kenya, and now that I'm officially broke I need to sell the car and fly back to Norway. However, navigating the import/export rules and regulations of this continent is a nightmare and I'm stuck:

    Is it possible to obtain a police clearance certificate for this car when I'm not in South Africa? Does anyone know anything about this? I have tried contacting South Africa but it takes forever to get any kind of answer, so hopefully someone here know.

    Since I have a feeling that I'll never be able to get the required documents needed to sell the car here I'm looking into storage and I'm wondering:

    What happens if I leave the car here, come back in six months and try to cross the border with an expired Temporary Import Permit? And how would I go about extending this permit? Anyone have any experience with this?

    Thank you for your time!


    PS. The car for sale:
    A 2008 Nissan Hardbody
    2x4 4x4 4x4L
    2.5 Diesel
    102 000 km
    South African plates
    Jurgens camping unit on the back.
    PM for details

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Glencairn, Cape Town
    Thanked: 5031


    Hi Bjorn, why not advertise it for sale here, on the forum - if it has a valid SA licence, you may find someone who wants to do a trip from Nairobi to SA, and sorting out the paperwork shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Is it on a carnet, or just a TIP?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gordons Bay as a base - travelling Africa
    Thanked: 628


    You should be able to extent your Temporary Import Permit in Dar.

    Otheriws advertise it here, but than you'll need some pictures.
    Thers also a classifieds section here:

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Thanked: 2


    You would have to extend your import permit for Kenya in Kenya, not Dar.

    You can contact some of the overlander places like Karen Camp or Jungle Junction and ask if they can keep renewing your permit for you while you wait to sell. I believe there is a limit to how many times you can do this in Kenya (might be wrong); in Tanzania you can keep rolling it over for about $20 a month.

Similar Threads

  1. KTP/Nam/Namakwa 4x4 trip questions
    By HennieC in forum Northern Cape
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 2013/03/13, 12:05 PM
  2. Test Driving A Triton and Navara
    By CtRaven in forum The 4x4 Pub
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 2013/02/17, 07:21 PM
  3. Replies: 219
    Last Post: 2012/03/12, 08:18 PM
  4. EA Fly - Inn Trip Report
    By Goose 23 in forum East Africa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 2011/11/28, 04:31 PM
  5. 4x4 or Racing car driver
    By AH Lessing in forum General 4x4 Discussion
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 2010/11/12, 10:07 AM


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts