Hannes follows in Manny footsteps with going Fong Kong Faw trucks

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Hannes follows in Manny footsteps with going Fong Kong Faw trucks

So I decided to stop high jacking Manny JMC thread and as there is no FAW section I am posting here.

I know these are trucks and not 4x4 so sorry if you feel it does not belong on this forum.

I know there is invaluable knowledge and experience relating to trucks on this forum and I would like to tap into that knowledge, so that is why I am posting about trucks on a 4x4 forum.

So I want to try and record my journey with these Chinese cheapies here and maybe add some value for other truck owners.

So currently we own an old Nissan 4 ton and 2 new FAW 8 ton trucks.

Today is crunch time with so many deadlines before tomorrow cob. Of the 3 trucks only the old faithful Nissan is going.

This is highly frustrating and there has been some harsh words.

Default Re: Hannes follows in Manny footsteps with going Fong Kong Faw trucks

Maybe Dirk can open a Truck section?
    2004 Defender TD5
    1992 Defender 3.5V8
    PROJECT OVERHAUL http://4x4community.co.za/forum/show...oject+overhaul

So before you totally right off the FAW's allow me some time to explain.

These 8 ton FAW at about R 416 000 including Vat and dropside body is nearly half price of the well known makes.
    Including a 2 year warrantee and a 1 year service plan.

The one truck is not operable due to no fault of it self
    I posted in mannys thread about the accident. It has been 4 weeks since the accident and the process has run fairly smoothly but parts are not quite like Toyota under every tree. Even getting the same tread tyre can be up to 4 weeks.

So when the accident happened it was actually better for our cash flow to buy another new truck than rent another truck.

So our new truck was delivered on 8th of February and it has worked hard from day one. February has been difficult business wise with lots of rain, our biggest contract yet and staff fun.

So this truck was approaching the same kms that the accident one has, 3k, within the first 3 weeks. Suddenly fuel consumption increased from nearly 5km per litre to 3 km per litre. I thought someone was stealing diesel. On Saturday afternoon the truck was smoking big bellows of white smoke covering a whole residential block with smoke. On Sunday morning we got a fine for the smoke and Sunday night the truck ran out of fuel because it was drinking diesel like a forumites drink craft beer.

Monday morning 4h30 I get a call that there is no power, the dash board looks like a Christmas tree and smoke is more than ever.

Needless to say when the Faw staff arrived at work at FAW Randburg we were waiting for them.

I had a rough night worrying that something serious is wrong and that I was going to test the warrantee. An engine replacement can sink a new business. Maybe the driver did something wrong maybe the diesel was contaminated.

I spent the morning hovering over the mechanics shoulder while he explained it is just a timing setting / Diesel pump issue.

So I had to spend R 3500 in renting a truck for just the day and tomorrow will most probably be the same.

So my first 7000 km with FAW has not been fun let's see how the next few days go.

I did understand that it is not a Mercedes when I bought it but I am expecting it to do the basics fairly reliably especially during the 2 years of warranty.
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2017/02/28 at 08:16 AM.

My neighbour only buys faw. He sais, they are cheap enough to literally park it at the scrap dealers after 3 years...

Eina I do hope they last longer than that also obviously depends on milage in those 3 years. But a good truck must last 20 years so 3 years is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Eina I do hope they last longer than that also obviously depends on milage in those 3 years. But a good truck must last 20 years so 3 years is scary.
    He uses his for refuse removal. The trucks run round the clock, and only gets parked for a service, and ti replace damaged body parts.

He only had one out, engine gone as a result of and injector that failed.

I just spoke to him, he sais he recons they good for around 500000 km, and he can't comment on rust... As with his guys, body panels gets replaced faster than it can rust.

Yes we do mostly short distances so about 3000km a month per truck so if we work 11 months that is about 33000 km a year so 500 000 km will last us a good few years thanks Pierre.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

I will follow this thread with interest as I am considering buying the 8 ton FAW myself. (looking at the tipper version.. Just over R500 000)
    I was about to buy the 5 ton until I got into it.. For a 6 foot guy weighing 130 KG, I turned back within kilometer from the dealer.. To cramped inside and I will be an owner driver.
    Apparently there is an Aircon issue with the 2016, 8 ton models and a lot of owners I contacted don't even get 4km/l

A truck section will be a great idea..
    gerief en krag bo brandstofgebruik
    2007 Nissan Navara 4.0 l 4x4 Auto

Yes aware of the air con issue but it is an easy fix.

Now we are standing for day two and the new fuel pump did not solve the issue. We are not slightly frustrated.aa

I spent a good couple of years in the truck maintenance business and can write a book on the "cheap" trucks. There are good reasons why the more established brands cost more, some not always obvious at first glance.

If you want to go cheaper, also look at Powerstar.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

So is it worth buying a second hand "known name"? Most guys in the business that I spoke to say keep away from second hand trucks.. There is a reason they are for sale... But then I know of second hand trucks that is still going strong after 3 years with a new owner?
    Guess you need to know what to look for.. And there I'm clueless

Quote Originally Posted by tocin View Post
    So is it worth buying a second hand "known name"? Most guys in the business that I spoke to say keep away from second hand trucks.. There is a reason they are for sale... But then I know of second hand trucks that is still going strong after 3 years with a new owner?
    For us as a young company the challenge was financing. If you finance older trucks you get nailed, both on deposit % and interest rate.

If you buying cash you can buy a very good second hand truck for the same money or less than the fong kong.

I am still hopeful that the FAW will prove worthwhile.

Ok the truck is running beautifully new diesel pump and all is sorted.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Good news!

Quote Originally Posted by tocin View Post
    Different horses for different courses

Some contracts only allow vehicles up to certain age. Some fuel companies do not allow trucks older than 5 years to operate on their contracts making them obsolete to the owner

There are some good European trucks available on the second hand market. But each to their own. Depending on what you want.

Will be nice to follow this thread as some other new trucks are just too expensive. By buying this model you still have quite a few bucs for bodybuilder and fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Ok the truck is running beautifully new diesel pump and all is sorted.
    Good luck and keep us posted; many of us wonder about the long-term implications of working unknown brands hard.
    2001 Gen 3 Pajero swb 3.2 Di-D

Subscribed to this thread. Thanks Hannes.
    I decided to go the Hino route, but my truck is a 4.5t for the same price as your 8t. In a business where we invoice per kg the FAW was very tempting.
    And FAW is tempting to one of my suppliers who needs to replace an,8t Hino now.
    Our Hino is on 160k km now and only downtime other than for services was for an exhaust manifold gasket, a fan belt that needed tensioning.
    It has never been down for more than a day and when in peak time the services was done at night.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PhlippieV For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PhlippieV View Post
    Subscribed to this thread. Thanks Hannes.
    I decided to go the Hino route, but my truck is a 4.5t for the same price as your 8t. In a business where we invoice per kg the FAW was very tempting.
    And FAW is tempting to one of my suppliers who needs to replace an,8t Hino now.
    Our Hino is on 160k km now and only downtime other than for services was for an exhaust manifold gasket, a fan belt that needed tensioning.
    It has never been down for more than a day and when in peak time the services was done at night.
    Very impressive, yes Toyota, from as far back as I can remember was king of the pile in that size, with the dyna and now the Hino.

Here is a photo of the shaft of the diesel pump that wore out because of wrong fitting.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mal Hannes; 2017/02/28 at 09:50 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast