Defender 300TDI starter acting up

Default 300TDI starter acting up

Hi guys! Haven't been here for a while. I have a question. My starter motor is acting up. It starts turning, but doesn't engage the flywheel. Every couple of tries it'll actually engage the flywheel and the engine will start. I took it apart about the weeks ago and cleaned out all the mud and gave it some grease. After that it worked perfectly - until a few days ago.

Now, the only thing that I can imagine it to be is the solenoid. The solenoid goes far enough in to start the motor, but not far enough to fully engage on the flywheel. Can this be the issue, and if so, where's the cheapest place in Stellenbosch/Paarl/Cape Town to get a new solenoid and some bushes while I'm at it?

Thanks!
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA
    Renault Duster 1.5DCI 4x4

SOLD - '96 Defender 90 300TDI - Terrafirma ProSport Shocks & Coils, Khumo KL71 muds, Allisport double core intercooler & FAST ORANGE silicon pipes
    FOR SALE - '03 Discovery 2 TD5 Facelift - WAS remapped (until a certain dodgy indy made off with my NNN ecu), CDL mod

I assume you've checked the POS+ power supply from the battery and the earth straps to the chassis and back to the battery on NEG- ?

Had the same trouble way back and wasted money on a new starter. Problem was due to a worn earth strap and I used a length of 50mm2 welding cable with two crimped eyelet ends. Cleaned up the mounting points, and added some copper grease. Problem solved. Voltage drop through the earth straps was the problem.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I assume you've checked the POS+ power supply from the battery and the earth straps to the chassis and back to the battery on NEG- ?

Had the same trouble way back and wasted money on a new starter. Problem was due to a worn earth strap and I used a length of 50mm2 welding cable with two crimped eyelet ends. Cleaned up the mounting points, and added some copper grease. Problem solved. Voltage drop through the earth straps was the problem.
    I actually cleaned up all the earth points a while ago. Perhaps I'm missing something somewhere. Did you starter motor also just spin up without actually engaging? It's completely intermittent. I've not had any issues so far today.
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA

SOLD - '96 Defender 90 300TDI - Terrafirma ProSport Shocks & Coils, Khumo KL71 muds, Allisport double core intercooler & FAST ORANGE silicon pipes
    FOR SALE - '03 Discovery 2 TD5 Facelift - WAS remapped (until a certain dodgy indy made off with my NNN ecu), CDL mod

That is your solenoid, make sure the shaft is lubed and change it, did it on my v8 last month, under R200
    Four wheels move the body,
    Landys move the soul.
    Current: Discovery 1 V8i
    Next landy, D3 V8 HSE Previous one.D1 300 TDi donkey, D1 V8 Fuel THIEF!!! freelander 1, biggest pos known to man,

strip the solenoid off and wash in petrol or Meths
    apply Q20 and reassemble
    problem is dust gets in and seizes up the plunger

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!

Quote Originally Posted by constantlm View Post
    ..................Did you starter motor also just spin up without actually engaging? It's completely intermittent. I've not had any issues so far today.
    Then the guys are right, solenoid issues.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

As said in my first post, I just stripped the whole starter, including the solenoid, and cleaned it all out. Either way, I think a new solenoid is in order. Where would I source something like this?
    Constant Meiring
    BMW F800GSA

Landy Parts for Africa aka LP4A
    1998 Defender Tdi Hard Top with ARB rear locker aka Slasher
    2004 Disco 2 V8 GS with 4" lift and 35" tyres plus a couple of little extras aka Goat
    2012 Disco 4 V8 HSE aka Rocky

If the starter turns but does not turn the engine it is the bendix not the solenoid

NO!
    a while back a Landy 300 came in with starter iisues
    the starter was spinning but not turning the engine
    found it dangling by 1 bolt

Land Rovers never die, they simply become organ donors!