Default Moving to Capetown?

Hi There,

I have applied for a job in Capetown, which means we (my family and I) might need to relocate to Capetown. In this regard, I have two questions (if I get the job):

1. How does living costs of Johannesburg compare to Capetown (Capetown 1.2x more expensive, or 1.5x more expensive?)

2. Which are good "Afrikaans" areas. Where we live in Johannesburg (Fairland), there is a good public Afrikaans primary (Fairland Laerskool), and two or three public High Schools that are of top quality. Are there similar schools to Fairland Laerskool, i.e., outstanding good Afrikaans primary schools? (Or are all private?) What are the average house price in these areas (3 Bedroom, 160m^2)
    (The Afrikaans School is to ensure my son pass, we do not converse to well in the Queens Language ...)

Thanks,
    Jaco

1. Living costs excluding houses are cheaper in Cpt. in a nutshell. It does not cost you an arm and a leg to do something in Cpt where as here you have to drive somewhere and pay to do stuff..

2. Northern subs. Depends what you can afford of course. But Durbanville etc would be the area to look in if you can afford. Also. depends where your work is. Traffic there can be an issue - think Pta East drving to Jhb in the morning. Maybe also look at Montivista/Plattekloofglen/Pnaorama/Edgemead if Durbanville is out of price bracket. Nice and central with less traffic to wade through...
    JT

Cape Town, Tokai/Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal

House prices are going to be a lot more than JHB... work on R10k/m2, you could go a bit lower
    Where in CPT is the job?
    Isuzu KB300 d-Teq with high range, low range and long range.
    Isuzu KB280DT wif a front diff.
    Mercedes W123 300D has been sold.
    Bio Fuel and WVO on hold for now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco Versfeld View Post
    Hi There,

I have applied for a job in Capetown, which means we (my family and I) might need to relocate to Capetown. In this regard, I have two questions (if I get the job):

1. How does living costs of Johannesburg compare to Capetown (Capetown 1.2x more expensive, or 1.5x more expensive?)

2. Which are good "Afrikaans" areas. Where we live in Johannesburg (Fairland), there is a good public Afrikaans primary (Fairland Laerskool), and two or three public High Schools that are of top quality. Are there similar schools to Fairland Laerskool, i.e., outstanding good Afrikaans primary schools? (Or are all private?) What are the average house price in these areas (3 Bedroom, 160m^2)
    (The Afrikaans School is to ensure my son pass, we do not converse to well in the Queens Language ...)

Thanks,
    Jaco
    Noordelike Voorstede is meer Afrikaans...

Stellenberg is baie nice, en het 'n paar goeie skole (HS Stellenberg, HS Durbanville en HS DF Malan).

Weet ongelukkig nie wat kos huise daar nie (goedkoper as Windhoek, maar dit vat ongelukkig nie baie nie)

Yeah, Housing is a bit more expensive (obviously dependent on location, location, location...)
    Durbanville also consist of:
    Sonstraal, Stellenberg, Kenridge, Eversdal and they are all areas with great schools and have your Afrikaans culture with it as well.

Its also where will you work? if you work in CPT CBD then its 30km from Durbanville, that's about 1:15min drive.
    Personally, Il like it "agter die boerewors gordyn" because its "my people" and the culture is great.

Its like JTK said, its where you can afford.....
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC
    2012 Suzuki Jimny(Sold)
    2006 Corsa UTE 1.8 club(still have)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    House prices are going to be a lot more than JHB... work on R10k/m2, you could go a bit lower
    Where in CPT is the job?
    It all depends on area.
    Generally, if you take a few JHB and PTA areas that's similar to the CPT areas (I am talking Afrikaans platteland vibes) the CPT is generally more expensive than JHB and PTA.....
    2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL DC
    2012 Suzuki Jimny(Sold)
    2006 Corsa UTE 1.8 club(still have)

Quote Originally Posted by ZuluCowboy View Post
    Where in CPT is the job?
    I stay in Centurion and we have compared prices to places of our friends in outlying area of Stellenbosch as well as Simonstown to what we were looking at at the time in Centurion and the house prices seemed a bit cheaper actually. The land area was smaller yes but the houses bigger and better for similar money.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

If Afrikaans is an issue in your household then the other side of the "boerewors gordyn" is where you will feel more comfortable. (CY and CF registration plates) CA plates generally refers to areas with few if any Afrikaans schools.

The further north the less expensive the houses. Generally speaking the southern suburbs have older houses, but more expensive for comparative sizes.

Another question is where will you be working. Cape Town traffic is much worse than Jo'burg traffic. Bear in mind, Cape Town sits in the one corner of a triangle, whereas Jo'burg sits in the middle of a circle. The result is more congestion since there are fewer access roads. Also, unless you live close to one of the main railway lines and your place of work can be reached that way you might as well forget about public transport unless you want to commute by minibus taxi.

Very many people living in "Cape Town" hardly ever visits the CBD and does not necessarily experience traditional Cape Town weather. Brackenfell is a very nice area, with weather more akin to that of Paarl, where chickens and pigs die in heat spells during extreme summer weather.

Weather wise Cape Town seasons are normally six weeks behind that of Jo'burg. Mid-summer is middle February, and mid winter is middle August.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Some info on exactly where your office will be & max time/km you are willing to travel to work? Lifestyle: you want to be in the centre of Hustle&Bustle or prefer more relaxed areas?

Stellenbosh/Somerset West/Strand:
    Last 2 mentioned are better house prices then Bosch, but more windy. Primary schools in Strand are more afrikaans then somerset. These 3 give you access to CBD via N2 which is a better drive then the N1. Stellenbosch have good schools & also very afrikaans, but the main road is traffic congested (Technopark is good career opportunity attraction) so depending on where you work to decide which side of town.

Durbanville/Brackenfell/Bellville
    Durbanville is more expensive & seen as the Yuppy Northern suburb with good lifestyle. Should find cheaper & bigger houses in last mentioned 2, but check area/location. Should find some good afrikaans schools in these areas. Travel is via N1 to CBD.

Paarl/Wellington
    More bang for buck on house prices & some good areas to choose from. Top afrikaans schools in the SA like Gimnasium. More relaxed country living away from the rat race. However 60/75km from CBD & travel via N1 not so nice, but doable.

Living cost is cheaper than Gauteng as salary earnings are also less in comparison.
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

Just do it. Moved down from JHB almost 7 years ago now - you wont regret it.
    You could try the West Coast. Melkbosstrand, Bloubergstrand, Sunninghdale, West beach, Tableview, Milnerton areas. But traffic can be hectic - not crazy hectic compared to JHB/Sandton/PTA. although you have the beaches and Atlantis dunes on your doorstep. Durbanville and surrounds are good areas if you dont mind being far from the coast.

I disagree with living costs being cheaper in Gauteng.
    House prices to buy is cheaper unless you want coastal areas then it's more expensive.
    Petrol and diesel is cheaper.
    I found most food was cheaper esp seafood - obviously. I dont know anymore i stopped comparing things after the first 3 or 4 months.
    Everything is closer so you spend less time and petrol than in Gauteng on average. So not sure what the other guys are saying. My brother in law and friends drives more than 4 hours a day in traffic in JHB esp if you work in Midrand or Centurion and even Rosebank areas if you live say randburg area. Even on the worst day in my car here in Cape Town I've taken 2 hours to work while it was raining and cars broken down etc.. Usually an hour and 15 minutes. By motorcycle it's 25min from Bloubergstrand to City Center and you have the BRT's which takes +- an hour and a half. Hell if you are into cycling there is a dedicated cycle lane all the way from the west coast to town. Tarred and marked.

Salaries are a bit lower but in the IT sector I've found not THAT much difference.
    overall i've seen working hours are a bit less demanding than in JHB as well.

For everything else, crime situation, municipalities, lifestyle, quality of life, etc etc Gauteng cannot compare imho. Not even close.

I've been back to JHB twice in all this time to visit relatives and friends and I hated both times. If I ever have to leave here it will be across the ocean and far away because I have to. I love living Cape Town. I was made for it.
    Last edited by Nox; 2014/08/13 at 10:00 AM.
    Tesla Model 3 LR AWD.Hey it has lower low-range than my Jimny had
    Land Rover Defender 90 2.8i - OME lift, 33" muds, freeflow.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD WK - Mud terain 32's, Spacers, Lift kit, GDE Tune.
    Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.8 JK - Mud terain tyres. Decat.
    Jeep Cherokee
    3.7 Sport KK - 40mm EFS lift, Mud terrain tyres, Spacers, skids.
    Jeep Cherokee 3.7 Extreme Sport KJ - 40mm spacer lift
    Suzuki Jimny ジムニ - EFS lift, ARB bullbar, Custom Maniac Rocksliders, Mud tyres, etc etc.
    Mitsubishi ASX Softroader

Good summary Nox.

Jaco, waar jy wil woon hang baie af van waar die werk gaan wees, maar die "Afrikaanse" areas is reeds hier bo gelys. Ek het in die Bellville/Durbanville area groot geword en weet die skole hier is baie goed.
    Dewald

Default Re: Moving to Capetown?

Reviving an old thread instead of starting a new one.

SWAMBO is considering a position at Cape Peninsula University of Technology but we first want to do some research to see if the move will work for us.

We have two small kids (2 year and 3 month old) so schools is something we need to consider.

What areas are the best too look at for houses so that travel time is not too long. We will probably rent first to get to know the area and buy at a later stage.

I see Jaco's profile says Somerset West, how was the move? Are you enjoying Capetown and how does it compare to your expectations?

Honestly, I have no idea what questions I need to ask, maybe they will come up as responses come in.

Cape Town, Tokai/Plumstead/The Sea/Franskraal

Kirstenhof primary is one of the best primary schools in the peninsula. Lots of day care and the commute to CPUT us not so bad despite what all the people will say. Houses are still reasonably priced there with lots of rentals.
    Isuzu KB300 d-Teq with high range, low range and long range.
    Isuzu KB280DT wif a front diff.
    Mercedes W123 300D has been sold.
    Bio Fuel and WVO on hold for now.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ZuluCowboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MThompson View Post
    SWAMBO is considering a position at Cape Peninsula University of Technology but we first want to do some research to see if the move will work for us.
    Which campus? One is in District Six, so virtually the CBD, another is in Bellville South, far from each other. And there is a third campus in Wellington, the education faculty, if I remember correctly.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Which campus? One is in District Six, so virtually the CBD, another is in Bellville South, far from each other. And there is a third campus in Wellington, the education faculty, if I remember correctly.
    I believe it's the one at Belville.

I read this earlier this week and found it very interesting;

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/cape...ost-of-living/
    To Operate Your Own Terrific Automobile AKA TOYOTA

18. The Following User Says Thank You to pase4x4 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pase4x4 View Post

Interesting reading. One items really hit me. Who pays over R700 for a pair of jeans and calls them mid range. The most expensive pair I have ever paid for was under R300.

The bottom line is that the belt has to be much tighter in CT than in JHB.
    Jouko
    ----------
    2015 Grand Cherokee Summit Petrol
    2012 Smart
    Never drive a normal car

Quote Originally Posted by pase4x4 View Post

This is VERY stilted

this is for the inner city (who in their right mind wants to live in Joburg' s inner city)

house prices and rental in the suburbs come closer together however CT house prices are higher but rentals are a bit lower

Cape Town is highly overrated, if you love traffic and death by unnatural means, it's the place to go 😊

Cape Town You are more likely to die of non-natural causes in the Western Cape than anywhere else in the country, according to Statistics South Africa (StatsSA).

The organisation launched its Mortality and Causes of Death in South Africa Report for 2015, where it was revealed the number of deaths that year was 460 236, which was 3% lower than the previous year.

At 13.2%, the Western Cape had the highest proportion of deaths due to unnatural causes, followed by Gauteng with 11.7% the majority being young men.

Some unnatural causes of deaths listed are transport crashes, self-harm and assault.

Districts with the highest deaths from non-natural causes were the Central Karoo and City of Cape Town, both at 14.3%.

Cape Argus

Quote Originally Posted by faniedup View Post
    Cape Town is highly overrated, if you love traffic and death by unnatural means, it's the place to go 😊

Cape Town You are more likely to die of non-natural causes in the Western Cape than anywhere else in the country, according to Statistics South Africa (StatsSA).

The organisation launched its Mortality and Causes of Death in South Africa Report for 2015, where it was revealed the number of deaths that year was 460 236, which was 3% lower than the previous year.

At 13.2%, the Western Cape had the highest proportion of deaths due to unnatural causes, followed by Gauteng with 11.7% the majority being young men.

Some unnatural causes of deaths listed are transport crashes, self-harm and assault.

Districts with the highest deaths from non-natural causes were the Central Karoo and City of Cape Town, both at 14.3%.

Cape Argus
    yes, Horrible place - please stay away

...at the above rate we might even get the population down in the region with less young males to reproduce..
    2022 FX4 Ranger 2L Sit 4x4 Auto
    2004 Ranger 4000 V6 Auto (Farm Lorrie & Heavy loads)
    2011 CashCow 1.6 (Swambo)

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamakazi For This Useful Post: