Arusha camping. - Meserani Snake Park

Default Arusha camping. - Meserani Snake Park

This is a must stay venue. It caters for overlanders and individual campers. Owned by ex South Africans, BJ and Ma from Natal Midlands.
    Conveniently situated outside Arusha on the route to Tarangire, Serengeti, Ngorogoro crater, Lake Manyara and Dodoma.
    BJ did a wonderful job repairing the welding on my spare wheel bracket in his well run workshop, which can undertake all types of repairs to your vehicle right there on the premises.
    You'll also find a Masai village, museum, snake and reptile park and a Clinic for treating snake, spider and tick bites. We spent a wonderful time chatting to other travellers from all over the world as well as Ma and BJ in the bar - restuarant.

Hi Witkat,
    Do you perhaps have the GPS co-ordinates for the Meserani Snake Park camp site.
    We are heading into Tanzania next year .
    Regards,
    Rory

You can't miss it. It is on the right hand side about (if I recall correctly) 10/15kms on the road from Arusha (outskirts) to Tarangire/Manyara. Just note that Maserani can get a bit busy and noisy (overlanders) and late night parties. This is also not such a problem because you can get to chat to other travellers to get info or to just share stories. It has an African-wanderer feel to it even though a bit commercial and is safe and secure.

If however you wish to have a more peaceful camp-over (also safe and secure), there is another camping area (hot water and clean ablutions), nice stands and again I recall (so I apologise for my poor memory) about 4 kms before Maserani right on the left-hand side of the road.

There is a great butcher in Arusha and the town has some excellent shopping centres/areas where you can get almost anything. You need to drive around town (the old town centre area) and get the feel of the place- I loved Arusha. You have to have G&T's at the Arusha Hotel. If you want more detail let me know.

Hi TRON,

maybe you can give me the name and adress of this butcher? We'll be there in the end of novembre and I know from the last time, that in the supermarket we couldn't get a vacuumized meat. Maybe this butcher can do it??

Thank you
    Beate

Thanks for the info guys we are planning to spend 6 weeks in Tanzania next year June/July 2015.

Yeah thanks for that information, the advice will go a long way

The butcher is called Meat King - from the clock tower heading into Arusha, turn 1st right next to Standard Chartered bank, and its up that road about half way on the left hand side. parking is a nightmare.
    If you are staying with Ma at Snakepark, ask her nicely and she might well put an order in for you when she does her own.

Meserani is about 30km out of Arusha on the way to Serengeti/Tarengire. If you go past the police check, you have missed it. It is on the right hand side, next to a fuel station (possibly House of Lubricants if memory serves!!)
    Opposite is a big gift shop selling woodcarvings and tanzanite.
    Last edited by Truckslag; 2014/09/01 at 04:55 PM.

Thank you, Truckslag,

so we will find this butcher and see, what he have to offer.

Unfortunately we can't stay at Meserani, we are going to stay at Zion Campsite at the Gate of Tarangire, so that we'll be in the nationalpark as early in the morning as possible.

Beate

Beate,

Yes it is Meat King and if I recall correctly, run by a Swiss couple. They sell all kinds of meat including bacons, ham also cheeses and condiments. When are you going? Also more details on your trip please.

If you are going to Tarangire then your idea to camp close to the gate is great. We were there in March/April (in Tarangire) and just missed the great herds of wildebeest and Zebra as they started their migration north to the Serengeti. It was quiet and we did not see much other than ellies. Most of the predators follow the herds.

Tron or Truckslag, does Meserani Snake Park only cater for campers - or do they have chalets as well? Thanks

Campers only

Quote Originally Posted by Truckslag View Post
    Campers only
    Thanks. Do you know of anywhere to stay (not camp) between Babati and Arusha? And not Tarangire.

Lat time i drove that road, there was nothing until Meserani - a little bit further on from Snake Park is the Merserani Oasis camp on the right hand side as you go towards Arusha - they have rooms, but i'm not sure of the quality