Stainless steel hot water tub and maybe oven?

Oceans247 Guest

Smile Stainless steel hot water tub and maybe oven?

Hello,

After much thought and research I have decided not to go for a gas shower.

I would like to make a container out of stainless steel that I can fill with water and leave next to/on the campfire to warm water which I will then use with one of those cheep electric showers from Makro.

I would like it to be the following dimensions 28cm/28cm and 38cm high.

I do not know how thick it needs to be to withstand the heat from a campfire. Advice on this would be appreciated.

How much do you think such a thing would cost? It is a very basic design, basically a box and maybe a lid.

Also it got me thinking, If I added a lid could I use it as an oven with some minor adjustments? But this is just a thought.

Other solutions to my hot water problem are welcome. I am aware of the obvious black bag shower and using a gas stove.

Regards,

Christopher

Cape Town

How about using an empty and clean paint (PVA?) drum (metal) to heat the water. I assume the Makro shower has a pump to raise the water to the shower head??

Your dimensions of 28x28x38 equals roughly 30 Liters of water. Get a steel drum of 40 Lt?? Stainless container will be too heavy and cost a small fortune to manufacture. Maybe even a watertight steel army trommel/ammo-box might work?

We used the 25Lt paint containers to boil water in when we went crayfishing years ago. Had a lid as well as a handle. The contraption was put directly onto the fire and this setup lasted for months, until it fell of the bakkie and was flattened by a truck!!

Stainless steel is not a good idea due to the low thermal conduction (k=15 W/mK). I would rather use mild steel (k = 60 W/mk) which will also be cheaper. SS will last longer, but if only used on camping and trips, MS will most probably last a lifetime.
    Last edited by Uys; 2008/05/08 at 08:54 AM. Reason: typo
    Overkill - isn't!

We use a empty 25l paint tin, same as ELU. You buy them brand new from a paint supplier, cost very little. They come standard with a lid and work as storage in the vehicle whiled travelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Faddel View Post
    We use a empty 25l paint tin, same as ELU. You buy them brand new from a paint supplier, cost very little. They come standard with a lid and work as storage in the vehicle whiled travelling.
    Ditto - Kalahari geyser

Let it stand next to the fire, do not make a fire under, or against it, the heat dissipated from fire warms the water sufficiently for a comfortable shower.

AB
    2004 Clubcab
    The difference between men and boys is the value of their toys.
    Growing older is mandatory, - growing up is optional.

Or just use a jerry can. I use a 10L - boils in now time and you can add 15-20L of cold water for washing purposes. We always take a platic crate for all the kids toys, in camp we empty it and then serves as the "bath".

Oceans247 Guest

I have to say I am always very pleased with the responses I get on this forum. What a great site!
    Thanks very much for all your thoughts.
    I have decided to take your advice will try to find the (new) paint tins you guys mentioned.
    Cheers guys

You might struggle to get a paint tin because most products are packaged in plastic drums these days
    * "Wat Spike probeer s in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Default Water Jerry can

we just use a water jerry can, stand next to the fire and it will boil in no time, decant into a bucket to shower< use welding gloves to handle< one jerry can can be enough for large group< 10 to 12 peoply