Camping near Mana Pools

Post Camping near Mana Pools

We are planning a trip to Mana Pools, but find that all campisites in the National Park are booked at the time we want to visit. Are there any other camp sites (or cheaper hotels) close to Mana Pools National Park where we can stay and then visit the National Park as day visitors? I cannot find any such accommodation on the Internet?

Hi there,

You don't mention in your post when you are planning on travelling, but Mana Pools generally needs booking a good 8 - 12 months in advance.

We are leaving from Jo'burg on Friday to travel up there. I booked a year ago and I still couldn't get a couple of the campsites I wanted.

As far as I know, day visiting is not an option at Mana Pools. But I could be wrong on that one.
    Mitsubishi Pajero LWB GLS 2005 - fully rigged to take us anywhere and everywhere.

I think some people have reported staying in Marongora - but I am not sure whether it is supposed to only be used "temporarily". I am also unsure whether day visits are allowed in Mana Pools - the road might be a bit of a pain to drive once a day, it might be heavily corrugated.

It would be helpful if you share your intended dates of travel - some people who already have booked spots during your planned stay might be looking to share the high camping costs.

Thanks for the reactions. I am planning to arrive on September 7th and depart on September 11th. I got a confirmation from the booking office for September 8th to September 11th, but not for the 7th.

Oh the reason for the fully booked park is clear - It is game count time! Considering this I am not too sure about relying too much upon staying in Marongora as there might be some others in the same predicament - perhaps you can ask zimparks?

Perhaps some other members here could recommend alternative places to stay, but they will all be too far for you to visit Mana Pools on the 7th.

Not sure where you are approaching from but if it's west or north you could consider camping one night by the shores of Kariba.

Jecha Point within a couple kms of Chirundu border post is a good place to overnite on the 7th. Pickup your permit 1st and camp at Jecha Pt. Typically a place the Zimbabweans use. Then you can enter Mana Pools early the next AM.