How long could you live in your caravan for?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How long could you live in your caravan for?

Ok, So here's the deal. My wife and I are Wedding Photographers, we travel a lot and are moving to the Cape (from Joburg) from December 2014 to shoot there as our main location.

We're considering spending about 4-6 months doing a working holiday when we first move, and kitting out a nice retro caravan to help us achieve this. We'd work on the weekends, and travel during the week, moving our van from place to place every so often. We can be based anywhere with an internet connection.

I'm currently thinking of doing a mobile office on one side of tha van, a Double bed on the other, and whatever else we need (and can fit) in between. It needs to be simple, and allow us to pack up and go easily. Preferably with no tents.

So, a few questions from my side:

1. How long could you live in your caravan? If you were forced out of your house tomorrow?

2. Do you think the Western Cape has enough decent caravaning spots to have an epic 4 months?

3. Any nice resources/tips you'd like to share with me?

4. What van would you buy, if you were a twenty something year old on a tight budget?

Do it, go and find out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk View Post
    Do it, go and find out while you can!
    +10!
    2008 Discovery 3 V8 HSE
    2015 Bushlapa Miskruier 395 (...hy het nie naam nie, sy naam moet hy nog kry....)
    Previous: 2000 Discovery 2 TD5 SE, XT 140

haha... Thanks. That's what I said!

Kuils River has a nice park and I'm sure there are many more, particularly if you go out to the coastal towns, and travel in for the days work.

December is good weather (not like now could be a bit miserable in a caravan for extended periods), but I'm sure all the parks will be fairly full, you'd better book.

At your age the sky is the limit, and you have all the time in the world.
    Caravans were not designed to live in permanently, but you can adjust if you have to
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Miller's Point campsite south of Simon's Town
    -never stayed there myself, but it looks fantastic-I believe there is a booking 'procedure' in place to keep it quiet there-search the threads, maybe, for more info, I think it has come up before.

Do you like to camp?

When you camp, you live with the elements, cold, wet, wind, its ok but you have to put your head in that space. Towing caravans is expensive, so fuel is big part of your budget.

Like the others commented, best you try it out. It is like sharing a double canoe, you and your partner will either hate each other after a while or be stronger for it!
    Last edited by ThomTom; 2014/08/04 at 04:57 AM.

What about security, If you do photography you'll have lots if expensive camera equipment and computers?
    Will insurance cover stuff stored in a caravan?

Jurgens Exclusive - we could easily live in it for many moons

PS - I know of a family that lived in theirs for more that a year while they had build a house near Harties. Had school going kids at that stage and they managed just fine.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

Thanks for the recommendations @Heinz and @Patrick. Will check them out!

I like to camp, but there are a few luxuries I can't live without. A decent Bed being one of them. We also need a decent office setup, not big, but comfortable. (2 laptops + 2 screens + keyboards and mouse for editing during the week). We're happy to customize the Van to fit our needs, and we're happy to live a simple, nomadic life for a few months.

@skylark. Yes, our equipment will be worth more than our van, but its all covered on all risk cover. I'll build in some security into the Van / gear boxes, but in the end, it'll be much safer than some of the places I end up shooting with my camera on my shoulder.

@spook, I'm glad you said that. Jurgens exclusive is top of my list. I like the size and shape... (But the kuk old one's that are cheap and nasty and can have their interior ripped out!) . I'm also still debating if we should go the full bathroom route in the van or just rely on the parks facilities.

I'm really keen to put in some effort and make it happen. I know we won't easily get this opportunity again in life. We've travelled overseas and through a few African countries before but always wanted to spend more time in our own country (esp down the cape side). Spending money on accommodation while travelling gives me the most sickening feeling ever! It always feels like a waste and takes up way too much of the budget. If we can cut the accommodation bill by a large chunk, we'll actually be able to make this happen.

Stellenbosch has a decent caravan park situated right between the Stellenbosch winelands and the Helderberg area.
    http://www.mountainbreezeresort.co.za/

Damn sure you will find reasonable places in most of the Boland towns to park the van. The W-Cape has its problems, but then you could also do a lot worse.
    Eggie.

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

This sounds like a good fun time about to kick start in your life! Go for it!! You only live once!

Ive also been told that Millers just outside Simons Town is very nice and will be camping there soon myself!

Let us know how this project and the planning go!
    "THE PURPOSE OF LIVE IS TO BE HAPPY ." DALAI LAMA
    Rob
    Toyota Hilux Legend 50 2.8 DC 4x4
    VW T-Cross (Swambo's car)
    Conqueror Companion II
    Harley Davidson Dyna FATBOB

I am sure you can make some deals down there to stay cheap if you do some nice photos for some places, just a thought. I also like the Jurgens Exlusive. There is also a smaller model with a bathroom. Bath rooms for " in case", For long stays, can hvae a cold etc.

Not sure which vehicle you plan to take? The comments that most long term caravaners have is they always have tent to cook in, people seldom do all meals in the caravan, smells, mess etc.

When our family moved from Cape Town to Pretoria in 1979, four of us (I was 12 and at school at the time) lived for 18 months between four or five caravan parks in the Pretoria area.

We had to move or we would be seen as squatters at the municipal parks.

Just about your biggest problem is learning to pinch until the sun comes up, when the outside temps are sub zero. Ask me about Polkadraai park in "Verwoerdburg" mid winter.
    David/Hillbilly - 1997 SFA Nissan Sani 2,7 TD - 5" lift on 33" tires - Dual Transfer with 4.1 gears

http://www.youtube.com/user/davidabcab

when i worked on construction, i stayed in mine for 18 months.loved it.
    depends on person and needs i guess

In the Caravan SA magazine over the past couple of months there have been stories about "full timers" with all the pros and cons. Perhaps you should dig up a couple of copies.
    Gen 4 Pajero GLX 3.2 DiD
    Forum Radio Licence 1037

How long, as long as needed. I lived in a caravan for more than 6 months way way back, as there was no housing in the small town I worked at. And this was one of those really really tiny little small minute (you get the idea) caravans.
    Enjoy it while you can though!

Go for it julle lewe net eenkeer hou ons op hoogte seblief

Ok a little off the topic but still along the lines of living in a caravan. While in Kruger this year I told my wife one evening while braaing and consuming some of the fairest Cape's juice that I could easily live in a caravan as long as it was in Kruger. My day job would be a grader driver, imagine that an elevated 360 aircon glass viewing platform slowly moving along those back roads that are closed to the public. Evenings back to camp or to the caravan parked in some isolated spot. Would work from South to north and then start all over again.
    2013 Disco 4 XS Lifted
    Toyota Yaris, Swambo's shopping basket
    Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2006 the worsies car for the beach(what a car!! )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast