Waypoints and google earth





Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Botriver
    Age
    47
    Posts
    2,116
    Thanked: 82

    Default Waypoints and google earth

    Hi,

    I have taken soil samples on my farm and marked all the points as waypoints on my eTrex20.

    Is there a way to import the waypoints to show up on Google Earth by exporting from Basecamp ?
    '65 Jeep Wagoneer
    SOA conversion
    Work in progress....

    https://www.facebook.com/Honingklip-...6324709414350/

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Forest Hills, KZN
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,686
    Thanked: 602

    Default

    Make sure you have Google Earth installed. Copy the waypoints into a folder in Basecamp files library, select it (left click) then click on Basecamp, View, Google Earth, and click on the folder name..

    It will open all those waypoints, files, etc. in that folder in G Earth

    Only discovered this today
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu]

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Piggs Peak
    Age
    62
    Posts
    207
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    Make sure you have Google Earth installed. Copy the waypoints into a folder in Basecamp files library, select it (left click) then click on Basecamp, View, Google Earth, and click on the folder name..

    It will open all those waypoints, files, etc. in that folder in G Earth

    Only discovered this today
    No this doesn't work. maybe Im doing it wrong.
    If you highlight a waypoint on BC and then go to View there is no option (Like there used to be) for selecting View in Google Earth.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brits
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanked: 407

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Export the waypoints to a GPX file. Open Google Earth. Click on File->Open. Change file type to "GPS File". Browse for the file you exported and voila.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Any tracks, waypoint etc in Basecamp or Mapsource can be viewed in Google earth. Just go to View and than select google earth.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/02/22 at 10:32 AM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brits
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanked: 407

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Any tracks, waypoint etc in Basecamp or Mapsource can be viewed in Google earth. Just go to View and than select google earth.
    This used to work fine, but it no longer works on my Windows VM. Which is really not a problem, as I only use Windows in VMWare for specific applications (such as BaseCamp, for example) and use Linux the rest of the time. So I could not be bothered to figure out why it does not work and fix it. At the moment, I simply do the export and open.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Thanks.

    Sometimes you have to open Google Earth first , before opening it in Basecamp or Mapsource.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/02/22 at 10:44 AM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Brits
    Posts
    1,541
    Thanked: 407

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Quote Originally Posted by JLK View Post
    Thanks.

    Sometimes you have to open Google Earth first , before opening it in Basecamp or Mapsource.
    Yes. I know - that is how I used to do it. But no longer works, but I couldn't bother fixing it.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Rayton
    Age
    34
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    If you have the .GPX files downloaded you can use a program called QGIS (Free open source) Software. Very Powerfull program to view and edit about any format. I can also send you a link that you add so that you can view google imagery on the program.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Gaborone, Botswana
    Age
    56
    Posts
    4,708
    Thanked: 799

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    The "View in Google Earth" was only available up to BaseCamp V4.6.3. From V4.7.0 on it was removed.


    -----------------


    In BaseCamp: Press and hold 'Ctrl'. Select all the waypoints you want to export. Then File -> Export -> Export Selection. Save as .gpx

    In GE: File -> Open. .... your .gpx file.

    You can do the same with tracks from BaseCamp.
    Kobus

    HDJ81 VX

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Piggs Peak
    Age
    62
    Posts
    207
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Thank to all. yes it is true - the view function (View - View in Google Earth) in BC is no longer available.
    As you say - you have to export the data you want.
    See Post #63 in the sticky (GPS Tips and Tricks) which some member from Nelspruit has very kindly made it easy to do.

    In fact if you export your whole library (say your trip to Bots and Nam) and the import into GE then its actually even better than viewing waypoint by waypoint. Its all there for you to browse through all the trip data. on GE. Brilliant!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,550
    Thanked: 419

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepers View Post
    Thank to all. yes it is true - the view function (View - View in Google Earth) in BC is no longer available.
    As you say - you have to export the data you want.
    See Post #63 in the sticky (GPS Tips and Tricks) which some member from Nelspruit has very kindly made it easy to do.

    In fact if you export your whole library (say your trip to Bots and Nam) and the import into GE then its actually even better than viewing waypoint by waypoint. Its all there for you to browse through all the trip data. on GE. Brilliant!
    Just a note. It is not in the sticky but in this thread: https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...d.php?t=269460

    Garmin BaseCamp - Tips & Tricks

    The 1st post has an index with links to the post you want to look up.
    Last edited by Daniek; 2019/02/22 at 12:34 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Waypoints and google earth

    Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    The "View in Google Earth" was only available up to BaseCamp V4.6.3. From V4.7.0 on it was removed.

    .
    Did not notice I dont use basecamp for trips planning other than its search function
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

Similar Threads

  1. Getting Oregon features with Nuvi & PC??
    By oubaas1 in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 2010/01/12, 05:55 AM
  2. Looking for waypoints
    By jacquespienaar in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2008/07/01, 07:32 PM
  3. How do I call up tracks on a Quest?
    By AndreG in forum GPS & Mapping
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 2008/05/14, 07:31 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •