Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Garmap & T4A on a Nuvi

Would an adult please explain slowly using small words.

I have a Nuvi 350 with SA Streetmaps 1.5 on a card bought at Makro last year. I would now very much like to load T4A but apparently need mapsource on my PC to load it and transfer to the GPS. There is also an update of the Streetmaps available that I would like to load (and the topo maps would be nice). I would also like to delete the European maps that were preloaded onto the GPS because they'll never get used.

I need the "Idiot's Guide" to what I need to buy, from who and what I need to download, from where, to achieve this. Obviously the cheapest option would be welcome, given that I need to fill up with 120l of diesel soon .
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter
    2005 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 Facelift

Your best and only bet will be to contact Family Dog here on the forum, he is the Best ..
    Ford 2.5 2005 4x4 SCab

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post
    Would an adult please explain slowly using small words.

I have a Nuvi 350 with SA Streetmaps 1.5 on a card bought at Makro last year. I would now very much like to load T4A but apparently need mapsource on my PC to load it and transfer to the GPS. There is also an update of the Streetmaps available that I would like to load (and the topo maps would be nice). I would also like to delete the European maps that were preloaded onto the GPS because they'll never get used.

I need the "Idiot's Guide" to what I need to buy, from who and what I need to download, from where, to achieve this. Obviously the cheapest option would be welcome, given that I need to fill up with 120l of diesel soon .
    You should have most of the stuff you need. With your NUVI you should get a USB cable and a disk containing MapSource and the Streetmaps 1.5 files. Plug your GPS into the USB cable and your PC and insert the disk which should install the MapSource software. It will also ask you to register your GPS/Maps with GarMap SA over the internet. Do this.
    Now you have the software you need. You can also download MapSource from http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209

Next you need to get the T4A files. You can buy the CD from most 4x4 and out door shops or you can order it from T4A. If you do not require all the map regions in Africa, you can buy the individual regions from T4A at http://www.tracks4africa.co.za/t4a_maps_pro.asp

Secondly you need to get holf of the new
    Garmap Africa Series 2008 DVD. It seems that most have not reached the shops but you can order it from here.

Now to upgrade from Streetmaps 1.5 to any of the new Africa Series maps, just plug in you GPS to PC, insert DVD and follow the links. You choose the maps you want, pay online with Credit Card and the mapset will be installed and activated. You can upgrade to steetmaps, or Topo & Rec, or DEM version and you pay accordingly.

T4A's CD contains all the files and when inserted into CD-drive will install all files to the Garmin Directory.

Now you have all the new files on your PC. Open MapSource. In the top left you have the map series that is being displayed. Using the dropdown list, you can choose other mapsets. Start with Africa Series Streetmaps as the selected mapset. Click on the Icon that looks like a scew block, (next to magnif. glass). Now if you click on the map, the grids will turn pink. These are the selected map grids that will be sent to your GPS. Once you have selected the whole area to be transferred, you can change the mapset on top left, to T4A for example, and select the grids. This will be added to your selection which you can see on the left of the screen where Maps, Routs, Waypoints and Tracks are listed.

Once you are satisfied that you have selected all the maps, you can click on the trasfer to GPS icon (Blue arrow pointing to GPS) this will replace all the previously installed maps on the GPS. (Except the Euro maps).

Now save the MapSource file as a name. For future use and editing. Download the MapSource manual from http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/MapSo...UsersGuide.pdf

As far as I know, the base map (European maps) can not the uninstalled.

Now let me see:
    Would an adult .
    Thats me (I hope)

explain slowly
    It took me an hour to type this - very sloooowwwly

using small words.
    Don't worry , I don't know how to spell long words in any case.

Hope this helps. It can seem daunting but it is not difficult.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Nissan Patrol 4.8GL OME, ARB, Drawers, 2nd Battery
    Challenger Off-road trailer with Howlin Moon tent

Brilliant post, Etienne! I was doing something similar to a Nuvi that a chap brought in for me to look at today - even though he did not buy the Nuvi from me Think I should charge the local Hi-Corruption shops a consulting fee!

Anyway, his pre-loaded SD card had gone vrot and stalled the whole GPS. He was told to buy a replacement GPS from another Outlet. Instead, we got hold of a new 2GB SD card and re-installed his software, the old SA Street Maps version 1. As he has plenty of space on his SD Card, I will see if he would like to upgrade to the new Africa Series DVD. Wish I had all that space available on my 276!

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Family_Dog View Post
    Brilliant post, Etienne! I was doing something similar to a Nuvi that a chap brought in for me to look at today - even though he did not buy the Nuvi from me Think I should charge the local Hi-Corruption shops a consulting fee!

Anyway, his pre-loaded SD card had gone vrot and stalled the whole GPS. He was told to buy a replacement GPS from another Outlet. Instead, we got hold of a new 2GB SD card and re-installed his software, the old SA Street Maps version 1. As he has plenty of space on his SD Card, I will see if he would like to upgrade to the new Africa Series DVD. Wish I had all that space available on my 276!
    -F_D
    Thanx, Eric. It seems the GPS market is full of seller but no supporters. You get a free GPS with everything from cell phones to DVD players...

I will probable get the 512MB Garmin Data card from Amazon - I'm just keeping an eye on the exchange rate. I had to trim a lot off my grids from the March 2008 maps to fit on to the 128MB card. I do get upset if 2GB SD card costs less than halve of the 512MB Garmin Card

Why can someone not develop a SD card adapter that looks like the Garmin card and slots onto the 276C?
    Ettienne Myburgh

I do get upset if 2GB SD card costs less than halve of the 512MB Garmin Card
    Exactly what I was thinking today as well!

I never bothered with the Topo in Africa 2008 for my 276C this time, had it previously with my SASM version 1.5 and it was handy, but in the end a bit messy and wasted too much valuable data card memory!

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

==
    Last edited by Bill Carey; 2012/03/01 at 02:29 AM.
    [

It's not as simple as making an adapter for the memory and slap in a microSD card. I'm not that au fait with the technology but as I understand it the Garmin memory card controller lives with the card and not in the device, which is not the case with SD, xD and other types of cards.

The same applies to Sony memory sticks...

Also for Garmin to now make an adapter for what is now effectively an outdated (albeit a great) GPS is probably not that cost effective.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2008/05/07 at 10:30 PM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Thanks Etienne...guess I'll be working late this evening.

For my peace of mind, I can't really bugger up anything on the Nuvi that can't be fixed can I?
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Nahhh... it takes less than half an hour to load the maps. Follow Ettienne's advice above, enjoy a nice cup of hot chocolate and load away!

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Khosaan View Post
    You should have most of the stuff you need. With your NUVI you should get a USB cable and a disk containing MapSource and the Streetmaps 1.5 files.
    My Nuvi came with the Streetmaps on an SD card and no disc. I'm guessing that I'll need to purchase / download the mapsource software from scratch.
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Imvubu

Just buy the DVD with all the maps and software from your Cape Union Mart or equivalent for R50. Then you have everything you need and a backup in case your SD card goes belly up.

Personally I cannot understand why anyone buys a GPS with preloaded maps on an SD card. Doing that you have no flexibility whatsoever. Rather ask the dealer for the maps on DVD and get a separate SD card.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2008/05/08 at 10:59 AM.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Personally I cannot understand why anyone buys a GPS with preloaded maps on an SD card.
    'Cause the bloke advertising the specials at Makro was very convincing and I'm a sucker
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Avnic changed their policy in this regard. They used to supply the CD/DVD along with the units, but stopped doing this a year or so back for the GPS's that have pre-loaded software on a SD card. It is a bit of a pain.

Imvubu, rather buy the Africa Series 2008 DVD from your local Dealer, costs R99 and has everything you will need.

-F_D
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4

Avnic changed their policy in this regard. They used to supply the CD/DVD along with the units, but stopped doing this a year or so back for the GPS's that have pre-loaded software on a SD card. It is a bit of a pain.

Imvubu, rather buy the Africa Series 2008 DVD from your local Dealer, costs R99 and has everything you will need.

-F_D
    Yes true, but they also have the option of buying the GPS without preloaded SD cards - this is what I am referring to.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

My Nuvi came with the Streetmaps on an SD card and no disc. I'm guessing that I'll need to purchase / download the mapsource software from scratch.
    Download MapSource only - it's free. Then buy the Africa Series DVD

Personally I cannot understand why anyone buys a GPS with preloaded maps on an SD card. Doing that you have no flexibility whatsoever. Rather ask the dealer for the maps on DVD and get a separate SD card.
    A bit like all the PC's being sold with VISTA and Office Pre-installed - but what if you need to expand or re-install? Also the GPS without a way of creating routes and inserting way points are pretty useless, but then there are many people who are happy with that.

I Cape Town there seems to be a stock problem - one of the reasons I got it over the Internet and they deliver very fast. I agree, you need the disk and all the maps installed on your PC.
    Ettienne Myburgh

Download MapSource only - it's free.
    Not true

You have to own Mapsource (by buying a Mapset CD with it included). The downloads are "upgrades" and you have to have an already installed copy for those downloads to work.

That being said there's nothing to stop you borrowing a CD and then downloading the upgrades.

Also the GPS without a way of creating routes and inserting way points are pretty useless, but then there are many people who are happy with that.
    I'm not sure what you mean by that? I never suggested anything about NOT being able to do that, or suggested not buying an SD card All I was saying is that it's less costly and more versatile opting for a separate DVD and a separate card.

Anyway, not sure about the Nuvi or others but most of the Garmin GPS store waypoints, tracks and routes in internal memory, and not on the SD card, so you can pop different mapsets in without affecting your waypoints and routes.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

I'm not sure what you mean by that? I never suggested anything about NOT being able to do that, or suggested not buying an SD card All I was saying is that it's less costly and more versatile opting for a separate DVD and a separate card.

Anyway, not sure about the Nuvi or others but most of the Garmin GPS store waypoints, tracks and routes in internal memory, and not on the SD card, so you can pop different mapsets in without affecting your waypoints and routes.
    Huhhhh?
    All I'm saying is that a lot of the functionality of the GPS units comes from the ability to connect it to you PC and work with the maps, routes, etc. on the PC. If you only have maps installed on the SD card (or internal memmory for that matter) you are limited to using the GPS as your only interface plus no upgrades are possible without the PC. Yet many people who buy GPS units never realise this and get a unit with no supporting software. I hope this come across more clearly.
    Ettienne Myburgh

I hope this come across more clearly.
    It does indeed We're on the same wavelength, except your waves are going faster than mine
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Not true

You have to own Mapsource (by buying a Mapset CD with it included). The downloads are "upgrades" and you have to have an already installed copy for those downloads to work.
    Mmm...just figured that out after trying to download the upgrade. "Oh bother" he said, meaning "Oh @#$%..."
    4xfagger no. GP0048

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast