Richtersveld 1st Post

Default Richtersveld 1st Post

Hi Guys, 1st post here.

I have read through a lot of the threads on the Richtersveld and just need to get some answers to some specific questions which I hope you can help with!

I drive a Defender 110 with standard Continental Cross Contacts & 1 spare. Long range tank and water tank, otherwise I travel pretty light and usually alone. In terms of recovery gear I usually take a seednet, shovel and inflatable sand jack (no hi-lift), tire repair kit + pump and a 3m tow strap.

I have done a lot of sand tracks CKGR and crossed Lesotho (in a Wrangler) but I haven't done much driving on sharp rocks.

I am planning to travel to the Richtersveld from JNB 1st week of September and then down to Namaqua and Cederberg before Hermanus & home.

Safety:
    1 - I am concerned about sidewall cuts & safety - Do you think I need to take a second spare? Any other advice? Route is Sendelingsdrif, Kokerboom, Tatasberg, Gannakouriep, Sendelingsdrif.

2 - I am a photographer so intend to walk around and take shots - I know snakes like hot rocks and sand and Puffadders don't like to move? A risk or my snake phobia coming in to play?!

Travel times queries:
    1 - Goegap to Sendelingsdrif - quickest route via Port Nolloth? How long would that take? How much epic landscape scenery would I miss bypassing Eksteensfontein route?
    2 - Inside the park - rough travel time - Sendelingsdrif to kokerboom?
    3 - Sendelingsdrif to Namaqua Groenrivier mouth - too far/long?

Trip Length:
    Is 4 nights too long in the Richtersveld? I am trying to fit in the Cederberg and Namaqua at 2 nights each as well, remembering that much of the first day will be driving to the destination.

Appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Take a look at the map, with distances, attached - issued by Sanparks.

I take a second spare everywhere .. the clean one inside the bakkie I use first, then the dirty one underneath the bakkie

Driving in the Richtersveld is really not challenging.

Four nights should be OK.

Welcome here on the Forum
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

From Sanparks website

Distances in the park

• Sendelingsdrif – Helskloof Entry Gate - 22km (25 min)
    • Helskloof Gate-Kokerboomkloof - 78.3km
    • Helskloof Gate-Richtersberg - 68.5km
    • Helskloof Gate- De Hoop - 53.7km
    • Richtersberg – De Hoop - 8.1km (Deep sand and sharp rocks)
    • Sendelingsdrif-Potjiespram - 9km
    • Sendelingsdrif-De Hoop - 38.2km
    • Sendelingsdrif / Richtersberg / Kokerboomkloof / Helskloof / Sendelingsdrift - 203km (9 hrs)
    Thus 25km/h, and from what I remember this was reasonable.

Hi

Was there a fe weeks ago. Not really to much 4x4 exempt from De Hoop to Tatasberg. the other roads are closed. Kokerboomskloof is very nice en lots of camera action. Time from Sendlingsdrif to De Hoop 2 hours without stopping. De Hoop thru Helskloof pass to Alexanderbaai 5 hours without stopping.

Enjoy the trip. Ps The roads in the park are bad......
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	118.1 KB 
ID:	298952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7981.jpg 
Views:	578 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	298953  

I also enjoy photography and have done many hikes in the park. Never encountered a snake but they are obviously there.
    Also have been to the park many times (we live 100km from the entrance) and have never had a puncture in the park. I do always travel with a puncture repair kit instead of a second spare.
    Enjoy, as a 4x4 destination, the richtersveld is not very difficult.
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab

Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I have been scouring the internet for pics of the roads, can't say they look bad at all - except for the pic you posted Gertjie-WP - my poor landy is going to be full of dust

Am I missing something, why does everyone quote a time through Hellskloof (I thought it was closed) on the way out? Is there a one way system? I assume Sendelingsdrif is the most time efficient route? I have changed my plans for a shorter leg down to Goegap when leaving the park. But I have a long drive from Augrabies to get to Sendelingsdrif on the first day - hope not too bad.

KimballR - thanks for the info on tires (and snakes !) . I don't like carrying a lot of unnecessary stuff and this saves me some space and plenty of money. Gaitshi, I assume the second spare is just so you don't have to get dirty!

The tracks inside the park can easily be handled - even the dusty one along the river to tatasberg (but also: you can avoid it by rather driving the inland route).
    Francois Johnson

(swambo: Christel)

Our rides
    • 2010 Isuzu KB300LX DTeq 4x4 D/C
    • Metalian Maxi Trailer, Maxine

Quote Originally Posted by w507 View Post
    Thanks for the reassurance guys!

I have been scouring the internet for pics of the roads, can't say they look bad at all - except for the pic you posted Gertjie-WP - my poor landy is going to be full of dust

Am I missing something, why does everyone quote a time through Hellskloof (I thought it was closed) on the way out? Is there a one way system? I assume Sendelingsdrif is the most time efficient route? I have changed my plans for a shorter leg down to Goegap when leaving the park. But I have a long drive from Augrabies to get to Sendelingsdrif on the first day - hope not too bad.

KimballR - thanks for the info on tires (and snakes !) . I don't like carrying a lot of unnecessary stuff and this saves me some space and plenty of money. Gaitshi, I assume the second spare is just so you don't have to get dirty!
    Helskloof was open last time I was there. I exited via that way as it was much shorter than back via Sendelingsdrif. In case you are planning of entering via Helskloof, that is probably not viable as you need to report to the office at Sendelingsdrif to check in. When you leave you can check out via the gate.

As for the ease of travel. We met a guy in a Tata 4x2 bakkie. He did most of the park, just avoiding the deep sand between Tatasberg and De Hoop. I did it in a LC76 with 33" muds. I wouldn't attempt it in my D4.

Enjoy it.
    Todd
    D4 V8 HSE

I did the entire park alone some 14 years ago in a 4x2 Nissan Hardbody, when the Richtersveld was still a remote place If you use common sense, you will be OK, but take a satphone for tht extra reassurance, it is remote and if something happens to you, it might be a long time before you can get help.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

Quote Originally Posted by camelman View Post
    I did the entire park alone some 14 years ago in a 4x2 Nissan Hardbody, when the Richtersveld was still a remote place If you use common sense, you will be OK, but take a satphone for tht extra reassurance, it is remote and if something happens to you, it might be a long time before you can get help.
    Also, take along enough clean drinking water
    Last edited by Gaitshi Gubib; 2014/08/01 at 03:30 PM.
    Johan Mitchell, .... r.i.v. Swambo Marthie

My beste kennis is dié oor my eie onkunde

'96 Colt DC V8 ... Safari Camper ... '88 Fleetline L
    '88 Ballade 150 ... sold
    "The rule here is that there is no rule" .. MikeAG

Water is important especially if you are away from the river.
    If you want to take great photos, you will need to do some walking. The view from the top of the tatasberg is worth the effort!
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab