Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    I have been supplying these fences for many years. Its a unit you can use to keep dogs out your garden etc. So you clamp the unit to a battery, it pulses around 6000v and are quite safe. Stick a few condute pipes in the ground and run a polywire, roll it up when you go and keep snooping animals out. I think its a easy way to keep your family safe. You will be ok most the time but we have people that leave food out, throw bones to animals and thus creating a problem.

Not feeding or entertaining animals in the campsites would have meant this post would not have been here now.

I have a few golden rules
    1]Elephants will sniff citrus, so thats a good start to a sniffing ellie.
    2]Young lions are like teenagers, looking for toys to chew, do not give them access to any.
    3]Dispose of rubbish properly, take it with.
    4]Do not feed any animals...ever.
    5]keep your meat in a fridge until such time that you want to braai.
    6]No young kids should be allowed to wander, they will become food.
    7]Do not walk at night in the dark.

Energiser that uses 4 d batteries R2600
    200m wire R110
    Tread ins insulated poles, R60 each or just condute pipe.
    A bigger energiser running off a car battery, same price.
    Engel I have been given a 230v energiser. Can this be converted to run off 12v.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Well I guess lions are preferable to this: Armed Robbery at Bakgatla -

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=193760
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2014/08/06 at 03:01 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

And so each of us has our own views...the closer I can (safely!) get to lion and leopard, the more I enjoy it, but the baboons are a different story. I had my R 8 000.00 heavy duty canvas tent torn twice by baboons in the Baviaanskloof (Doodsklip camp site). There are only 5 camp sites and you often find yourself alone there over a weekend. And if you then decide to go for a game drive, the baboons have open territory. I do realize that humans (or is it pigs..?) started the problem, but having returned twice to a torn tent crapped with baboon ain't fun - it's messy!

Hence: thanks for the tip! It may well work in Baviaans for the baboons. Where can one buy these from in the Eastern Cape..?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter26 View Post
    Engel I have been given a 230v energiser. Can this be converted to run off 12v.
    Most 230v energisers have a battery, so the 230v just charges the battery. Open it, and look, if so, run it off a car battery. You might have to disable the ac buzzer but operation will be the same

If it is a security unit you will have 3 [or 4] terminals, ie Earth [black] and live [red] and then a live return that monitors the fence. You can just ignore it or bridge the 2 red wires to keep the buzzer silent. Stick a earth spike into the ground from the black terminal.
    Training: 4x4, bush mechanics, recovery, defensive, 4x4 trucks
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    IP CCTV, electric Fencing, Automation, Gates, Stainless steel Fabrication
    You name it, we can probably build or manufacture it.
    COMBAT19: Large scale fogging and decontamination
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Had the same problem where we wired a stainless dish for the baboons. They quickly got the message.
    Supply and manufacture: Recovery gear, Custom 4x4 installations and manufacturing, 4x4 equipment
    Angel Construction
    Turnkey Construction solutions [Indoor shooting ranges, safe rooms, shops and shopfitting, Rainwater harvesting, Solar]
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel - What is the weight of your system?

Any pics of the energiser etc?

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Addo-Guru, are you seriously trying to draw a parallel between baboons in camp and lions?
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Weighs nothing. Round tube size of 1l coke bottel. With a few condutes and wire [actually rope with stainless strands inside] 5kg maybe
    Angel Construction
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Engel, it sounds like a good price for your unit. May you post your website?

Here is another website I found. Their unit is slightly more expensive but it may be a different product. (see overlander) They quoted me for the complete kit (12v system without battery): +/- R4100
    http://www.meps.co.za/pricelists.html

Just got a "pet fence" from Stafix.
    The kit comes with a 12V energiser, earth pole, 8 fibreglass poles, 24 wire clips and 200m poly wire.
    Will be trying it out in Central Kalahari this week.
    We are not "stupid, drunk, negligent or unfortunate", but if it makes my wife sleep a little easier I'll put it up:-)....
    Last edited by Oliver Osborne; 2014/08/08 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver Osborne View Post
    Just got a "pet fence" from Stafix.
    The kit comes with a 12V energiser, earth pole, 8 fibreglass poles, 24 wire clips and 200m poly wire.(for under R2k)
    Will be trying it out in Central Kalahari this week.
    We are not "stupid, drunk, negligent or unfortunate", but if it makes my wife sleep a little easier I'll put it up:-)....
    But Oliver,your wife should be doing the night watch whilst you have a good sleep

I sleep dead,so maybe I should invest in one in the future. Hate to wake up in a lions den
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

I took a Stafix fence with me to the CKGR last month. I did not end up putting it up (regretted not doing it one night when the lions had a bit of fun in our camp). I have no doubt it will prevent inquisitive lions coming into your camp. I tried it at home,and it has as much of a kick as my electric fence around my house !
    DISCOVERY 4 SDV6 SE

Quote Originally Posted by Rofmos View Post
    ...It is done in Canada and Alaska where bears are a much bigger problem than our carnivores...
    I live in British Columbia and we regularly have bears visiting in our suburban garden. I lived my first 30 years in SA and the past 28 years here, and have had many more encounters with wild animals here than I ever did there.

I have done quite a bit of camping in BC and have never seen anyone using an electric fence. I think that might slow down a raccoon, but it wouldn't bother a bear too much. To prevent bears coming into camp here, we keep food separated from the campsite and out of reach (slung in a tree). Clapping hands is usually enough to make them wander off. Of course, bears eat berries and lions eat meat.

Excuse the photography of the bear - I was ensuring my escape route was clear while I took pics from my front door.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0019_7.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	300540   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6137.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	78.4 KB 
ID:	300541   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6133.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	300542  
    2010 Subaru Forester PZEV
    2002 Mazda Protege 5
    1967 MGB roadster

Not all who wander are lost ... JRR Tolkien

> Jabula1
    Well done on being ahead of the pack.
    It seems to me that output Joules is the measure to look for, and for our purposes (short-ish run) a 0.3 Joule output unit would work.
    My property has 80+80+20m boundaries (back & sides) and it seems this will also be suitable to use there. If so, then this is dual purpose, and seems the way to go -just detach the energiser and have a portable kit (as you describe) for camping.
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

It's all good and well being for or against electric (or other) fences. I often camp in the Botswana bush and have had many encounters with inhabitants of the bush.
    When it comes to campers (or bush-lovers), all it takes is one dick-head to prove that he/she is 'Top of the food chain' or wanting to feed these wild animals and getting killed.
    The consequence of these actions lead to the 'Perpetrator' being hunted down and killed!
    I know of 3 instances where not 1, but the whole pride of Lion was killed because the authorities/individual did not know exactly which one killed a person or cow!
    I personally do not have a problem with an idiot being taken out of the gene pool, but I have a HUGE problem with the killing of the Lions as a result.
    Suzuki JX - home style modification...1.6 EFI Side kick, 3" Lift, 12000lb winch, Air Locker, MTZ 31x10.5 and a whole lot more...!
    Disco 4 - Bloody legend...!
    Nissan Patrol 4.2 - Bigger legend..!

The responses to this debate on the merits of an electric fence to deter lions in camp, indicate to me that there are 2 groups here:

1. Those that have not as yet experienced a terrifying and potentially lethal encounter with lions in camp.

2.Those that have.

Looking at most of the answers and in particular the attitudes displayed, it seems easy to see which is which.

I personally would not deploy an electric fence, but it remains a serious consideration under appropriate circumstances.
    Stanley Weakley.
    Toyota Landcruiser 76SW 4,2L diesel.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...-6-SLOW-DONKEY
    OR
    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Stan, I don't think we will ever use an electric fence either.

That does not mean I am a purist or insensitive to other's views or concerns, it is just not the way I want to or like to camp.

My reservations on an electric fence still stands. It is much like a Satphone to me. It is an additional, secondary measure.

With an electric fence deployed, I would still follow the same measures as when it is not there. Pack away everything, don't leave food and water out, stay close to the vehicle after dark, keep your eyes open, keep your kids close and as quiet as possible. I will not trust a fence until it has been proven again and again to keep a lion out that had intent of getting closer.

But in the same breath, as a precaution, an electric fence is more acceptable to me than firecrackers, air horns and walls of shade netting.

And if it saves one lion's life, well.....
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2014/08/10 at 11:38 AM.
    Christa
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT

BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Electric wires at about 75 cms high off the ground will certainly deter lions and hyenas as well as the big game...

A large male lion or lioness will not enjoy being taken by surprise and will in all probability reverse out of the place at great speed.

We saw this idea deployed at Mana Pools last September and it worked very well at keeping the hyenas out.

That dear old ellie bull who spends his time walking around that camp, walked into the trip wire one evening. He let out the most blood-curdling scream and ran screaming in the opposite diretion, not wanting to hang around and argue.

A well designed, sturdy single strand electric wire around the camp perimeter is a definite option.

We carry pepper spray - The jet kind, not the mist, as it will hurt you instead of anything else...

Having encountered cats on foot as a trails guide, cats ( When they are not feeding, have cubs or are injured ) are not a serious threat when walking.... Give me a cat any day before an elephant cow and calf or an allie bull in musth, but the most unpredictable is a buffalo!.

Animals look for food and water. Just don't leave it around and pack all away at night... That should elleviate much of the potential problem.

Hi Tim,
    Power
    Life starts
    where the comfort-zone ends.

Quote Originally Posted by lekhubu943 View Post
    Stan, I don't think we will ever use an electric fence either.

That does not mean I am a purist or insensitive to other's views or concerns, it is just not the way I want to or like to camp.

My reservations on an electric fence still stands. It is much like a Satphone to me. It is an additional, secondary measure.

With an electric fence deployed, I would still follow the same measures as when it is not there. Pack away everything, don't leave food and water out, stay close to the vehicle after dark, keep your eyes open, keep your kids close and as quiet as possible. I will not trust a fence until it has been proven again and again to keep a lion out that had intent of getting closer.

But in the same breath, as a precaution, an electric fence is more acceptable to me than firecrackers, air horns and walls of shade netting.

And if it saves one lion's life, well.....
    ++100 Lekhubu, and something else to add, desert animals in particular can smell water from literally km's away.

- if you must shower in camp then shower at mid morning when you return to camp to get out of the mid-day heat (the water will then have time to evaporate before sunset)

- all the water used for washing up etc to be slowly burned off around the edge of the fire which will then leave no trace of water.

- if you are really nervous about nocturnal visitors then shower well away from camp during your morning drive and dispose of your washing up water at the same time (carry an old 10 lt plastic paint drum or similar, to store it until you are ready to dispose of it)
    Discovery 4 SDV6 SE
    Defender 130 HCPU TD5
    SOLD - D4 SDV6 HSE

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast