prado 120 kzte workshop time

Default prado 120 kzte workshop time

After doing quite a bit of research and due to me having to do the clutch soon I decided to have a look at getting a bit more power out of the slouch.

My prado uses a bit of oil about 2 pints every 2 180l tanks, the oil usage is due to oil seaping past the turbo shaft so I was eventually going to have to either replace or rebuild the turbo so since I am after a bit more grunt, I managed to locate a billet replacement compressor wheel for the ct20. I have built similar hybrids for my other previous turbo cars so I am confident on going this route. I will compliment this by using my WMI kit I have lying in my garage.

I hooked up a boost gauge and the boost pressure doesnt go above .8bar so my aim will be to get about 1.2bar out of the new setup and use the WMI to keep EGTs in check once the hardware is in it will be back top the dyno to have the unichip reprogrammed and see what I can achieve with my old girl.

I am still looking around and hopefully someone knows where I can get a clutch kit for a 2003 toyota prado kzte?

That sounds interesting. Would love to see what the new figures would be. Have you replaced her head allready? Would the change have an influence on that?
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

no change to the head as yet, as far as I know the intercooled prado kzte doesnt suffer from the same head issues that the hilux kzte does.

my neighbour has the intercooled kzte Prado .... head replaced last month.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    my neighbour has the intercooled kzte Prado .... head replaced last month.
    Interesting, how many kms on his? what symptoms was he having? I had my thermostat changed to the lower degree opening one when I first got the prado and my engine temp never goes above half even when I have foot flat going on long uphillls for example out of the marrianhill toll towards shongweni under normal driving conditions it sits just above quarter.

Theres quite a few on Pradopoint that suffered the same fate. Just keep a good eye on the head and check regularly. Keep us up to date!
    Ockert
    Toyota Prado 120 4.0VX

Quote Originally Posted by OJ-K View Post
    Theres quite a few on Pradopoint that suffered the same fate. Just keep a good eye on the head and check regularly. Keep us up to date!

will do. Still trying to source a non oem clutch kit and the compressor wheel will only arrive in about a weeks time. Once I have all the goodies then I will pull the turbo and send it to my turbo guy to do the rebuild/machining while I do the clutch. I may fit the WMI this weekend to get that in place now.

if the head goes replace with a AMC head. Problems apparently gone after that. From what I read the ECU will throw out an error at 1.2bar. Rather at 14psi already. Goes into limp mode I believe... You need to fool the ECU if you want to go higher.
    JT

Hi Airtite, any update?
    Jacques

Waiting on the compressor wheel to arrive, I started installing the WMI this weekend I just need to finish the wiring and hook up the water feed might have it finished tonight.

wmi hooked up and running, while fitting the injector nozzle I had the intercooler off and I saw that my 120 has a large amount of carbon/oil build up in the intake tract and around the butterfly. I see on prado point guys who have removed the intake and cleaned up carbon build up have noticed a change in fuel consumption and acceleration as well as cruising ability. So once I have the rest of my hardware (still waiting on the compressor wheel) I will pull the intake manifold off and clean it out.

I have only had the WMI connected for 2 days now and the first day I was running just water with no meth BUT I could already see that my cruising temp when pushing in higher gears the temp gauge was staying lower and didnt rise to the halfway mark. Purchased the 25l meth yesterday and had an empty fuel tank, so put in R900 diesel did a 50/50 water/meth and will see how the car runs over the next few days. I can tell you that it is already more responsive and seems to rev faster/stronger and seems to want to pull past 150kmh easily now.

Quote Originally Posted by JTK_CPT View Post
    if the head goes replace with a AMC head. Problems apparently gone after that. From what I read the ECU will throw out an error at 1.2bar. Rather at 14psi already. Goes into limp mode I believe... You need to fool the ECU if you want to go higher.
    Please tell me more? Where, approx price, what is the difference? I think I must start looking around since my old girl has reached 300k and will probably start to 'do stuff' one of these days...
    * '03 Prado 120 3.0 diesel
    Iron Man suspension
    Snorkel, DIY fitted
    LED light bar
    ARB bumper (almost black...)
    Custom 63mm exhaust
    Charging thing for...
    * '11 Oryx campervaantjie
    C-Tec DC-DC charger

Quote Originally Posted by Beestekruger View Post
    Please tell me more? Where, approx price, what is the difference? I think I must start looking around since my old girl has reached 300k and will probably start to 'do stuff' one of these days...
    Toyota head is cast in China from recycled alu. not a reliable option. AMC head in Spain from billet alu. Reliable option...

Do a bit of a search on the web and you will get the info. Specifically Pradopoint.
    JT

Quote Originally Posted by JTK_CPT View Post
    Toyota head is cast in China from recycled alu. not a reliable option. AMC head in Spain from billet alu. Reliable option...

Do a bit of a search on the web and you will get the info. Specifically Pradopoint.
    Thanks, will do!
    * '03 Prado 120 3.0 diesel
    Iron Man suspension
    Snorkel, DIY fitted
    LED light bar
    ARB bumper (almost black...)
    Custom 63mm exhaust
    Charging thing for...
    * '11 Oryx campervaantjie
    C-Tec DC-DC charger

turbo compressor wheel should arrive any day.

some specs on the compressor wheel

- Dual 6/6 Blades
    - 38.87 mm / 58.01 mm(Inducer / Exducer)
    - Bore : 5.10
    - Tip Height :4.52

- 30% lighter than genuine cast wheel.
    - Offer extra 30% airflow than stock cast wheel.
    - Maximum boost 5 bar / 70 Psi
    - Balanced on Schenck Germany,Ready yo Work
    - Super Back

finally compressor wheel is here. I will pull the turbo over the weekend to have it sent in on Monday for rebuild and hopefully have it back Tuesday/Wednesday.

nice! what does the parts cost?
    JT

AMC head at a good price from Gemini parts ... about R 5600 if i recall

Quote Originally Posted by Wapenamanda View Post
    AMC head at a good price from Gemini parts ... about R 5600 if i recall
    wow! dink ek moet maar een koop net ingeval
    JT

Update. pulled the turbo off on Monday morning it was quite a quick job started at about 9:00 and had the turbo delivered to my turbo guy by 11 ish BUT the compressor wheel is wrong this turbo is a ct12B and the compressor wheel I ordered was for a ct20 which is MUCH smaller than the stock wheel...

the supplier has agreed to swap out the wheel with no issues BUT i cant sit here and wait possibly another 3 weeks (postoffice strike) for the swap out to land, I am probably just going to have the turbo rebuilt and install a manual boost controller and then when the replacement wheel land strip and rinse and repeat...

loads of oil but turbo bushes are fine oil looks like its coming in from the rocker cover. I am also confused I hear alot of talk of EGR blocking etc but I dont seem to have any EGR pipe between the exhaust side of the turbo to the inlet manifold?