2" Lift - Jeep TJ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2" Lift - Jeep TJ

Howzit Gents

I took my jeep for its first official trail (jeep track at century city) the past weekend and now the modding bug have gotten hold of me.

I want to lift my jeep only 2 inches as I do not have enormous amounts of money to spend on mods or problems I need to fix after the lift.

I am still a bit uncertain to do it as I do not really want to open up a bunch of problems.

Do you guy's have some advice/experiences (good or bad) on a 2 inch lift.

CarloJK Guest

All depends on the thickness of your wallet .Maybe PM Gunhog.

2 inch is very straight forward with a TJ & not much to worry about. The TJ guys can advise exactly what to do.

2" suspension lift is going to be a lot more expensive than a 2" body lift so one needs to decide what they are trying to achieve.

If the goal is just greater clearance through the use of bigger tyres then a body lift is good enough. If you are looking for improved articulation and clearance gained by bigger tyres as well as the suspension height, then you will need to go with the suspension route.

If you wish to go the suspension route you can go spacer lift which is the cheapest of these lifts, typically a couple grand and only gives you additional clearance. If you wish to achieve greater articulation as well then you will need to go full suspension replacement, which is typically only 4 coils and 4 shocks in the TJ.

In terms of difficulty or problems, the body lift once in will give you no problems at all, as nothing has changed in the driveline or steering. A 2 inch susension lift though is also very easy and has no real negative impact on the drivetrain in the long run. You might need to do a couple universals and the steering might be marginally affected but nothing you will really notivce. Its only once you start going higher than 2 inches that you need to start doing propshafts and things.

I did my lift last week. 2" zone lift, and a 2" body lift.

I'm very happy.

Before, after the 2" body lift, and then after 2" zone with the 2" body lift
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140709_070556.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	296559   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140709_131845.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	296560   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140710_155909.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	296561  

I'm not to keen on the body lift. I am considering the coil spacer's and new shocks option.

Hi Barry. If I remember correctly from the evening we met, you have 33's and a body spacer lift already. So if that's the case, adding a 2" coil lift will work nicely. You won't go wrong by getting a kit from Zone Offroad and most people will recommend them over other brands. The feel of the ride does come down to personal preference, but without a base to work on, you just have to buy something and enjoy it or live with it until you can make a change.

If you opt for Zone, you have 2 options as far as the shock goes. The coil spring will be BDS unless you want something else specifically, but I do not suggest nit picking for a basic quality kit. Most popular shock is the Nitro(gen) as it offers nice and firm dampening without rattling your bones. Nitro also runs cooler under pressure so the damping properties will remain pretty constant.

Then there's the Hydro shock which I opted for. It's less heat resistant, but has a softer dampening than the Nitro. The funny thing Bad Santa told me is, here in SA, people felt the Hydro was too soft, but in the States they felt it too firm! Well, it's a tad too firm for my liking, could've been softer. Darn innuendos 😂

On the other hand, just get a proper 4" lift done. I'll have to GIVE you my hard top you're supposed to buy so you can sell it for the cash 😉

The 4.5" Zone lift in the XJ is VERY firm and rides really hard, I have the Zone Nitro shocks with it. It gets better if its loaded to the teeth, I noticed this when moving house this past weekend. Empty though it is rather uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by cavok View Post
    Hi Barry. If I remember correctly from the evening we met, you have 33's and a body spacer lift already. So if that's the case, adding a 2" coil lift will work nicely. You won't go wrong by getting a kit from Zone Offroad and most people will recommend them over other brands. The feel of the ride does come down to personal preference, but without a base to work on, you just have to buy something and enjoy it or live with it until you can make a change.

If you opt for Zone, you have 2 options as far as the shock goes. The coil spring will be BDS unless you want something else specifically, but I do not suggest nit picking for a basic quality kit. Most popular shock is the Nitro(gen) as it offers nice and firm dampening without rattling your bones. Nitro also runs cooler under pressure so the damping properties will remain pretty constant.

Then there's the Hydro shock which I opted for. It's less heat resistant, but has a softer dampening than the Nitro. The funny thing Bad Santa told me is, here in SA, people felt the Hydro was too soft, but in the States they felt it too firm! Well, it's a tad too firm for my liking, could've been softer. Darn innuendos ��

On the other hand, just get a proper 4" lift done. I'll have to GIVE you my hard top you're supposed to buy so you can sell it for the cash ��
    I'm always open for any donations...

I don't have any lift at the moment, the shocks and coils are still the originals (Jeep is 2004 model). So I want to replace them they are a bit old.

And it is my daily driver, so I cant afford any mods that will take it out of action.

I am looking at the BDS coil and shock kit or the Skyjacker Coil Spacer and hydro shocks (but will have to import this).

Quote Originally Posted by StefanWC View Post
    The 4.5" Zone lift in the XJ is VERY firm and rides really hard, I have the Zone Nitro shocks with it. It gets better if its loaded to the teeth, I noticed this when moving house this past weekend. Empty though it is rather uncomfortable.
    That's the reason I am considering hydro shocks, a bit softer, apparently.

I'd be happy to organise with someone who has the Nitro's to have a day out so you can feel the differences. I'd also like to feel the difference as the only TJ I've ever ridden in is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by barrygee View Post
    That's the reason I am considering hydro shocks, a bit softer, apparently.
    I might look into that. Honestly though I think the coils are just too hard as well. I'm pretty sure the hard ride has more to do with the harder spring rate then the higher dampening factor from the shocks.

Have you thought about putting the Fox shocks in?

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Have you thought about putting the Fox shocks in?
    Thought about it ya. But I still dont think its the dampening factor thats the problem. I think its the spring rate that is too hard. Look, the leaf springs in the rear dont help either, very hard as far as springs go.

Here are the Fox over speed bumps, bearing in mind that I run my tyres very hard on tar at 2.5 bar. The ride is more compliment over the Zone shocks.

Please excuse the dog

http://youtu.be/lVTydpb-41c

Quote Originally Posted by XJ Junkie View Post
    Here are the Fox over speed bumps, bearing in mind that I run my tyres very hard on tar at 2.5 bar. The ride is more compliment over the Zone shocks.

Please excuse the dog

http://youtu.be/lVTydpb-41c
    I've seen the video and it doesn't prove much at all. What does interest me is when you hit the rough spots on the rode at about 0:28 the whole vehicle still shudders and rattles. That's the ride I'm trying to improve where yours is still too harsh with the Fox shocks. I realise the tyre pressure would help marginally with that but I've tried it on mine too and it doesn't change enough.

Ok, sorry about that.

on a side note, does the bump stops keep you shocks from bottoming out?

Quote Originally Posted by barrygee View Post
    on a side note, does the bump stops keep you shocks from bottoming out?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by StefanWC View Post
    Yes
    Yes that and prevents your larger wheels from crumpling the front fenders into something unrecognisable.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast