TRIP REPORT: MABUASEHUBE (including Rooiputs) June/July 2014 - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reports like these are the reason to be on this forum.

There is no Travel magazine or any other place to experience this, the way we experience it here.

This is the stuff dreams are made of!!!
    Dash Fibre: Doing internet differently, drawing customers with best price, keeping customers with best service.

Great comment MalHannes!

2011 Toyota Land Cruiser 76 S/W

Thanks for another great trip report Stan. Quick question, what make of roof tent do you have, and are you happy with it?

Thank you for an informative report. Just 3 more sleeps and we will be there.
    1997 Prado 3.4VX best car I ever owned. 300 000km and not 1 day downtime. EX
    2009 Subaru Forester xs Yusefina
    1969 Landrover Series 2A (my other half's) Ou Bessie

Great trip report Stan, thanks for sharing.

Did you by any chance take any pics of the new lodge at Rooiputs? Just curious to see what it looks like and how imposing it is over campsites 5 & 6....
    Mitsubishi Pajero LWB GLS 2005 - fully rigged to take us anywhere and everywhere.

Botsboy it is the hardbody clamshell from Alucab. Yes we are very happy. As the base does not fold up the high density foam mattress is thicker than in some other makes. It has more than enough space, the aluminium case makes it very sturdy in the wind and the gas struts make it possible to close and clip securely within a few minutes. The removable ladder stores within the tent as does all the bedding. It has built in LED reading lights and the inside of the roof is covered with quilted felt like material controlling condensation.

The rigid aluminium roof allows in our case for the mounting of a large solar panel and also sand tracks. I think it is heavier than some other makes and is also relatively expensive at about 20 G,s.

Oceanwanderer I travel with a bit of a heavy foot but our LC 76 cruises comfortably at 120km/hr on the flat roads approaching and in Botswana. It is a totally different story with steep uphills or when caught behind slower traffic on a bit of an uphill when the donkey bit is exposed.

Alicat I did not take photos of the lodge but there is one in my report on KTP and Rooiputs a year or so ago. Elize (witklipbank) has posted some on this forum.
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2014/07/16 at 03:16 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thank you Stan. Always enjoy reading your trip reports and photos.
    And as usual they bring back great memories of our own.
    Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 2009

Know where you are going in life... you may already be there!

Thanks Stan, great report kept me away from work again.
    Your attention to details make the read so much more a pleasure, so "yes" you managed again to catapult us into the Kalahari despite only in the imagination.
    Great documentary indeed.
    Kalahari Safari
    ORRA Call: WB58 | ICASA ZRF430
    Nissan Patrol GU TB45
    | Nissan Safari GU TD42 | B'rakah 4x4 Trailer
    E34 - 535i for a bit of nostalgia
    E39 - 540i for the open roads

Stan

I am lucky enough to have done a dozen or so trips to Mabua over the last 3 years. I can leave Pretoria early and be in camp by 6 so that is probably why it is a favourite. I have been in summer , Jan and Feb and March , and the long days add something really special to the trip.
    Moths are abundant at that time of year and what makes them really special is firstly their size and secondly their love of red wine. They can get into the glass between lifting it off the table and your mouth but its not a big issue. They do then also settle in your vehicle in the tiniest of spots to be discovered upon unpacking at home
    The one way trail back to Nossob is fairly devoid of game but the gemsbok that you will see are spectacular. The trail also goes through areas of dunes where the colour changes to a nice red sand from a golden yellow so could make for some spectacular photo's.
    I always try and stay at Leshogo pan No 1 as it is out of the way so people arent driving thru the campsite and I think being less popular the long drop is always in reasonable condition, no shower or water though
    There is a resident leopard in the hill behind the campsite and have encountered her on at least half of the trips.
    If you want tons of game then Mabua isnt the place to go.

Your writing has made me do a booking for September so thanks for that nudge.

Thanks
    Ross

Thank you Stan, what a great report and brilliant photography (I believe that Boudoir photography is becoming popular, maybe an avenue for you, but I digress). It certainly suggests that it will take many trips at different times of the year to fully appreciate all that Mabua has to offer, and I agree, the solitude and remoteness brings a slowing down of the pace of life, that really has to be savoured. The same as you, we woke when we woke, no alarm clocks or clucking chickens on the cell phones, and what a pleasure to sit up in an RTT and just look out at the world.

Really glad you had a good experience there and that you never had the need to stab someone in the leg, after all most of them could run quicker than you.

Regards
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Great report Stan,thanks for sharing.
    Cannot wait for our very first trip in Sept.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Thanks for this great report!

Quote Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
    Great report Stan,thanks for sharing.
    Cannot wait for our very first trip in Sept.
    what dates ?
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

We will be at Mabua 4, 13-15 Sept and Mpaya 2, 16-18 Sept.
    Malcolm

Great report and photos ...absolute wow!

Stan i Have just read a terrible report in Leisure Wheels regarding the corragations from Twee rivieren to Nossap being so bad, but You say not so.
    Have they possibly graded the road?
    I am a bit worried as I am going there in early August and I hate corragation even though its a given, ..but !!! How bad and for how far.

We are also staying at Rooiputs for 4 nights and I can't wait.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Three weeks ago the corrugations were less severe than usual, but they vary. I am not sure if you are aware but they smooth the surface of the road by dragging a triangular contraption by tractor, with the flat side surfaces of 3 tractor tyres making contact with the road surface and thus smoothing out the corrugations. I think they found that grading was lowering the road surface too much and spoiling the view for game viewing.

The best thing for corrugations is to lower your tyre pressure at Tweerivieren to about 1.4 front and 1,6 to 1,8 rear.

Enjoy your trip and I hope you get to know the Rooiputs pride.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks Stan. It was as usual great to visit these places (after we have been there during May this year) via your excellent trip report and magnificent photos.

You mention a planned trip to Africa next year. Where to?
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

They still use the tractor dragging the contraption behind it. When we were there in April the road from TR to Nossob was horrendous when we arrived but the tractor then did its thing and the road improved tremendously. I doubt the improvement would last for long so it just depends on the timing of your visit and where the tractor is. The tractor also turned around at Polentswa so north of there was still terrible.
    Malcolm

Malcom was it you who predicted the lions would visit us at Mpaya 2? Beware mate, the worm turns!

Andre our trip has been long planned for the year after I retired. We have no fixed route or schedule or even timespan set. We probably wont go as far as Egypt because of all their vehicle rules and costs. Thus we will probably turn back in Sudan somewhere and explore all the way back again.

We want to concentrate on northern Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia and then Sudan. I have been researching this for some years now and think I have all the highlights and off the beaten track places sorted. We have received lots of help and advice and things will also evolve as we meet other travelers. This is the beauty of going on your own. Basically we will tend to take a more western route north and a more easterly route south including the Kenyan and Tanzanian coast and adjacent wilderness areas and also the countries we missed on the way north including Malawi and northern and central Mozambique.

We will have to see about our tolerance of this sort of life, but I envisage being on the road for at least a year. We are fortunate in not undertaking this on a shoestring budget and if we get gatvol can always store the vehicle and fly home for a break.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Great report Stan! Your photography is top notch!

I think the attraction of Mabau is that it is relatively close to SA, cost of camping is affordable and the area is big enough so that even with a full park, one does not really notice the pressure from other visitors.

For me personally, when I do get away, I prefer to be as far away from anybody else as possible and the absence of huge numbers of game in the park does not bother me too much. There is such a variety of scenery and landscapes and that, plus the company of a favorite traveling companion will make the getaway worthwhile for me.

I wanted to ask, in one of your previous reviews, you mentioned something about a custom made camera case that you use in the Cruiser. Would you mind posting a bit of detail around that. I am always struggling with the soft camera bags on the back seat and lenses all over the show and will be looking at doing something different with my cameras in future.
    Peet Schultz

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast