TRIP REPORT: MABUASEHUBE (including Rooiputs) June/July 2014 - Page 4

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Dankie Christa en Elize. Ek weet goed dat Mabua 'n spesiele plek in jul lewens het.

Kan ek vir julle (of enigiemand ) asseblief vra wat vir jou die beste kampeerplekke in Mabua is en hoekom. Ek het probeer rondkyk maar dit was 'n baie oppervlakkige evaluering.
    Vir my staan Mpaya no 2 uit.

Maar elke kamp is spesiaal,

andre het 'n goeie opsomming gegee.
    Elize
    en ry saam met SarelF in
    4x4 Isuzu NPS 300 met kamper
    Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Nice Stan, we did a quick 3 days at Mabua capsite 1 in June, first time, your report bring back memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Balljoint View Post
    Great report and photos ...absolute wow!

Stan i Have just read a terrible report in Leisure Wheels regarding the corragations from Twee rivieren to Nossap being so bad, but You say not so.
    Have they possibly graded the road?
    I am a bit worried as I am going there in early August and I hate corragation even though its a given, ..but !!! How bad and for how far.

We are also staying at Rooiputs for 4 nights and I can't wait.
    We returned last week from Mabua. Were at Rooiputs, Polentswa and Mabua.
    Road from Rooiputs to Nossob was not bad at all. Far better than we expected. Nossob to Polentswa was another story. 2 days after arriving at Polentswa the road was graded and really smooth but three days later when we left the corrugations were setting in again.

Thanks gents for the info on corrugation info , I must just hope for the best when we there!
    Thanks Bushlover for the latest info.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Stan baie dankie.

Puik verslag !

en jou fotos is voorwaar iets besonders !!

. In Afrikaans .
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Stan,
    Jou verslag en fotos maak mens sommer lus om te gaan(weer). Soos julle, is ons bang/huiwerig/allergies vir koue, en ons het toe daai koue front getref. Ek -4 in ons RTT gemeet, en van die mede kampers by TweeRivieren en Mata-Mata het -11 en -8 onderskeidelik gemeet op hulle voertuie. Die waterbottel en warmwatersak in ons tent het gevries. Gelukkig het ons warm geslaap.
    Ons was in die Kgalagadi van 9-17 Julie. Ons het na Polentswa gery en so stukkie op die Mabua pad. Sou jy se dit is geskik vir offroad treilers en karavane?
    2003 Toyota Condor 4x4 3l Diesel
    2001 Conqueror Offroad Trailer
    2014 Toyota Etios Sedan 1.5
    2002 BMW 318i (Sold)

Great report and photo's Stan. Thanks for sharing.
    On fuel at Tsabong, there was no fuel available at any of the fuel stations when I was there in May this year

Brilliant trip report thanks for sharing! Time I planned another trip to Mabua

Superb report Stan and your photography is brilliant! We're off to KTP from 30/08 to 13/09 staying in 2R and Nossob. Cannot wait to back there!

Quick question but how did you get the eye level shots of the sandgrouse drinking?

Thanks all.

BoerInBeton, Ek hou glad nie om iets te trek nie. Baie mense doen die Bosobogolo pad Mabua toe met offroad treilers en karavane sonder moeite. Het seker baie ervaring. Ek sien daar is 'n huidige TR waar hulle lekker gesukkel het met die sand-duine.

Super daav. The sand grouse shot was taken from my vehicle. The parking spot is a little lower than the slightly elevated waterhole. 600mm lens. I must confess that I still feel that my equipment exceeds my expertise. But I am taking lots of shots and feel that I am getting more keepers with practice. I read on the subject voraciously and have received excellent guidance from various people. Not yet time to go on one of those expensive wildlife photography guided tours yet though. Still too much of the basics to learn and experiment with.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Default Always love your trip reports Stan

Quote Originally Posted by Henk67 View Post
    +1
    Me too!

Thanks Stan for your insightful and fascinating reports. You set the bar very high indeed. I am putting together a trip report for a trip that we did to the South African side - a week after you so we have the cold front. Thanks so much for alerting me, on your earlier posts, to the Lanner Falcon hunts at the water holes. We had many pleasurable hours watching them at work.

Pleasure Valodia. It is surprising how easy it is to miss the stooping of the falcons at the waterholes. Superficially all you notice is the doves or sand grouse suddenly scattering in panic. The falcons come in so low and fast that they are very easy to not notice at all in the confusion.

Most of these attacks are not successful and to obtain a meaningful photo is very difficult indeed, something I still have not yet succeeded with. When followed carefully these falcon attacks can be as exciting as a cheetah or lion chase.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan,thank you so much for a excellent trip report. The photos are beautiful, and really makes reading this, a memorable one. I have never been there, the closest we got was Nossob. Our children are still a little too young for this experience... I love all the detail and info of your report and this will surely be a lot of help for prospective visitors to this region. I can only agree what Pieter said in the previous post - this is the stuff that dreams are made of!

Thanks stan for a wonderfull report. You have taken some quality photographs, thanks for sharing. Love the shots of the lions especially. . You do have a serious camera which helps .

Dave

Living in Spain, dreaming of Africa
    Overland U.K. to Cape Town 2011/12
    Nam/Bots/S.Africa Sep/Dec 2013
    S.Africa feb 2015
    Namibia Sep/Oct 2015
    Defender TD5 csw 2006
    Defender 300tdi csw 1994

Stan - Which camera and lens did you use for these pics. The detail, sharpness and lighting is stunning!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	296581   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	167 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	296582  

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks all, hope the report proves handy, of interest or just plain nostalgic.

Paul, the light was absolutely fantastic that early morning at Mpayathutlwa waterhole. The rising sun was obliquely behind us, bathing these springbok in this golden, soft, oblique light. The body used was the very good Canon 5D Mark 3, but perhaps much of the atmosphere was captured by the Canon EF 600mm F/4 L IS USM lens, the mark 2 version. No editing was required other than a slight crop.

These fairly recent new generation lenses are far lighter than the first version. The 600mm now weighs almost what the old 500mm one did. Nonetheless it is not all that easy to shoot hand-held and I have the very stable Apex bean bag on which is mounted a Gimble head. Orms wave a greeting as I drive past, (just as certain establishments on Claremont Main Road used to when I had 3 kids at 'varsity).
    Last edited by Stan Weakley; 2014/07/22 at 08:26 PM.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

I think we all own a couple of bricks in that Orms building!

Nice handling of that big lens in the bush.

It really is superb quality.

I miss my 5D which was sold.
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2014/07/23 at 12:22 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Thanks Stan.Very,very nice.Brings back great memories.

Dean

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast