TRIP REPORT: MABUASEHUBE (including Rooiputs) June/July 2014 - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Balljoint - The Dune road north from near Urikaruus to Nossob is extremely bad. I would avoid that. It's even designed to test Toyota's.

As said above the condition of the other roads depends on when they were graded. Friends (new to 4x4) went for the first time over the Easter weekend and could not believe how good the roads were!

The rule is tighten everything before you go and yes when you return.

There have been stories of even Landy's losing their bumpers. The corrugations have been very bad every time I have visited. Even my fridge cord does not enjoy it!
    Last edited by Paul Dold; 2014/07/16 at 06:56 PM.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    what dates ?
    Rooiputs 24-28 Sept , Nossab 28 Sept - 1 Oct , Poletenswa 1 Oct - 5 Oct, Twee Rivieren 5 - 6 Oct.
    Howard

Nissan Murano

VW Caddy 2LTdi

Metalian Off Road Trailer

Peet I did quite a drastic modification removing the back seat entirely and replacing it with a cupboard like packing system, his and hers on either side. Between them I have 2 long drawers sliding into the front seat area between the driver and passenger and the cameras with mounted lenses are stored in these. The drawers are lined with dense foam for protection. The beauty is access from the driving position.

I posted some photos of this setup here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=184185

I think it photo 3 or 4 that shows the closed drawers best. They are also lockable and this where all my cameras and lenses live on a trip.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Thanks for the great report Stan. I agree with your sentiments regarding Lesholoage 2 being a great sit. We were camped there just a few days after your visit and had a surprise visit by the local lion pride just after dark.
    There is a shower with running water and a resident family of very friendly francolin.
    Motopi ?1 (closer one to Nossob) was a dry camp but with lovely trees to camp beneath and worth a stay. The stay-over shortens the trip leaving more time to enjoy everything.
    You took exceptional pics of the lions at Rooiputs.
    Thanks again for the pleasant narrative.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Peet I did quite a drastic modification removing the back seat entirely and replacing it with a cupboard like packing system, his and hers on either side. Between them I have 2 long drawers sliding into the front seat area between the driver and passenger and the cameras with mounted lenses are stored in these. The drawers are lined with dense foam for protection. The beauty is access from the driving position.

I posted some photos of this setup here http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...d.php?t=184185

I think it photo 3 or 4 that shows the closed drawers best. They are also lockable and this where all my cameras and lenses live on a trip.
    Thanks Stan, that really looks great. Still have to convince myself to rip out the backseat - guess that will be the logical way to go.
    Peet Schultz

Great story & pictures, Stan. You future travel plans sound stunning, AND, give us the promess of hearing lots of things about countries we didn't know yet. You were lucky that quite a few of the waterdrinking points worked. Could you give me a clue HOW you get your pictures in such a nice full size. Curious! We still have to make the item of our last CKGR visit, in the cold of june. But the pictures made of our first seen caracal, would be nice to be able to post them in a bigger size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Reports like these are the reason to be on this forum.

There is no Travel magazine or any other place to experience this, the way we experience it here.

This is the stuff dreams are made of!!!
    +100

Great report and wonderful pics Stan, thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Pieter Hugo; 2014/07/16 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spelling!
    2007 Land Rover Freelander 2. Not my best - my only!

2006 VW Jetta 5 2.0 Tdi

Bush Lapa Vlooi - SOLD!

No Stan, it was not me who predicted lions at Mpaya.

We leave in 10 days time but not as adventurous as you and only going as far as Lake Tanganyika. (Mabua will be at the end of that trip)

We just did a flying visit to Rwanda and gorillas were worth every cent, I am sure you plan to include them. (And it was plenty of cents)
    Malcolm

Thanks all.

Gerda, I include the instructions on how to post full-sized photos within the text. I copied and pasted this from a post on this forum but did not save the post reference and so cannot give credit where credit is due. I think it was Kobus (one of them). I trust he will not mind my plagiarism. You can also use one of the resizing programmes if you want them slightly smaller.

You do not need Lightroom to do this but I am really no expert.

UPLOADING PHOTOS
    1. Go to LIGHTROOM library, select the photo you want and click on export.
    2. Create a suitable new folder from My pictures and name it.
    3. On the 4x4community website either click on new thread or reply button. Insert the text.
    4. Click on attachment management tool.
    5. Click on browse, making sure the new photo storage album is open.
    6. Left click on photo chosen and click on open button.
    7. The correct URL will come up.
    8. Load all the pics wanted, each post will take 40.
    9. Left click on upload button.
    10. Wait for them to upload.
    11. Once the URL is displayed on the edit or post page on 4x4 community site can proceed.
    12. Right click on the URL here and then left click on the COPY SHORT CUT choice.
    13. Scroll back to text and carefully click right on the left hand margin carefully choosing the amount of line gaps you want between the text and photo.
    14. Do not click on the URL on the manage attachment page as this will fail to create thumbnails and the pics will not be posted.
    15. From the icons on the top of the box, in the function bar, select the place photo one. This is the one depicting 2 mountain peaks.
    16. Delete the Http// displayed in blue.
    17. Then right click and paste the URL link into this area.
    18. Left click OK.
    19. The selected photo should now be seen pasted here and will display.
    20. Repeat for each photo to be added, making sure to space correctly and to place curser flush against the left hand margin.

Malcolm Cowell: Apologies, I think it was Trooper who wished the lions upon us at Mpaya. Please let us know how you find Lake Tanganyika and northwestern Zambia. There is not a lot of info out there. Are you going on to the Tanzanian shores as well?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Hi Stan, we are going to stay in Zambia, go from Kapishya to Ndole Bay. Will report back to the Forum it will be an 8 week trip.
    Malcolm

Landcruiser 76SW.

Hi Stan,

I am sure if you can read german. Anyhow, there is a nice and detailed Tanzania self-drive trip report by Erika in the Namibia-Forum

http://www.namibia-forum.ch/forum/15...?rb=1&start=18

She recommends a Jacobsen Beach Lodge & Campground in Kigoma (at the bottom of the page) which looks like a picture postcard.

Maybe something for your trip?

Best regards,
    Anne

Thanks Anne, with Google translate this site will help my research a lot Thank you so much.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Another gem, thank you Stan

And as said, your photo's are getting better and better.

My view on some of the questions here.:

1. The lodge at Rooiputs. We have never found it intrusive, either in looks or noise. I am always surprised by the outline of the lodge when one approach Rooiputs from the north. I think it blends in very well with the landscape. Changes are much more for noise and light polution from fellow campers, than from the lodge

2. Corrugations are part of the KTP. We, like you Malcolm, were there in April and the road from Melkvlei to Nossob were the worst we have seen it in 4 four previous trips. We deflated tyres to 1.2 for it to be bearable. On our return trip, the tractor has been past and it was noticeably better. The improvement however only last two or three days.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Thanks gents for the info on the road condition between TR and nossob.
    Suzuki Grand Vitara,
    Metalian Maxi bush trailer.
    Harley Davidson VRod.

Dankie Stan. Sjoe, dit bly 'n mooi węreld. Dankie vir jou verslag.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

Dankie Christa en Elize. Ek weet goed dat Mabua 'n spesiele plek in jul lewens het.

Kan ek vir julle (of enigiemand ) asseblief vra wat vir jou die beste kampeerplekke in Mabua is en hoekom. Ek het probeer rondkyk maar dit was 'n baie oppervlakkige evaluering.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

Malcom was it you who predicted the lions would visit us at Mpaya 2? Beware mate, the worm turns!

Andre our trip has been long planned for the year after I retired. We have no fixed route or schedule or even timespan set. We probably wont go as far as Egypt because of all their vehicle rules and costs. Thus we will probably turn back in Sudan somewhere and explore all the way back again.

We want to concentrate on northern Zambia, Tanzania, Rwanda, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia and then Sudan. I have been researching this for some years now and think I have all the highlights and off the beaten track places sorted. We have received lots of help and advice and things will also evolve as we meet other travelers. This is the beauty of going on your own. Basically we will tend to take a more western route north and a more easterly route south including the Kenyan and Tanzanian coast and adjacent wilderness areas and also the countries we missed on the way north including Malawi and northern and central Mozambique.

We will have to see about our tolerance of this sort of life, but I envisage being on the road for at least a year. We are fortunate in not undertaking this on a shoestring budget and if we get gatvol can always store the vehicle and fly home for a break.
    Wow Stan, this sounds magical. I wish I could motivate Tunie to do a trip like this. Maybe you can also make use of trip info from the Voetspore team. I am sure they did a lot of travelling in those areas.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Dankie Christa en Elize. Ek weet goed dat Mabua 'n spesiele plek in jul lewens het.

Kan ek vir julle (of enigiemand ) asseblief vra wat vir jou die beste kampeerplekke in Mabua is en hoekom. Ek het probeer rondkyk maar dit was 'n baie oppervlakkige evaluering.
    Stan. Hierdie is my beskeie mening (al het ek nog net oor die 200 bydraes op die Forum) per pan na 'n paar vakansies die afgelope 3 jaar:
    • Bosobologo Pan. Kamp 1 - Van die twee kampe is dit die enigste een wat 'n pit toilet (PT) en stort (BS) (sonder emmer) het. Dit het ook die beste uitsig oor die pan - droog of vol water
    • Mpayathutlwa Pan. Kamp 1 het die beste geriewe i.e. PT, BS en water. Maar dit is ook die besigste kamp want almal in die gebied kom haal water en wil daar stort en respekteer nie noodwendig jou privaatheid nie. Ek verkies die ongemerkte kampplek (het nie 'n A-raam nie) net wes van die water gat. Weet egter nie hoe om dit te bespreek nie (Elize kan dalk help). Al die kamplekke het 'n goeie uitsig oor die pan met die ongemerkte een die beste veral as pan droog is ( naaste aan watergat)
    • Mabuasehube Pan. Kamp 4 deel nie sy geriewe (PT en BS) met ander vakansiegangers (soos kamp 2 en 3) nie en het ook 'n goeie uitsig oor die pan. Ek hou eerder van Kamp 1 vir sy afsondering en uitsig, veral as die pan vol water is. Dit het egter geen geriewe nie. Ook nie 'n A-raam nie
    • Lesholoago Pan: Kamp 1 het die beste geriewe i.e. PT, BS en water (baie brak en sout). Dit is ook die naaste aan die watergat en het 'n goeie uitsig op die pan.
    • Monamodi Pan. Kamp 2 het die beste geriewe i.e. PT, BS en water (alhoewel hoog in chloried, soet en drinkbaar). Daar is 'n watergat naby maar die uitsig oor die pan is nie baie goed nie. Kamp 1 deel die geriewe
    • Khiding Pan. Die twee kampplekke sit bymekaar en deel die PT en BS. Sal net daar makp as altwee kampe deur my groep beset word
    Behalwe anders genome, het al die kampplekke 'n A-raam en braaiblok. Die gehalte van die geriewe wissel egter baie. Van goed tot sleg. Veral die toilette by Monomadi en Lesholoago 2. Namate daar aandag gegee word, verskil dit egter elke keer dat ek hierdie plekke besoek.

Verder hou ek ook daarvan om die Wildernisroete vanaf Mabua na Nossob te ry (oorslaap by Mosomane Pan met geen geriewe) en dan by Polentswa Kamp 1 (PT & BS) en Rooiputs Kamp 1 (al die ses kampe het PT & BS maar deel dit met die kamp langs hom).

Behalwe vir die normale gemsbokke, springbokke, blou wildebeeste, koedoes, jakalse en volstruise het ons al by of naby al hierdie kampe leeus en luiperds gekry. Elande het ons nog net op die Wildernisroete gekry.
    Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 aka "Skillie"

Previous : Defender 2006 TDI aka "Slakkie"

Stan, this might sound very strange, but Mabua is not one of my favourite destinations. It is just too busy with too many people and we found quite a few overlander wannabees there.

Game is not our priority, however we do enjoy birdlife. Isolation is our biggest motivator. I much prefer Polentswa and anywhere as far north in the KTP as possible.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast