Casual 4x4 Trail JNB South

Default Casual 4x4 Trail JNB South

Hi All!

I'm new to this forum and have read quite a bit on the weekend getaways and trips the community has and always following with awe.
    I would like to try my hand at a bit of off-roading and have some of experience in the past on muddy and rocky tracks, going up and down mountainous tracks due to working in the bushveldt, I will not call myself experienced though.

What I'm basically looking for is a nice casual day trip of 4x4 driving I can enjoy with my family and maybe have a picnic or braai at the end of the day, hopefully see something wild as well.

I'm located close to Alberton and would not like to travel very far.
    Hopefully if the family takes a liking it can be something we can do more often.
    I drive a Prado 150 VX and I'm also not keen to go and damage the vehicle.

Thanks very much for any ideas/feedback

Welcome to the forum!
    Hope you find many fun things to do in that great 4x4 you got there.
    All the best!

Keep checking the site out, there arelots of people that want to do exactly what you areasking for. The durbs guys have just organised such a trip and it looks like a blast. Not everyone is into hardcore rock climbing and car bashing.
    Jeep, there is only one.

Welcome, groenkloof in pretoria is good. Hobby park in krugersdorp has mild to wild. And de wildt is a good start up in the heartbeeapoort dam area.
    Hope you enjoy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I see we are from the same area, you can try a day out at Bass Lake about 25 km south of Alberton off the R59 at Henley-on Klip. Check out their website. There are also decent facilities around the lake for a braai after doing the trail.
    2008 SUZUKI GRAND VITARA 2,4 A/T
    WIZERD LIFT KIT, WIZERD BASH PLATES,
    WIZERD TRANSFER CASE PROTECTOR,
    WIZERD ROCKSLIDERS, 235/65/17 BRIDGESTONE A/T
    1984 SUZUKI SJ 410

Thanks all for the welcome! I posted in the Introductions first but in some mixup this post seemed to go through first.

I was in Durban a month ago not far from the route, was visiting family! Definitely something I will join next time I'm down there!

I have read a lot of reports on de wildt and will definitely add it to my to do list!

I did it so many times that I am tired of it. The mud is just awesome I went in with a big sash and this rubi decides to copy me and broke something in its engine. As I always say never follow an xj or you will get into trouble.

Sorry I meant splash

Thanks StevenG,

Bass Lake looks great! It is quite close too! I will give them a call and make a plan to visit this weekend! Should give the family a good taste of the outdoors!

Stay out of the water at Bass Lake if you don't want to scratch your car. The reeds are overgrown and the track is very narrow. Once you are in its to late.
    We are going to Baraka in Parys this Saturday

XJ ? is this a Jeep? Sorry for my ignorance, not to familiar with all the vehicle acronyms. Most of the 4x4's I have only seen the outside of in any instance.....

Thanks for the advise FJCcruising, that will be the last thing I would like to do!

Yes the water area at bass lake is craaaaap now. but the rest of the trail is fun and you can braai and chill next to the lake/dam/mine hole thing.
    We also have a free trail on car Swartkoppies and Kliprivier behind the shooting range. it is tons of fun in summer after rain but also nice river crossing and a nice area to practice.
    We going to Barakah this weekend, a few FJ's. Join in
    FJ Cruiser

BMW R1200GS LC

4x4 AG GP0132

Hi All!

Thanks ginoFJ, unfortunately I saw your post too late, was hectic last week.
    So Sunday morning (yesterday) we woke up and decided to go through to de wildt as I liked the look from their website and keen to give it a go.
    I must say it is an awesome place and the Prado glided through the obstacles I was brave enough to take her through. We went round the whole track but avoided things like the 2nd and 3rd river crossing as well as the mud pools and gert se klip..... how the hell you get up there beats me, I almost fell on by behind trying to walk up there.

The scenery was terrific and the animals walk past you as if you are just another bloke in the bush (sounds wrong). The family enjoyed it a lot and took a lot of pictures but once back at home the pictures just do not do justice to how it felt going over those obstacles.
    I'm glad to say that we took it slow and not a scratch was on the vehicle when we finished, not even the sump guard was touched, but as said there was a couple obstacles that I avoided.

Welcome to the forum, will also give you a heads up when we plan on a outing. Maybe if your missus would like to partake,..........

http://4x4community.co.za/forum/showthread.php?t=190194

It is going to be a jol
    Alan

Defender on Steroid's (Sadly sold)
    Previous: Pajero 3.5 V6 (Gas Guzzler)
    Series 3 109 SW (Tortoise)
    Platkar Ford Fiesta 1.6tdi (Swambo's present)

Default Re: Casual 4x4 Trail JNB South

Sorry to wake up an old post. But where do we find the trail at klipriver. I have heard about it but never been able to find it. I heard there is one near the R50 dam next to rand water . Is it the same one? My brother just got his 4x4 and wants to test simple dirt roads before we head out for bigger things.

Thanks