Jurgens XCape - Page 6

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 ... LastLast

Thread: Jurgens XCape

hi AVM..I just purchased a xcape and also upgraded from a lightweight 4x4 trailer without brakes to the xcape....the weight factor is overrated in my mind...towing from Centurion to Phalaborwa via Tzaneen was a breeze...fuel consumption was equal to towing my 4x4 trailer...average of 11,7lit per 100km. I simply didn't expect that. I tow with a pajero sport 3.2 DID. Towing in deep sand will obviously be heavier than most other caravans in it's class but I can live with that.

Hi AVM, the xCape comes standard with a Brad Harrison connector on a cable which needs to be connected from the vehicle and then also a built in 220v battery charger .

The solar charger is for my panels which are connected separately because there is no dc to dc charger. Your alternative is to use a dc to dc charger for the cable from the vehicle and also the solar panels (I use this setup in my car for my fridge) but the controller in the caravan has the added advantage of being able to see what is going on with your 12v power.
    Last edited by CliveR; 2015/05/06 at 06:59 AM.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by kznjeep View Post
    The previous owner of our Xcape converted the left corner of the tent to a square corner, making the tent a lot bigger. It is drawing attention wherever we camp. Should be manufactured like that by Jurgens

Could you possibly post some pics of the tent? Inside and outside.

Hi AVM, as Paul says, weight isn't an issue. I towed the Afrispoor Mongoose for years and still have it so my comparison remains current. Hardly noticeable change if at all. Go for it - you won't regret it.

Thanks for reassurance on weight issue.

Clive, so the controller you are referring to is not a charger but rather a regulator?
    Ranger 3.2 XLT D/C 4x4 A/T 2019
    Armadillo Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AVM View Post
    Thanks for reassurance on weight issue.

Clive, so the controller you are referring to is not a charger but rather a regulator?

I am not so technically advanced but here are the details from the web

The Steca PR series of charge controllers is the highlight in the range. The latest charging technologies, combined with the Steca-AtonIC state of charge determination which has been significantly improved once again, result in optimal battery maintenance and control of the module output of up to 900 Wp which can be connected to it. A large display informs the user about all operating modes with the aid of symbols. The state of charge is represented visually in the form of a tank display. Data such as voltage, current and state of charge can also be displayed digitally as figures on the display. In addition, the controller has an energy meter which can be reset by the user.

The regulator is managed with simple menu-driven programming buttons and has a manual load switch.

FEATURES
    Hybrid controller
    State of charge determination with Steca AtonIC (SOC)
    Automatic voltage detection 12V/24V
    PWM control
    Multistage charging technology
    Graphical LCD display for operating parameters, fault messages and self test
    Load disconnection depending on SOC
    Automatic load reconnection
    Temperature compensation
    Common positive grounding or negative grounding on one terminal
    Integrated data logger
    Night light function >LI>Integrated self test
    Monthly maintenance charge
    Electronic protection functions: overcharge protection, deep discharge protection, reverse polarity protection of load and module and battery, automatic electronic fuse, short circuit protection of load and module, overvoltage protection at module input, open circuit protection without battery, reverse current protection at night, overtemperature and overload protection, battery overvoltage shutdown

Yes its a fancy regulator. Very nice product which enables you to manage your 12v power availlabilty nicely.
    Ranger 3.2 XLT D/C 4x4 A/T 2019
    Armadillo Plus

When I bought my Xcape I changed the jockey wheel from single to double. It works much better in thick sand. I also put a bracket to clamp it on the A frame. Further I also fitted in the original space where the jockey wheel was a tube to store the jockey wheel on when I am driving ( see trailer plug in picture). Stock standard towing in thick sand and a high middelman will destroy the jockey wheel if you don't remove it
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by mur2; 2015/05/17 at 10:23 PM.

That is clever, well done. Is yours the one featured in a recent Caravan and Outdoor magazine?

Certainly worth looking at doing and yours looks like a really nice job was done - did you do it yourself?

Default Jurgens XCape

I am not sure how strong the bracket would be for the jockey wheel.

I found that it wobbles on a previous trailer I had.
    Last edited by CliveR; 2015/05/18 at 08:37 PM.

No Mike that is not mine. The job was done by Loftus Caravan. On my first trip with the xcape I destroyed my jockey wheel on the way to Savuti. I lost the wheel of the jockey wheel. Much better and stronger than the single jockey wheel. Will look for a picture where it is hitched. Going to khutse next week.

I'd give anything to be going to Khutse! In Rome for two weeks and 4x4ing is far from anyone's mind. Kruger at the end of June and I'd rather be there. But, Rome ain't bad as a substitute.

that deep sand road to Savute is a real killer even without towing anything...reminded me of a small rubber duck in the waves...i nearly got sea sick!

Mur, did the skid plate on the Xcape not help with the middelmannetjie? If not, the only other option would be to remove the jockey wheel

Paul I should have removed the jockey wheel. The same thing happened to my Brakhah caravan. I then also had it changed similar to the Xcape. Brakah later on made all jockey wheels double and mounted out of the way from possible damage.

Here is a picture and if you zoom in you can see where the jockey wheel rides now - out of harms way;
    Mike I love Rome - enjoy.

That jockey solution looks really good but man, that Xcape looks good behind your car!

This is a close up of where my jockey wheel is riding.

Hi mur2

How do you mount it while not in use? I don't quite understand how it stays up like that.

Thanks

Clive

You fit a round pipe in the hole where the jockey wheel was originally, the jockey wheel then fits over the pipe and when you are driving you rely on gravity to keep in place. Have been doing it for more than 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by mur2 View Post
    You fit a round pipe in the hole where the jockey wheel was originally, the jockey wheel then fits over the pipe and when you are driving you rely on gravity to keep in place. Have been doing it for more than 10 years.

Ok. Makes sense. Is it a galvanized pipe? I suppose you need to measure the lot before you just buy.

Page 6 of 52 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 31 ... LastLast