XJ Bumpers

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XJ Bumpers

Default XJ Bumpers

Decided that the Jeep needs a new set of bumpers when i am back...

What are the options with regards to winch ready, high clearance bumpers...

I quite like the land rover style bull-bar that I have on now and want to weld this to the top of the bumper so maybe someone that can make a bumper and then weld on the top. see pic

Also would like to keep the fog lights.

rear bumper with spare wheel and high lift jack carrier... also space for a 2 jerry cans.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

I want a spare wheel carrier, but I don't want to lose the stock rear bumper... I'm sure there are ways of doing it.

When are you back?

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Hopefully back in june for 3 weks... thing is i don't want to mess around with the little time i have. Envisage a morning in the workshop or fitting myself and then onto the trail.

I don't have the standard towbar so want something with more clearance.

If you just want the wheel carrier I am sure you can get something similar to the OE wheel carrier. They are very abundant here. I will try and see exacly where they are attached. I was thinking something with the bulk of its weight supported by the quite sturdy rear bumper, you could also add some more support to the rear bumper. Then brace the top onto the body work in the region of the tail light. I am sure there is some structurally tough area there. The construction of the wheel carrier itself should be quite simple... wheel bearings are a favourite in the states.

I definitely want to keep the rear wrap arounds and i am sure that it will just involve some cutting to fit them around a new rear bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    ... thing is i don't want to mess around with the little time i have. Envisage a morning in the workshop or fitting myself and then onto the trail.
    Steve, the options for over the counter bolt-on bumpers in SA are very limited. Basically ARB front and none rear. All the rear bumper/carriers available locally are custom made. You could of course order a nice one from the States to your doorstep in Peru and then fly it in when you come back...you might be a bit overweight with your luggage though . Saying that, I received an email from Guy Heritage the other day - he'll be selling rear bumper/sparewheel carriers soon. It's locally made (a copy of a US one) and depending if they make stock or only on order, you might be able to buy one from him...but the catch is that its really an unattractive bumper. If however you get get the the rear quarter panels to fit over it, it might look a whole lot better. Here's how they'll look...

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

Guy is still a loooong way off with this bumper. Clyde from Jeep Connections will import it an have it copied by their sister company, Startrek Hitches. Their factory is so busy, I'm not sure when they'll get to it. I know because I've just placed a R1,5 million order for towbars! I haven't seen Clyde for a week or two but I don't think the sample has been ordered yet.

Also, I wouldn't want to pull ANYTHING with that bumper, unless they add decent frame tie-ins.

Andre
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

I've just placed a R1,5 million order for towbars
    Hehe, my budget is abit more limited...

Been doing some searching and will see what I can organise from the states... Kaap se kant been looking at Nomad... and they have already done an XJ front and rear system... so hopefully will be able to get them to make something up without having to send the vechile in... but then heard some horror stories about Nomad... Burnco and then very impressed with some examples of desert stormers work. But still exploring my options...

The guy heratage bumper looks dodgy... the brackets don't look atall right. The good examples I have seen all have a double bracket (so 4 attachment pionts) on to the unibody. Also have to tow a largish caravan and now a keel boat aswell... so need a good intergrated tow hitch.

Any XJ drivers willing to go together and try for a bulk discount. I am willing to pay full price and pass on all the savings to someone willing to take thier vechicle in for the measuring and test fitting...
    Last edited by Biggles; 2008/04/30 at 05:09 PM.

Charl
    I want a spare wheel carrier, but I don't want to lose the stock rear bumper
    Haymen Reese

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&ih=009

Looks the business...

Here's another few pics of the Nomad setup - taken by myself with a not-so-good cellphone camera at Tygervalley a while ago.

http://www.4x4community.com/forum/sh...5&postcount=61

I must say i am heavily leaning toward the Nomad system... it does look good and sturdy... the tow hitch looks like it will dissappear on comand.

A little concirned about thier reputation though. Need to look into that abit more.

Just har a quote back for an ARB front bumper fitted... typed this after i had recovered... R14000

14 grand is robbery
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Any XJ drivers willing to go together and try for a bulk discount. I am willing to pay full price and pass on all the savings to someone willing to take thier vechicle in for the measuring and test fitting...
    Sorry, I'm broke! Bumper will have to wait a while.
    (See http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=19105)

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

Sorry, I'm broke! Bumper will have to wait a while.
    hehe, and i have a feeling your not to upset about being broke!!!

Hi Biggles, I stopped by Nomad today to check out their bumpers. They definatly look pretty tough and I know there are plenty of vehicles out there with them fitted. And the prices are not too bad.

I am tinking of fitting the rear bumper to my XJ. The spare wheel carier is an extra which you add onto the bumper, the only thing I dont like about it is the location of the release latch - it is located under the spare wheel. But they say that it is the best and most reliable system they have been able to come up with.

You get the standard spare wheel carrier or you can get one that can carry the spare wheel and 2 Jerry cans and a hi-lift jack, or you can fit another one on the other side for an extra spare wheel.
    Both the front and rear bumpers have recovery points and high-lift jack points fitted standard.

The nice thing is that they can custom make whatever you need to your sizes and specs. The bumpers are epoxy coated in black or gunmetal silver - or you can have them colour coded for a relatively small extra cost.

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Your post coincides with a reply from Nomad with regards to the bumper. I will PM you the prices he gave me.

If you are serious about the rear bumper then they mention they need th evechicle for 3 days. If you are getting it done you can just get them make 2. I would be keen on the tirecarrier with place for 2 jerry cans and high lift jack.
    Last edited by Biggles; 2008/05/15 at 08:16 PM.

Biggles, what does Nomad charge for a rear bumper/tyre carrier? Does it look like those pics I've posted in that link?

What are you doing on the front? That quote on the ARB is ridiculous - that's about R5000 more than what I paid less than a year ago - I did mine though Chris at R&D Offroad. The price you mentioned sounds like one with IPF spotlights and a winch fitted as well!!

My steel finally arrived for my bumpers - 150x50x3mm. Baas has made it perfectly clear that there will be no Jeep work this weekend though!

Andre
    4 XJs, 2 TJs, 2 KJs, 2 WJs, 2 WKs, 1 XK

2010 JKU Rubicon

Changa, I assume that's rectanglar tubing - is that for both front and rear? Are you looking at doing something similar to that Aussie guy, Steve F on NAXJA? I quite like what he did:

Front:
    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=86763

Rear:
    http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=899237

I presume the bumper is the same as you posed. Red-J has been to see them and it seems the same. The front bumper is the "ARB" style bumper. I will repost thos pics tomorrow, they are on teh work computer.

Rear carrierR2000 and bumper R7000. This compares favourably with what I can get in the states in terms of the recomended systems. There are some for cheaper but will be around this price landed in SA.

I got a quote from R&D that was the same as the other quote for the ARB bumper Can get local front and rear for similar price.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast