HELP! - Botswana Experts - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

You could possibly do it - but man it is a bit of a rush. Maybe sacrifice one night at Ihaha, then spend one night at Victoria Falls rest camp.
    Driving from Ihaha to Kasane is at least an hour, maybe two.

Ihaha is really special, but why do you want to spend 5 days there?
    And it is not cheap to camp there as you already know!

Deon

Quote Originally Posted by deonl View Post
    You could possibly do it - but man it is a bit of a rush. Maybe sacrifice one night at Ihaha, then spend one night at Victoria Falls rest camp.
    Driving from Ihaha to Kasane is at least an hour, maybe two.

Ihaha is really special, but why do you want to spend 5 days there?
    And it is not cheap to camp there as you already know!

Deon
    Hi Deon,

Thanks for your input.

What you say makes sense. My thinking was that it would be more like 4 days there with one day at Vic falls.

We enjoy staying at a camp a few days to really take it easy and do game drives etc. However, I would really welcome your suggestions!!

Our trip is imagined to look something like this:
    Moremi (Xakanaxa)
    Khwai community
    Savuti
    Ihaha
    Vic Falls
    Makgadikgadi

Savuti has been booked for 4 days. The rest is still flexable.
    Where would you suggest going after Ihaha? Through Zim back into Bots to Makgadikgadi? I know these privatised camps are super pricey but I don't know of any other options!
    I considered Sinyati but does not sound like my cup of tea...

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks!
    I intend to live forever... So far so good.

I am going to Maun in September,then Nxai pan (south camp and Baines Baobabs), then south to Khumaga in Makgadidgadi. From there to Kubu island and down to Khama Rhino sanctuary. Not sure about some of those places in December though.

Did the milk run (identical to yours) in 2011 but once again, not in rainy season.

It sounds like you have ample time available, so maybe include the trip I'm doing on your way back to CT?

Deon

DWG, My view differs. Most people in fact visit Vic Falls as day visitors from Kasane. It is a little more of a schlep from Ihaha. I would look at spending 2 nights in Kasane itself. There are many campsites and good discussions on this forum.

For the first afternoon I would suggest a sundowner trip on the Chobe River. Definitely memorable. Lots of info here. Then the next day Vic Falls. The main decision is whether you want to go through the border in your own vehicle or arrange an excursion with a guide in their vehicle. I prefer going on my own steam. Gives you more independence. Once again use the search function within this forum.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

To add to that... 2 days at Vic falls (one night) is probably sufficient.
    Take in some of the activities there - bungi jumping/zip slides/ elephant rides/helicopter flips. Also the mandatory walk across the bridge to the Zambia side.

Have not been to Senyati but hear conflicting reports about it. Also hear about Elephant sands as a possible stopover on your way to Makgadigadi.....

Deon

Quote Originally Posted by deonl View Post
    I am going to Maun in September,then Nxai pan (south camp and Baines Baobabs), then south to Khumaga in Makgadidgadi. From there to Kubu island and down to Khama Rhino sanctuary. Not sure about some of those places in December though.

Did the milk run (identical to yours) in 2011 but once again, not in rainy season.

It sounds like you have ample time available, so maybe include the trip I'm doing on your way back to CT?

Deon
    Thanks Deon,

I've decided not to do Kubu on Pumas advice (Very wet in Dec)
    I'm gonna look into the places you suggest. Sounds great!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    DWG, My view differs. Most people in fact visit Vic Falls as day visitors from Kasane. It is a little more of a schlep from Ihaha. I would look at spending 2 nights in Kasane itself. There are many campsites and good discussions on this forum.

For the first afternoon I would suggest a sundowner trip on the Chobe River. Definitely memorable. Lots of info here. Then the next day Vic Falls. The main decision is whether you want to go through the border in your own vehicle or arrange an excursion with a guide in their vehicle. I prefer going on my own steam. Gives you more independence. Once again use the search function within this forum.
    Hi Stan,

I like the Idea of going on our own to Vic Falls. Most people recommend a tour guide as its cheaper but sounds a bit rigid...

I guess I have a misconception of Kasane area-that I will be spending time in town like environment
    The sundowner trip sounds like something nice! My wife will go crazy for it!

I'll use the search function on the thread as suggested

Thanks for the input!

We made an organised trip (private tour) to Vic Falls as well. It's not for the guide, you do not really need one. It was more for the simple way of transportation and border crossing. That may be a hassle if you are just over to ZIM for one day with your own vehicle. And it was nice to leave the car for a day at the campsite without packing everything together...
    Our guide was always close by , so when we finished the Falls, he took us to the market and after being satisfied there much more earlier than expected, it was no problem to start the way back to our camp in Botswana.

That was very flexible...and it was just the two of us
    Additionally it was nice to get to know something about the country and the people...

We were in Senyati 3 weeks ago. Beautifull place to stay. We got Willie to take us to Vic Falls. What a character! We had a laugh all the way there and back. You can really use him. In fact, everybody from the forum uses him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2019 Mitsubishi Triton Athlete 2.4
    2006 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2Di-D SWB
    2018 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4
    2018 Conqueror Companion

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3