Default Finings ratio? Salty flavour?

Hi Guys (and Girls?)

So, I've recently taken up home brewing. Seems a pretty laid back hobby that allows me to chill at home, keeping wife and new-ish baby happy that I'm not out Jolling to the Max!

Anyway, so I started with one o fthose Copper Tun home brew kits, and used the Dutch Lager pre-mix with german enhancer powder to test my hand for the first batch. I used a saflager yeast S26 and set the brew room temperature to 22C. After a week, turned that down to 15C and left it for another 10 days, to lager.

Then, I used the 5g sachet of finings to clear the brew up, and bottled 3 days later. Into brewcraft brown 440ml bottles, having sterilised and drip dried the bottles, using 1 carbonation drop per bottle.

two weeks later, i opened the first one to test. Pretty impressed with the flavour. a bit of a fruity flavour, the colour is great and it's a full mouth feel. However ...
    ... The beer is not clear AT ALL! Looks like a weiss to be honest, and there's a faint salty after taste.

can anyone offer some insight and advice on this?

Should I have used more finings on the 23lt brew?

Should I have rinsed the bottles after washing in the steriliser solution?

Thanks
    Gareth

Take only pictures, leave only tyre prints.
    www.intelliserve.co.za

Firstly, you haven't done any lagering.

15 degrees C for 10 days is not lagering. Proper lagering takes place at a touch above freezing for at least 2-3 weeks. Lager yeast, especially S23 (not 26) is not very flocculate, and so requires quite some time to settle out after fermentation.

I cant comment to much on the finings you used because I don't know what it is. Did you rehydrate in warm water before putting it in?

The salty taste might just be the yeasty flavours you are perceiving as salty
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Learning = Great!

Ok, so the finings were rehydrated, yes. followed the instructions from three different sources, although one said 'just before bottling'. So i did 3 days.

I'll try another bottle in a month and report back.

I'm currently storing the bottles in a dark room, at 19C...

www.intelliserve.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    Firstly, you haven't done any lagering.

15 degrees C for 10 days is not lagering. Proper lagering takes place at a touch above freezing for at least 2-3 weeks. Lager yeast, especially S23 (not 26) is not very flocculate, and so requires quite some time to settle out after fermentation.

I cant comment to much on the finings you used because I don't know what it is. Did you rehydrate in warm water before putting it in?

The salty taste might just be the yeasty flavours you are perceiving as salty
    The finings with those kits are collagen/gelatin finings.

For the extract brews the finings is really not needed and you could just do a secondary fermentation for a few weeks to let the yeast settle out. I have only added finings to my very first batch and never again and my beers are perfectly clear.

As Simo says for this specific beer of yours the yeast takes some time to flocculate. They should start getting clear at around 3 weeks.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2

Yep what Rolf said its the gelatin stuff, I also only used it the first time and never again. Ive managed to make clear not making use of finnings. I normally make the beer cold, keep it standing up if possible, the colder the beer becomes the solids in the beer loose its buoyancy and sinks to the bottom, Pour it into a glass and leave a little beer behind.

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth View Post

I'm currently storing the bottles in a dark room, at 19C...
    Nah chuck them in the fridge. Store upright so that the yeast can settle out. When you pour, (and always pour a home brew, straight from the bottle is crap), just make sure you don't disturb the silt.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I have tried Irish Moss twice.... I don't like it. Does anybody want my remaining finings?
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Why don't you like Irish moss? Why does it not work for you? I use it in ALL my beers.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

My experience with it was the huge amount of "gunk" I had to leave behind in the brewpot after cooling and settling time of 20 mins? Maybe I am doing things wrong, but without I just get to rack more into the fermenter without the stuff.
    Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    My experience with it was the huge amount of "gunk" I had to leave behind in the brewpot after cooling and settling time of 20 mins? Maybe I am doing things wrong, but without I just get to rack more into the fermenter without the stuff.
    Well that's just the point - it's doing it's job, removing the gunk !! You end up with less crap in the fermenter and less in your bottle.
    Last edited by SimonB; 2014/06/12 at 10:07 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

I understand that Simon. So you transfer less gunk to the fermentor.
    But what if you transfer more liquid to the fermenter, cold crash and hope all the gunk settles at the bottom in the yeast cake. Wont you get more bottled beer?

Or do you actually not want all the suspended "stuff" (without finings added) in the fermenter? The last 2 beers turned out pretty clear without Irish Moss, but then again I have not had someone actually judge my beer
    Jacques

Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    I understand that Simon. So you transfer less gunk to the fermentor.
    But what if you transfer more liquid to the fermenter, cold crash and hope all the gunk settles at the bottom in the yeast cake. Wont you get more bottled beer?

Or do you actually not want all the suspended "stuff" (without finings added) in the fermenter? The last 2 beers turned out pretty clear without Irish Moss, but then again I have not had someone actually judge my beer
    I's rather transfer as little gunk as possible through each step of the process. if you are worried about final volume, just produce a litre more wort
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4

Carpe Diem Scrotum

Ok, so i'm hearing:
    1) Finings not actually that critical -
    2) there are ways to get around the murkiness such as cold storage
    3) Using extract kits may be part of the problem (murkiness) and once I've learned to make my own worts I can use sieves and strain into the fermenter (??)
    4) I need more lessons... anyone know of classes around Gautengaleng? SWAMBO found one guy, bnought me a 4 person package as a gift and then the guy cancelled on the night, saying he had contracted a flesh-eating bacteria! Groupon reimbursed... I didn't try again

www.intelliserve.co.za

Ok, so i'm hearing:
    3) Using extract kits may be part of the problem (murkiness) and once I've learned to make my own worts I can use sieves and strain into the fermenter (??)
    4) I need more lessons... anyone know of classes around Gautengaleng? SWAMBO found one guy, bnought me a 4 person package as a gift and then the guy cancelled on the night, saying he had contracted a flesh-eating bacteria! Groupon reimbursed... I didn't try again
    Join Worthogs.
    The guys have brewing sessions and help each other.

Have you considered Brewing In A Bag? (BIAB)?

If you have Youtube, have a look, it's a cool option.
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    I's rather transfer as little gunk as possible through each step of the process. if you are worried about final volume, just produce a litre more wort
    Thanks Simon. I'm not worried of volume, just don't want to waste and have every ml of goodness ready for consumption
    Jacques

Ok, so i'm hearing:
    Extract kit is not part of your problem. Finings however is not required when doing an extract brew as long as you are using decent yeast.

I do extract brews (the more complex extract brews with some grains, cherries, chocolate, hops, etc) and my beers are perfectly clear.
    2013 Tata Xenon 3.0 Dicor D/C
    2006 Honda Civic EXi FN2