Bad service from Landrover Midrand

Thumbs down Bad service from Landrover Midrand

I booked a 40000km service with Nico Viviers of Midrand Landrover on 25/03/08; the booking was for 02/04/08 with the following complaints:
    · Aircon not working properly, aircon noisy. Aircon pump not engaging after 30 + min of use. This started the day before booking the service whilst still in Botswana and we had a very hot drive back.
    · Brake dust covers noisy
    · Steering pump noisy
    · Right rear body panel loose and clattering
    · Radio surround falling out
    · Replace air filter
    · Clean vehicle properly as we had been working in very remote areas of Botswana and there was lots of grass, mud and sand stuck every where.

I was given a call during the day by Nico stating that he was looking at the aircon and could not find anything wrong. I again explained that it would run fine but as the day became hotter the clutch of the aircon would no longer engage we had tested this with a multimeter in the field, despite power being given to the pump the clutch would not kick in, why I do not know.

On collecting the vehicle I was told that they did not have all the standard service spare parts and that I had to return for them to be fitted some other time! This service was booked a week before, surely you make sure you have all the parts? If not you source this part from the closest dealer, not so? Was there no fuel filters in the greater Pretoria, Johannesburg area? Now due to Landrover Midrands incompetence I had to waste another day going back so that they could complete their work. I was charged for a full 40 000km service.

On the points as above:

· Nico could not solve the problem and stated that the noise from the pump was normal. (this noise started when it stopped functioning properly) He then said that I must test it and if it still did not function properly he would replace the pump. Great.
    · Brake dust covers fixed
    · Steering pump noise was normal; it is apparently supposed to whine loudly??
    · Extra tank fitted so no place to attach panel (heard of double sided tape?)
    · Radio surround ordered
    · Vehicle not cleaned properly, mud, sand, grass still there, dust still inside but now randomly wiped into lines.
    The service book was not stamped by the dealer.

I booked a return service for the missing items to be fitted for 15/04/08. Again with the following:
    · Aircon not functioning properly
    · Fit new radio surround
    · Fit fuel filter
    · Clean properly, sand, mud, grass under vehicle.

On collecting the vehicle I was invoiced for the installation of a fuel filter. Surely this was paid for under the 40 000km service, I was inconvenienced by having to return the vehicle due to their mistake and I get charged for labour again?

· The mechanic told me that he looked at the aircon but as he had not designed it he does not know how it works. He told me that he had run the unit for a while and could not find anything wrong. I asked if he had tested the unit in any way other than parking the car under a tree and letting it run for a while. He said no, as it was not his work to fault find he would rather we send it to somebody else who actually knew what they were doing. At least he was honest….
    · When I eventually got to the vehicle I found it in a state, there were tools left in the car, what was left of somebody’s lunch on the floor, serviettes and old used cloths. The vehicle had again not been cleaned properly, the same sand, mud, grass was still there.
    · The service book had still not been stamped.
    · The workshop manager was nowhere to be found and Nico could clearly not care less.

Is this how you treat your customers?

I’m sorry but where can I still find a Landrover dealership that understands the meaning of service, this is pathetic and I thought that Centurions’s service was bad….
    Land Rover is not a vehicle it is a cult!
    Gas Gas 300 with training wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Congo View Post
    The vehicle had again not been cleaned properly, the same sand, mud, grass was still there.
    Congo rather take it for a valet and they will clean it properly. Service centres are there to service and repair vehicles(which they didnt do in your case)and the wash is a goodwill gesture.I have seen bakkies come in our shop with more cow ##### under it than what is in the kraal.The floormats covered with a 1inch layer of mud and soil.Two days after the service I phone to find out if he is happy with the service.No the vehicle wasnt washed properly ,but the rest is fine.Then I wonder if he booked it for a wash or a service?
    As for the rest of your experience with them, I think it is pathetic.
    98 Hilux 2.8D D/C 4x4

Is this how you treat your customers?

I’m sorry but where can I still find a Landrover dealership that understands the meaning of service, this is pathetic and I thought that Centurions’s service was bad….
    Congo, put this complains on http://www.hellopeter.com. You will find that all of a sudden you will be a VIP LR customer

Quote Originally Posted by wiel View Post
    Congo rather take it for a valet and they will clean it properly. Service centres are there to service and repair vehicles(which they didnt do in your case)and the wash is a goodwill gesture.
    VW offer a valet service when they service your vehicle, but you have to pay extra for it and you have to wait an extra day for the vehicle because they send it off to a car wash to do the valet. I think that is quite a good idea accept that the valet people unpluged all my airbags.

Land Rover just can't seem to get the whole service level thing right, they take a good vehicle and make it look bad because of their poor service levels.

The last time I had a vehicle out of warantee was the happiest I was service wise and with the vehicle because I did not use a dealer to repair/service the vehicle, I would drop the vehicle off at 7:00 I got it back before 17:00 serviced and repaired. With LR I have left a perfectly good vehicle at the dealer for a service only to find new problems on colection, sometimes quite serious.

Must say though, if you read any other brand's threads on this forum they all have their bad srevice stories, I think LR takes the cake though.

Maybe Tata will get it right!

Yep, lets hope Tata will improve Landrovers service level, I'm not too worried about the wash thing, how ever, If the customer ask for a proper cleaning of the vehicle and you are aware that you won't be able to do so, do you offer a full valet at his cost or do you promise the world just to get him out of your office?
    I will happily pay for a full valet, no problem, just inform me. Now they are saying that the reason they could not complete all the work was because I demanded the car back the same day! Ye right
    Why can't people admit that they made a mistake, nope rather blame the client.....

I did how ever have a extended chat with Rory at Landrover SA, he will try to assist me with sorting the aircon. Thanks Rory

Still nothing from Landrover Midrand, the word from Landrover SA is that they think Midrand might have made a mistake....they will now refund me for the extra cost charged for installation of parts that was supposed to have been done during the first service.

And Nico at Midrand, thanks for leaving your tools and food in my car, I especially needed the extra serviettes...

The mechanic told me that he looked at the aircon but as he had not designed it he does not know how it works.
    This probably takes the cake as the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard a LR parts fitter say.

Quote Originally Posted by Naks View Post
    Congo, put this complains on http://www.hellopeter.com. You will find that all of a sudden you will be a VIP LR customer
    I will second this. The only problem is that you will be treated like a VIP, but still get their [email protected] service.
    '97 Disco Tdi

I'm not sure if this is a LR specific thing - most dealers fall into this category!

This is however the reason that my LR has never and will never see the inside of a LR dealerships service centre.

I have serviced with 4 different independant LR workshops and each time I have been more than happy. These are people that have a passion for the brand and they enjoy what they do. Yes, perhaps some of them are becoming a little big and loose that, but there service levels are still way better than LR.

Unfortunately bad service is just as part of SA as “Biltong, boerewors and pap” and you will find it in any brand all over SA.

The only thing we as consumers can do is to find a dealer as close as possible to you that will give you better service and hope they these incompetent people one day realise that service is just as important as providing a good product.

I stay in PTA and service my Landy only at LR Sandton due to the great service I get from Johan. Yes I have to drive 50ks and sit in the traffic for 2 hours but I save myself the frustration of dealing with these incompetent people.
    D4 V8
    Live life on the edge... you get a better view !
    Disco 3 Video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STt7DmJeeVc

Yes I second that all car dealers are a like. My Wife's VW POLO service always has lots of drama. We sortoff learned to live with it. Parts got replaced during warantee period, it failed again after it expired and now they don't have any record that they ever did the work. Back then they said there is no job card for it because it was in warrantee. Things that we complained about since day one, and we kept on complaining at every service was said to be OK, but are suddenly now faulty.

You can never win with these sharks!
    It's not about the brand, it's were you go. With my Isuzu bakkie I got great service from Reeds Delta and very well priced!
    ---000O000---
    Disco 3 V8 HSE 2007
    Ford Ranger 3.0 TDci 2008
    SERIES III 109 1976 HC
    DEFENDER 110 TD5 2006 CSW - SOLD!
    ----
    ZS1JHZ @ 2M

Probably only VW that can rival LR when it comes to good service.

I agree with Craig though. Had my Td5 serviced last week at LR Sales in Montague Gardens and had to leave the car there for two days, because thats how long it takes. Thorough job, they said. On the day before the service I returned from a long work trip and the car developed a misfire, which was traced to one of the injectors. This was replaced during the service and as I had the car for two months only, I was only charged for an hour's labour.

BTW, I got the car back sparkling clean and because the electricity was off, they did not mind me paying a very reasonable bill only days later.

I have built up a personal relationship over the years with this firm (bought both my Landies from them) and have never had a bad experience. My cars will never see the insides of a LR agency.
    camelman
    '04 Discovery II Td5 GS (using 2SO)
    '95 Discovery I V8i Auto (Now sadly sold, with fond memories)
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why its called "present".

I agree on Landrover Sandton, I have purchased all my new Defenders from them as they give a desent price and service. I just hate the traffic as I too live in PTA. But from now on I will have to give them a try.

Landrover SA actually phoned and said that Midrand would refund me, but as yet no word from them, their service manager wont take my calls...eish. Am I now being a difficult customer or are we living in a sociaty where bad service is acceptable and it is frowned on if you do not accept it? In my business if every last little item is not installed 100% we won't leave a site. I pride myself on good service and my staff are trained to the same level. Why must I not expect the same?

Is it because young people no longer have any dissiplane? Or is it because people just couldn't care any more? No wonder our country is listed as the 3rd worst in productivity in the world.

Been there with the cleaning of the vehicles after a service. I had also complained at one stage and since then have just accepted the fact that the vehicle is not totally clean. I agree that the serviattes were not called for, and the tools is a bonus, but i was told that the washing of the vehicles is a service they offer, not a valet.

Add to that that I give an instruction on every service that no steamcleaner is to come near my car, especially the engine and drive train. I might loooove my mud, but having some monkey force this mud into areas where it aint supposed to be is not my idea of fun. And if this does happen, the stealer just tell you that you have abused your vehicle. So called driver abuse / neglect
    "A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster "
    By Jeremy Clarkson (I think)

Congo,
    Most automotive aircon systems work thus: the clutch is pulled in via a relay when a) the thermostat calls for cooling, and in order to complete the circuit b) the high pressure cut out switch as well as c) low pressure cut out switch must be closed.

You mention that the vehicle was used in very dusty conditions. My gut feeling is that you have either a clogged up pollen filter on the evaporator inside the car (causing low air flow over the evaporator resulting in low suction gas pressure, or a clogged up condenser coil (in front of your radiator) resulting in high gas discharge pressure. If your airflow out of the air outlets in the car seems colder and lower then when you first got the car, i would start looking at the pollen filter first. A small gas leak could also produce similar effects as a clogged pollen filter. Hope this helps
    "If everything seems under control, you are just not going fast enough" Mario Andretti

ORRA WB14

1995 Audi Quattro Coupe - for those days when nothing else will do