Dual Battery systems

Default Dual Battery systems

Hi Guys

Hope you are all well.

I am looking at installing a dual battery system in my 2003 Madza Drifter. The sole purpose is to run my Weaco CFX 50L fridge, run LED's at night and charge a phone.
    I am considering the following:

* 105AH Dixon Deep cycle battery (lead-acid) - good review on this forum
    * National Luna Battery Manager kit (DYI installation)
    * National Luna Battery Charger (smart charger)

Now I am also considering solar, but I am not sure what to do.
    Can I not get a 120w solar panel? What is the 18v in some descriptions?
    Do I need a controller and regulator?
    Can something too powerful damage the battery?

Outdoor Warehouse have a solar kit for R7999 which is crazy. Surely I could go the solar route for under R2000?
    How does it work? Just connect the Positive & Negative terminals to the battery?

I hope you guys can help, or suggest someone who actually offers this complete package without breaking the bank?

Thanks in advance

Default Re: Dual Battery systems

You can buy a regulator for cheap and connect it directly to a battery. Mppt/ppt regulators will work best (more optimized in pulling most power from solar panels

When i bought my Prado it had a 105AH battery.
    After many calculations and based on what we were doing for Des holiday i started to invest, install and test the following system.

I did post the idea on here but had alot of negative reports on my system, but thus far testing has been promising.

All i did was the following.

1 x 90W solar panel (I will safey say that 2 x90W will be better just for those rainy days) Also the only size that will fit my roof rack
    1 x solar charge controller
    4m x 4mm flex for the solar panel to the solar charge controller
    6m x 6mm for direct power to the Fridge
    1 x Weaco Cf50 (Less efficient than the CFX --apparently cannot deny or confirm)

Testing has proven positive.

With fridge full of 3/4 full of ice using 220v to get up to the desired temps, my fridge ran easily for 2 full days.
    -4c during the day and boosting when driving during the morning.

I must emphasize that for what we have in mind this will work 100%, if you are planning on standing for 2 days solid or more with no power then fit another 105ah battery and maybe more Solar power

My costs.
    SP - R700
    SCC-R400
    Cabling R500
    DIY install - R0

I am happy. For our trip to richtersveld I will take with my wifes car battery as an back-up , you never know.

Apparently my system is very risky/ no correct / whatever. this is my system and it works for me. Use it don't use it

Where will the 2nd battery be installed?
    You can go for a wrnd dc/dc charger which also has a solar controller built in. You would then use a normal battery box. Run cables from the main battery to the wrnd which then charges you aux battery. When you are in the bush you connect your solar panel to the wrnd solar input, which will then charge the battery from the solar panel.
    You Can't connect a panel to the battery without a controller as this will damage your nice new battery

Venemanr - reason you are not getting feedback is because you are asking for a books worth of advice. Recommend start by reading the electrickery sticky at the top and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Malmoer View Post
    When i bought my Prado it had a 105AH battery.
    After many calculations and based on what we were doing for Des holiday i started to invest, install and test the following system.

I did post the idea on here but had alot of negative reports on my system, but thus far testing has been promising.

All i did was the following.

1 x 90W solar panel (I will safey say that 2 x90W will be better just for those rainy days) Also the only size that will fit my roof rack
    1 x solar charge controller
    4m x 4mm flex for the solar panel to the solar charge controller
    6m x 6mm for direct power to the Fridge
    1 x Weaco Cf50 (Less efficient than the CFX --apparently cannot deny or confirm)

Testing has proven positive.

With fridge full of 3/4 full of ice using 220v to get up to the desired temps, my fridge ran easily for 2 full days.
    -4c during the day and boosting when driving during the morning.

I must emphasize that for what we have in mind this will work 100%, if you are planning on standing for 2 days solid or more with no power then fit another 105ah battery and maybe more Solar power

My costs.
    SP - R700
    SCC-R400
    Cabling R500
    DIY install - R0

I am happy. For our trip to richtersveld I will take with my wifes car battery as an back-up , you never know.

Apparently my system is very risky/ no correct / whatever. this is my system and it works for me. Use it don't use it
    I like your honest and uncomplicated response. True that this is a VERY technical subject but highly over complicated at times. Sometimes all you need is a starting point...
    Jeep Grand Cherokke 4.7 V8
    Outback Roof rack
    Draw sytem
    Dual battery with DC-DC
    OME suspension
    Air lift Air suspension - Self installed

[QUOTE=venemanr;4241105]Hi Guys

Hope you are all well.

I am looking at installing a dual battery system in my 2003 Madza Drifter. The sole purpose is to run my Weaco CFX 50L fridge, run LED's at night and charge a phone.
    I am considering the following:

* 105AH Dixon Deep cycle battery (lead-acid) - good review on this forum Good choice
    * National Luna Battery Manager kit (DYI installation) You need a dual battery controller, Nl have one with a cole hershee relay in a blister pack, All it does is to give the alternator a 5 -7 min time to replace start charge befor ``` engaging 2nd battery
    * National Luna Battery Charger (smart charger) That would be for charging off 220v, Ctek or benton as good look for best back up

Now I am also considering solar, but I am not sure what to do.
    Can I not get a 120w solar panel? What is the 18v in some descriptions? 150 - 180 better for the odd days with bad weather. Larger panel will generate more power than consumed even without Mppt controller.
    The 18v is open circuit voltage of the panel, panels over 240w are usually 49v open circuit and would fry our equipment.
    Do I need a controller and regulator? Some folks call it a regulator and some call it a controller, all side same side, Mppt is the better but also the more expensive, not sure it is worth the extra amp or so
    Can something too powerful damage the battery? The controller takes care of this as long a you stick to a 18V panel, 180w panel will just charge the battery so much sooner than a 120w

Outdoor Warehouse have a solar kit for R7999 which is crazy. Surely I could go the solar route for under R2000?
    How does it work? Just connect the Positive & Negative terminals to the battery?

I hope you guys can help, or suggest someone who actually offers this complete package without breaking the bank? https://4x4direct.co.za/509-solar-power 066-290-6602 Speak to Neil or Michaela they will sort you without bankrupting you just be careful going in to that shop is dangerous
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Iím in agreement with Henk.

Go to 4x4 direct, get yourself a WRND unit, some connectors, wiring etc and youíll be sorted. They will give you sound advice.

I am really happy with my two WRND setups.

i use a 150W solar panel with the WRND and it works great.
    Dirk Theron
    Land Cruiser FJ
    Hilux 2.8 GD-6 Auto 4x4
    BL865 Ratel4
    Lifeís a journey, enjoy the ride

Smile Re: Dual Battery systems

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feedback.
    I went to see Neil at 4x4 Direct and he made the necessary recommendations for the system I wish to run and advise on on where to mount everything.
    Purchase complete.
    Now for the installation

Quote Originally Posted by venemanr View Post
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions and feedback.
    I went to see Neil at 4x4 Direct and he made the necessary recommendations for the system I wish to run and advise on on where to mount everything.
    Purchase complete.
    Now for the installation
    Please post pics when completed...very keen to see the solar part of it

Good luck!