wives and rooftop tent ladders

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default wives and rooftop tent ladders

I'm looking for comments on your wife's ability/anxiety/willingness to climbing up and down a rooftop tent ladder?
    Especially those with wives in their late 50's, early 60s.

I'm looking to purchase a rooftop tent but would like an idea on the suitability of these with SWAMBO...

Default Re: wives and rooftop tent ladders

Two points of view from me.

I got my first RTT when we bought PAJ, the first PaJero we bought 4 years ago. This was a Myway Serengeti (fold out) that was quite easy to set up and pack away as long as the weather was favourable. A very wet trip to Moremi in a January month had us thinking though. This was due to climbing around a wet and muddy vehicle and although the ladder was sturdy and of course attached to the RTT it was as much a case of slipping off the vehicle as it was falling off the ladder.

My Swambo has never had a problem with the ladder part, but the different perspective is that she worries about me falling off the ladder. I am nowhere near as bendy as old rubber girl (Swambo) and tend to be more clumsy than she is. If she fell off the ladder she would float down like a feather. If I fell it would be more like a bag of cement.

At this point we changed out our RTT for a Bundutop. The sheer simplicity of setup and take down takes a huge risk out of the roof top tent lifestyle. No more clambering around the vehicle and we can use either the front runner steps on my back wheel or the ladder for entry and exit.

We have gone one step further ...... we have entered into agreements and will soon be offering a trailer with a Bundutop as a package deal. The prototype is being built as we speak and will have some interesting features... one of which will be that no ladder will be involved. It will be low and we have addressed the problem of the ladder by doing away with it and incorporating an alternative.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

If my wife doesn't want to climb up and down a ladder, no amount of forum advice will help.

So you should be asking SWAMBO, not us.

While a RRF tent has a lot of benefits - there are these to consider :

1. you can't stand up straight in the thing to get dressed - (well not normally)
    2. get up at night for a piddle... issue...
    3. Slipping - as you mentioned
    4. RRT on your vehicle is driving around with a coffin - unless you take it off

Tents on the ground have another set of issues. I also dont know - been looking and thinking too

Perhaps an off road camper is what I want. Dunno about you..
    DGO Fiddler

Probably the best solution for you would be a basic trailer without the bells and whistles but with decent off road tires. The tent will then be accessible with a very short step ladder if none at all.

trampoline??
    '13 Toyota Hilux 4x4 XCab

Pain in the neck..ongemaklik en jou voete kry seer...finish en klaar...Did a 14 day trip in Namibia and sold the trailer with RTT and bought a BL....sterkte Boet..
    TDI
    Boskriek 814
    Dries de Kock

I think it's time Dirk opens Stranger's RTT thread
    1998 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Kitty'
    2002 Daihatsu Rocky 'The Bully'

Health and weight an issue. My Swambo doesn't have a problem for the once or twice a day couple of weeks.
    Obviously the camping trailer is more convenient. But for your long distance/remote/bad roads destinations like Kgalagadi and CKGR a RTT ladder is a small price to pay.
    Just not more than 2 weeks I would say.
    2019 Fortuner 2.4 Auto 4x4
    2006 Jeep 3.7 Limited with 1.5" lift

For a RTT think about modifying the latter with wider and broader steps. It can be quite sore to stand on and when you climb out if they are wider it is easier to find. We bought the new frontrunner extender ladder which works well for us.

Agree with all of the above. It opens and closes easily, BUT that is where it stops. Also great for 1 night STOPS (NOT STANDS HE HE ) Gave mine to the children and built a trailer with with a proper stepladder. Takes more time to open and close , but we camp now only for 2/3 days at a time.
    You have only 1 life MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICES !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
    For a RTT think about modifying the latter with wider and broader steps. It can be quite sore to stand on and when you climb out if they are wider it is easier to find. We bought the new frontrunner extender ladder which works well for us.
    Yup - our Echo RTT is going on 17 years old now, and when I last had a new cover made for it, I also got the outfitters to replace the tubular rung ladder (hell on bare feet) with wide, flat, aluminium checker plate steps. Makes a huge difference.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

My SWAMBO is very much the clumbsy one, she was not over eager to climb up and battled to get down. What I did manage to realize was to try increase the angle of the ladder a tad more even 2 degrees flatter helped her plenty.

Also been looking into possible solutions came across this auntie, havnt tried it yet but the coggs are turning.

Will be following this thread. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you for all your comments!

I think the consensus is - get a trailer...
    Let me start exploring options

some like a RTT, some dont - BOTH males and females.

Know a couple that went on a mulit-week trip. EARLY in the trip the group had a "long braai" .... during the night the gent had to relieve himself. Having had enough to drink he had the bright idea to stand on the ladder and relieve himself ..... must have seen like a good idea at the time ....

lost his balance and fell HARD !!

Spent the rest of the trip on pain killers ....

back home he had to go for an opp .....

granted, this is not the typical hazard of owning a RTT.

Yet, his wife loves the RTT.

With a proper ladder (proper steps that dont hurt bare feet) we would easily use a RTT. I actually love the clam-shell units !
    Last edited by Elders; 2017/09/11 at 06:52 PM.

My wife and I have previously used a RTT but decided on a ground tent with decent stretchers and comfortable mattresses for various reasons. Climbing down or up the ladder in the early morning to visit a loo is really a pain.

Travelling in Africa can often be very tough but is always extremely rewarding.

We used a RTT for about 12 years and SWAMBO would rather climb up and down the ladder than sleep in a ground tent.
    We never climbed down the ladder for a pee at night. Use a sta-soft bottle as a potty for both sexes, just cut the top 1/4 off a 3 litre bottle. I will fit snugly into the pockets of the RTT.
    Have upgraded to a camper...

This has been something of concern to us. That nice and so special cup of coffee before you turn in at night has a habit of getting you up at night. The ladder was hard on both the wife's and my feet. Luckily the wife is very gifted and together we made canvas to cover the pool noodles we put on the ladder rungs. She trimmed the canvas with ribtrim to match the trim on the HM TTT.

Now looking at years ahead, I am looking at making some sort railing to give some sort of support should one lose their balance.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

If I were having a drink with you, I would ask why you are thinking about a RTT?

What is your appeal of a RTT?

Quote Originally Posted by Slowones View Post
    If I were having a drink with you, I would ask why you are thinking about a RTT?

What is your appeal of a RTT?
    Packing up? Especially if you aren't travelling with a trailer?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast