Electrickery for camping - Page 61

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1233

Default Re: Electrickery for camping

Quote Originally Posted by hatjohan View Post
    If there is, I would also like to know. But I doubt it!

Anything specific, or are you just window shopping out of curiosity (I often do that )?
    I'm busy with and LED installation on my trailer, and struggling to find everything I need in one location. ..............but also the window shopping part

2. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamG For This Useful Post:

You can try Outdoor Warehouse as well for Lumeno products. Also Bushpower.co.za. Alterntively, local caravan shops also will reveal a staggering array of things you 'never know you needed'. Enjoy!

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Subok For This Useful Post:

Some interesting info re Lithium and other batteries: http://rvdaily.com.au/rvd/issue029/#213 This Australian magazine is free electronically, and a hive of information!
    2012 Nissan Navara DC 2,5DCi 4x4 AT
    (SOLD) 2002 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi
    1982 BMW R100RT

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DeonStr For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Thug View Post
    All parts finally ordered, with most received.

I eventually went with the following:

NL Auxillary Battery Box
    2 x 120W Enersol solar panels
    WRND DC-DC MPPT
    Royal Delkor DC31 100ah
    How come you went with 2 solar panels? Im asking as on another thread I ended up going with one solar panel (120w 18 volt) and controller (20A) to keep a 130ah gel battery charged. Im assuming its because I dont have much plugged into it. Just curious as to set up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Thug View Post
    Bloody good price!!! R270 cheaper than 4x4direct that I bought from beginning June

Quote Originally Posted by ozosborne View Post
    How come you went with 2 solar panels? Im asking as on another thread I ended up going with one solar panel (120w 18 volt) and controller (20A) to keep a 130ah gel battery charged. Im assuming its because I dont have much plugged into it. Just curious as to set up etc.
    The two panels (240w) can give him up to 12amps charge.

Your 120w panel can max give you 6 amps.

Example - If your fridge pulls 4amps it means that you are only putting 2amps back into the battery.

The amps given above is best case scenario. (6 & 12)

Work on 4 hours of optimal sun, max 6 per day, do the math.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    The two panels (240w) can give him up to 12amps charge.

Your 120w panel can max give you 6 amps.

Example - If your fridge pulls 4amps it means that you are only putting 2amps back into the battery.

The amps given above is best case scenario. (6 & 12)

Work on 4 hours of optimal sun, max 6 per day, do the math.
    Got it!

I have 5 x 100W Flexible Solar Panels in a Canvas Bag used for storage. I want to use this as a power source for both my Caravan and Bakkie at the same time, is this possible, please see the diagram. Anything that I need to consider?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by DieselDonkie View Post
    I have 5 x 100W Flexible Solar Panels in a Canvas Bag used for storage. I want to use this as a power source for both my Caravan and Bakkie at the same time, is this possible, please see the diagram. Anything that I need to consider?
    Nothing wrong with the setup. With the current of each panel at about 5.5A if you don't want to limit the current the MPPT must be 25A or more if the panels are in ||. If in series you would need MPPTs that can handle 5x open circuit voltage which you can get on the panels. It could be as high as 110V.

As you intend using the panels for one of the two batteries at a time I would use only 1 MPPT and connect the output via plugs to the battery being charged. Nothing wrong with 2 x MPPT as above it is just a saving of perhaps R2000+ as a 25A MPPT does cost a bit. If you have the MPPTs fixed then 2 would be the only way to go.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/07/27 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Nothing wrong with the setup. With the current of each panel at about 5.5A if you don't want to limit the current the MPPT must be 25A or more if the panels are in ||. If in series you would need MPPTs that can handle 5x open circuit voltage which you can get on the panels. It could be as high as 110V.

As you intend using the panels for one of the two batteries at a time I would use only 1 MPPT and connect the output via plugs to the battery being charged. Nothing wrong with 2 x MPPT as above it is just a saving of perhaps R2000+ as a 25A MPPT does cost a bit. If you have the MPPTs fixed then 2 would be the only way to go.
    Thanks ekkekan baie dankie ek het baie goeie MPPT wat 40amps kan hanteer en ek dink 1000V praat hier onder korreksie wat sou jy s parallelle of serie installasie

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post

In his original post he indicated that he would like to use both at the same time. I can't see the value of 2 x MPPT controllers in parallel there - the MPPT function would not be accurate, or am I wrong? 2 x PWM would be much better if 2 "had" to be used.

Agreed that 1 x MPPT would be better, if only one was going to be charged at a time. But this is probably not practical. Smart charging two battery banks of different charge is also not ideal. I would split the solar panels into 2 banks and have two independent circuits

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    In his original post he indicated that he would like to use both at the same time. I
    Sorry I read it as one at a time. Getting old!!!! Then my 1st sentence should not read nothing wrong.

Yes I agree both the MPPTs would be trying to load the panels at the maximum power point and not a good idea. In a way my thoughts are around having both the batteries in || and charging from only 1 MPPT. Not ideal but we have millions of battery backs of different batteries working in ||. I would just say one must pay close attention when one of the 2 batteries had it's life as the good battery will then discharge into it and the good battery will never fully charge. Also pay attention to the temp of both.

May be a timer switch over between the 2 to only charge one at a time might be a better option.

These are working on 12/24/220V it can be set to cycle between the 2. Select the voltage at time of order. This one is listed for R250.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_timer__MAR1656.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	535426

This one is R78 but they do not ship to SA. Just shop around. This is the 1st time I see these unit for other than 110/220V.
    https://www.cesdeals.com/product/dc-...0aAsn7EALw_wcB
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/07/28 at 11:52 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

I have a question please, and I appologise if I might have missed the answer somewhere in the 1000 plus informative pages
    I have an offroad caravan ( new on the market) on order with a 220 v Fridge freezer which will be changed to a combined ac and dc driven unit. The van is supplied with a single 105 a/h battery with smart charger , will this be ample, or should I consider a second battery to be added for real bush camping where no electricity points are avavailable to maintain Fridge and lights?

IMHO, and in my experience, any 'off grid' camping for an extended amount of time needs at least a solar panel to keep you going for a satisfactory amount of time.
    I made do with 2 x 105ah batteries, and a 150W solar panel on my Companion, while the 80W panel keeps the Optima battery in my vehicle topped up if I don't drive for a while.
    The Companion has a 95L fridge/freezer combo, while my vehicle is fitted with a 50L Weekender.
    Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I.....I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
    -Robert Frost-

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Smith For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    IMHO, and in my experience, any 'off grid' camping for an extended amount of time needs at least a solar panel to keep you going for a satisfactory amount of time.
    I made do with 2 x 105ah batteries, and a 150W solar panel on my Companion, while the 80W panel keeps the Optima battery in my vehicle topped up if I don't drive for a while.
    The Companion has a 95L fridge/freezer combo, while my vehicle is fitted with a 50L Weekender.
    Thx Paul, i do have 2 x 100 watt solar panels for the off grid camping, just need to know whether 1 x 150 a/h would be sufficient, or would 2 x 105's be the better option
    I also have a 80 watt panel to help with second battery in vehicle

Better safe than sorry, I always say - get another battery, just as an insurance policy.

Happy wife, happy life...
    Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I.....I took the one less travelled by, And that has made all the difference."
    -Robert Frost-

Paul, my vrou s jy weet iets!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Smith View Post
    Better safe than sorry, I always say - get another battery, just as an insurance policy.

Happy wife, happy life...

Ja nee, boet - ek is mos ook getroud...

Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

-Robert Frost-

My personal feeling is that the time has come for people to at least consider Lithium based systems, especially in a new build.

Look at the offerings from BlueNova. Same format as a standard battery with built in BMS so they are compatible with alternators etc.

You will save on weight and space and have superior performance. Not only that but it will probably be the last battery you ever buy.

Get the trailer manufacturer to rather install the battery now and offset the costs against the intended 105AH.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/08/04 at 11:20 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Are lithium batteries somewhat more affordable these days?

The last time I looked, the prices were astronomical...
    Prado 4.0L VX
    BMW R1200 GSA

-Robert Frost-

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 11 36 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 LastLast