Electrickery for camping - Page 51

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1241

Default Re: Electrickery for camping

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    If they are put away for use only, and only used for the Solar connections, why not just chop off the plugs at either end and put on unambiguous BH connectors.

What you are doing is extremely dangerous.
    I hear you Fluffy which is why as mentioned the "adapters" are put away, marked and not accessible to anyone. I would only take them out if we are off the grid. The extension leads themselves are stock std which makes the system universal.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Quote Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete View Post
    Please - I need some help with my DIL. She has given my son and I an ultimatum of a decent way to dry her hair otherwise its "no off the grid camping". No, no no, no Demi Moore hairdo's, no hot brushes, etc - it has to be a hair drier! Her hair is long and thick and she washes it every morning without fail.

12V driers seem low on performance, so a 220V drier it seems is a must. My son has 2 x 105a/h batteries in his Companion so if we use a 2500W inverter with a 1800W hair drier for about 20 minutes how much battery power would that draw. He has a 300W panel and DC to DC so my concern is mainly will the batteries cope if 90% charged?
    Aw come on man, this is easy. Set up a DC_DC feed to the companion from the vehicle and run the engine for the duration of the hair drying session. So you actually need a long range tank as well.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Aw come on man, this is easy. Set up a DC_DC feed to the companion from the vehicle and run the engine for the duration of the hair drying session. So you actually need a long range tank as well.
    Why don't you use the 12v mattress pump.
    It really does the job.
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2018/10/17 at 11:58 AM.

I hear you Fluffy which is why as mentioned the "adapters" are put away, marked and not accessible to anyone. I would only take them out if we are off the grid. The extension leads themselves are stock std which makes the system universal.
    I have seen the strangest things go wrong when somebody is fault finding the lights going out at 10oclock after a braai and a bottle of wine and some beers.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Please - I need some help with my DIL. She has given my son and I an ultimatum of a decent way to dry her hair otherwise its "no off the grid camping". No, no no, no Demi Moore hairdo's, no hot brushes, etc - it has to be a hair drier! Her hair is long and thick and she washes it every morning without fail.

12V driers seem low on performance, so a 220V drier it seems is a must. My son has 2 x 105a/h batteries in his Companion so if we use a 2500W inverter with a 1800W hair drier for about 20 minutes how much battery power would that draw. He has a 300W panel and DC to DC so my concern is mainly will the batteries cope if 90% charged?
    Bad news.

The only thing that is practical to do that is a fair-sized generator.
    That will make fellow campers hate you.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

What works really well as a hairdryer is your vehicles own fan & heater system. Wife goes to shower, I go for a little drive to warm the vehicle up. She comes along with her wet hair, we close all the airvents except the one on the passenger's side and turn fan & heater to max. She stands next to the vehicle with her head in front of the vent and dries her hair. Surprisingly, it actually works very well!

2.8D SFA 4x4
    3.0 D4D 4x4

I was in two minds whether to post this here or start a new thread but thought I'd get better response here. Mods can move it or split it off if necessary.

I recently installed a National Luna DC-DC system in my Xplorer van and installed the wiring on my Disco 2 to supply power to the van while towing. I used 16mm squared cable for the installation that I bought from National Luna as well as the correct 50 Amp Brad Harrison plugs. The DC-DC charger comes with two MTA Inline fuse holders and two 40 AMP Midival Strip Fuses. The fuse holders have a facility for a spare fuse to be placed in the holder and as I didn't have any spare fuses of this type I went out to find two fuses. The caravan outlets and 4x4 suppliers I contacted or went to did carry this type of fuse but only 100 AMP or higher in value. Most tried to convince me to fit the 100 AMP or even 130 AMP fuses even though the National Luna kit comes with 40 AMP fuses.
    Now my questions......................................... ......
    Why would anyone suggest a fuse value more than double the value that the original supplier specified for the system and where would you need to use a 100 AMP fuse in a system? There is nothing that should draw even close to the 40 AMP in both my vehicle or caravan so the only time there will be that type of current draw is if there is a major short circuit. Most vehicles will be burning long before the fuse melts in a system with 100 AMP and higher fuses. Where and for what type of system are 100 AMP and 130 AMP fuses used in our type of application?
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Where and for what type of system are 100 AMP and 130 AMP fuses used in our type of application?
    a Winch for one and probably an inverter also.

Order the fuse directly from NL you should have it in 24 - 48 hours?
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    a Winch for one and probably an inverter also.

Order the fuse directly from NL you should have it in 24 - 48 hours?
    Luckily National Luna is close to home for me so I got the correct fuses from them.

I agree that a winch might draw such high current but there shouldn't be anything in a caravan system that requires that kind of power.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    Luckily National Luna is close to home for me so I got the correct fuses from them.

I agree that a winch might draw such high current but there shouldn't be anything in a caravan system that requires that kind of power.
    Don't forget, the fuse is there to protect the cable/wiring, not the equipment. Each piece of equipment should be individually and purposefully protected.

100A on a long 16mm sq cable could be border line. The resistance of the cable may limit the current to less than 100A, in which case a cable fault would burn out the cable before the fuse.

However, the 40A original fuse sounds just right for the application.

----------------------------

The mind boggles at what some of these fitment centers do. - I think that these installations should get a COC from a suitably qualified technologist/engineer.

This goes as much about electrics as over the top mechanical mods like lift kits, suspension, lights, protection etc.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Fluffy I keep the "adapters" in a tin where I would keep my gun if I had one! Paul above has given me an idea with the fuse. Why not simply fuse the "adapters" enough to carry the solar power (my Solar controller has 30 amp fuses). That way in the very unlikely event that someone had to get hold of the "adapters" and then plug them in to 220V the fuse would simply blow?

Oh Stranger you have met my DIL but you sure do not know here that well then (remember the TajMahal? SPELLING??) It took a lot of effort to get her just to camp. Now we have to get her "off the grid".
    Everyone else an other Paul thanks for the tip on the interior fan we will certainly give it a go and she is a great sport.
    Last edited by Sneaky Pete; 2018/10/17 at 04:42 PM.
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Fluffy I keep the "adapters" in a tin where I would keep my gun if I had one! Paul above has given me an idea with the fuse. Why not simply fuse the "adapters" enough to carry the solar power (my Solar controller has 30 amp fuses). That way in the very unlikely event that someone had to get hold of the "adapters" and then plug them in to 220V the fuse would simply blow?
    If there were awards for unnecessary overengineering............

Oh Stranger you have met my DIL but you sure do not know here that well then (remember the TajMahal? SPELLING??) It took a lot of effort to get her just to camp. Now we have to get her "off the grid".
    Other Paul thanks for the tip on the interior fan we will certainly give it a go and she is a great sport.
    OOOOOO K, that explains a lot 2500 kw inverter it is then and ..... one of these .... six times faster. 1600 watts

https://www.dyson.co.za/haircare/sup...echnology.aspx
    Last edited by Stranger; 2018/10/17 at 04:06 PM.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Hi guys - a question of my own dilemma - i have a 200ah deep cycle aux battery and a 48ah started battery. I’ve recently purchased a 200w m-crystal solar panel and victron 100/30 solar charge controller - the panels+victron charging the aux battery to perfection. The trouble came in, my Ranger has this troublesome setting that the park lights comes on every time a door is opened - resulting in a flat starter battery and a fantastically charged aux battery. I have a 16mm2 line running from the start battery to the load-bin with BH plug - any ideas how i can connect the solar charge pack (victron/200ah) to the started batt without overcharging the started battery, preferable an automated setup that can maintain starter battery from charge/amps received/drawn from the larger aux battery? I looked at a number of dc-dc chargers, but the ctek 250sa and 120smartpass comes up all the time, can a smartpass perhaps be used with victron? Any other suggestions that will not break the bank is welcome!

The HcdP 20A DC-DC charger has a main battery charge facility as well as a load bypass.

http://www.hcdpelectronics.co.za/ind...&product_id=68
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2018/10/21 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DieselXT View Post
    Hi guys - a question of my own dilemma - i have a 200ah deep cycle aux battery and a 48ah started battery. I’ve recently purchased a 200w m-crystal solar panel and victron 100/30 solar charge controller - the panels+victron charging the aux battery to perfection. The trouble came in, my Ranger has this troublesome setting that the park lights comes on every time a door is opened - resulting in a flat starter battery and a fantastically charged aux battery. I have a 16mm2 line running from the start battery to the load-bin with BH plug - any ideas how i can connect the solar charge pack (victron/200ah) to the started batt without overcharging the started battery, preferable an automated setup that can maintain starter battery from charge/amps received/drawn from the larger aux battery? I looked at a number of dc-dc chargers, but the ctek 250sa and 120smartpass comes up all the time, can a smartpass perhaps be used with victron? Any other suggestions that will not break the bank is welcome!
    If you didn't have the 16mm feed, feed power from the aux battery to the starter battery with an inline diode and cheap 2mm sq twin flex.

But wait there is more. ----

Is there not a setting to stop that happening.?

Just connect the two batteries together via the 16mm cable. But, the reality is that the Park Lights will draw current and you have to either stop them from doing that or supply the current, doesn't matter if you use a cable, an isolation diode, a Cte and Smartpass or a HCDP or WRND. Either way you are stuffed..

Of course, closing the doors is always an option.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2018/10/21 at 03:36 PM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Electrickery for camping - Not the normal solar query

Swamphens husband here.

just running a nl weekender 52l via dual battery alternator charging system - deep cell is 105ah. Works perfectly with some driving during the day.

Now looking at solar for those 2-4 day stops with no driving. Decided on putting a 100w panel under front part of defender roof rack on sliders so panel when needed slides out over the windscreen and is slid back and locked down when not needed. Within this set parameter challenge is to squeeze as many amps per her out of this panel as possible while being able to charge during main phase at around the required 14.3 v for a deep cell.

After extensive research camp up with this:

100w 72 cell 36v 2.73amp poly (as opposed to 18v 5.56amp poly with a 10/15 amp PWM controller) and most critically with a Blue Solar mppt 75/15 controller which when bringing down the voltage to what the battery can handle converts the excess volts to more amps.

Reasoning is that this set up:

Will produce best amp input when battery voltage is down closest to safety cut-off level (which is usually early morning) and in lower light/with cooler panel temperatures eg first part of the morning and later in afternoon, and

arguably also when panel at its hottest

Am I on the right track?

@ Swamphens husband

I use 240w (2x120w) panels which theoretically should give me about 10amp x 5hours = 50amps per day back in the battery, this is the best case scenario.

Your fridge will draw between 2.5 - 5amps and a 100w panel will provide about 5amps, so somewhere down the line you are going to run short.

Up your panels and/or batteries.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Default Re: Electrickery for camping - Not the normal solar query

Quote Originally Posted by swamphen View Post
    Swamphens husband here.

just running a nl weekender 52l via dual battery alternator charging system - deep cell is 105ah. Works perfectly with some driving during the day.

Now looking at solar for those 2-4 day stops with no driving. Decided on putting a 100w panel under front part of defender roof rack on sliders so panel when needed slides out over the windscreen and is slid back and locked down when not needed. Within this set parameter challenge is to squeeze as many amps per her out of this panel as possible while being able to charge during main phase at around the required 14.3 v for a deep cell.

After extensive research camp up with this:

100w 72 cell 36v 2.73amp poly (as opposed to 18v 5.56amp poly with a 10/15 amp PWM controller) and most critically with a Blue Solar mppt 75/15 controller which when bringing down the voltage to what the battery can handle converts the excess volts to more amps.

Reasoning is that this set up:

Will produce best amp input when battery voltage is down closest to safety cut-off level (which is usually early morning) and in lower light/with cooler panel temperatures eg first part of the morning and later in afternoon, and

arguably also when panel at its hottest

Am I on the right track?
    Apart from some of your terminology, spot on.

Few things.

1/. 100W may be marginal.

2/. Your mounting may make it difficult to have the panel facing the sun and adjusting it two or three times a day. At best you are probably throwing away 30-50% of your potential energy.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

As per DC Polokwane & Fluffy.

100W is just too marginal for comfort.
    For a 2 - 4 day stint you might just make it, and then maybe not. That is not what you want.

A practical and safe approach is to go for 2 x 80W panels (160W) or bigger.
    This is ample to get along, and enough to recover if you get an overcast day somewhere in between.
    Last edited by Eggie; 2018/10/26 at 10:31 AM.
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggie For This Useful Post:

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ... 26 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast