Electrickery for camping - Page 14

Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 39 ... LastLast

Default Volt/Amp Meter - no amp reading

Hi, I purchased a couple of volt/amp digital meters on eBay, 4x4direct was out of stock.

The meters has only three wires , red(12v+) , Black(battery side of shunt), yellow(load side of shunt). When I wired the meter as per Chris's pdf I get a voltage reading but no Amperage reading.

When I disconnect either the black or yellow wire I do get a reading.

Could it be because the negative line is passing through the shunt that I don't need the black wire to be connected?

I'm using the meters between my inverter and my hcdp 12v usb hub to measure amp usage from my battery.

Quote Originally Posted by hkotze View Post
    Hi, I purchased a couple of volt/amp digital meters on eBay, 4x4direct was out of stock.

The meters has only three wires , red(12v+) , Black(battery side of shunt), yellow(load side of shunt). When I wired the meter as per Chris's pdf I get a voltage reading but no Amperage reading.

When I disconnect either the black or yellow wire I do get a reading.

Could it be because the negative line is passing through the shunt that I don't need the black wire to be connected?

I'm using the meters between my inverter and my hcdp 12v usb hub to measure amp usage from my battery.

What reading?

If you get a current reading with only 2 wires connected, the meter is definitely dud.

(Could it be that the meter's shell is metal and it gets earthed that way?)
    Eggie.

What this country needs more and more, are more unemployed politicians.
    - apology to Edward Langley.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggie View Post
    What reading?

If you get a current reading with only 2 wires connected, the meter is definitely dud.

(Could it be that the meter's shell is metal and it gets earthed that way?)
    I get a voltage reading. If I disconnect one of the wires that should measure the amp's i.e black or yellow I get a amp reading

It is a plastic shell.

Definately sounds like the meter has gone phut.
    Perhaps it is still useful for voltage readings?

Edit: Do some measurements in parallel with a known good meter.
    Last edited by Eggie; 2015/08/18 at 04:29 PM.
    Eggie.

Hello i connected a 0-20 ampmeter voltmeter to my battery. I connected it as the diagram said. After installation i connected a 47 watt load to my battery now if you calculate that the amp meter is supposed to read almos 4 amp but the reading i am getting is 1.5 amp. Does anyone have a explination for that? I bought the ampmeter at 4x4 direct its a 0-20 amp with external shunt.

Zorfie, what is the load? A lot of items display max watts use on label and actual use may be varied or even cycled like with a fridge where compressor only runs for short periods. Best to use is something like a bulb, with fixed usage.
    Bennie van der Merwe
    Windhoek
    2007 Discovery 3 V8 SE
    Prev 2001 Pajero 3.2 DiD Lwb M/T

Hi Bennie ek het met my inverter ook n 60 watt globe opgesit dan se hy 2.5 amps wat te min is

Quote Originally Posted by Zorfie View Post
    Hi Bennie ek het met my inverter ook n 60 watt globe opgesit dan se hy 2.5 amps wat te min is
    Daai meter is dalk skeef of dalk nie.
    Meters lees meesal "verkeerd" as die stroom nie konstant is nie, maar 'n sterk puls-komponent bevat, soos die geval is met jou inverter.

'n 12V motorgloeilamp soos bv. met 'n kollig as las, sal 'n beter opsie wees om te gebruik.
    Eggie.

Jy sien ek het n portable battery box gebou vir kamp so ek gan n cooler en ligte en sulke dinge op he as hy ni reg gan lees ni gan hy my niks help ni behalwe vir die voltage dis darem reg

I've been watching this thread with interest over the last few weeks. I am in the process of upgrading the charging system on my bakkie and in need of advice/technical input for my wiring setup.

Normal trip is 2 weeks in Kgalagadi where we camp on the Bots side with no AC power. My old setup was a NL Smart Solenoid charging 2 x 105 Ah deep cycle batteries to run a NL 52l Weekender fridge, 1 NL LED light and occasional charging of laptop and camera batteries, We camp "rough" and don't use too much power, but by the end of the trip we need to drive 1-2 hrs twice a day to keep the fridge running.

I've upgraded to a Ctek D250S Dual, 2 x 80W solar panels and 1 x 115Ah Discover AGM battery to run the same load. I have cobbled together a diagram and am hopeful that one of you electricary gurus can cast an eye over it and give me some advice on whether I am going in the right direction or am cocking it up entirely. An feedback, positive or negative will be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dual Battery Wiring Diagram.jpg 
Views:	912 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	367277  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GeorgeRGH; 2015/09/09 at 08:30 PM. Reason: upload picture

Default Electric connections - sealing with silicone - is this OK?

Hi guys,

my lighting system is now based on sla 7.2ah batteries with 1.5w encased LED strip lights (6 leds per strip). The lights are just clipped onto the bttery terminals. I also got a cigarette lighter socket wired to battery terminal clips to be able to charge the batteries when driving. Otherwise I have 220v charger from Midas which got good reviews on the forum (charges nice and slowly without any heat buidup etc)

The problem is that using this system in an overlanding environment some rough handling is unavoidable or (although you try your best to keep things dry) some moisture can creep in from rain. The wires are thin and either wound around and twisted onto or soldered onto contact points eg to the light contact terminals/clip terminals/cigarette lighter insert plug terminals.

In the past, but with lights etc requiring far less voltage, I have fairly liberally siliconed over these contact points to seal them/protect them from moisture/prevent the wires from being pulled off or broken and also where wires come out of housings the achieve the same.

However, with 12 volt lights and eg charging from the cigarette lighter socket, I am worried if I do this siliconing I might be trapping heat and not allowing for necessary heat dissipation which might lead to overheating/shorting etc.

Can anyone advise?

Electrical engineer said the siliconing in theses areas is fine.

Silicone is probably the worst you can do, even worse than submerging it in water. The acetic acid in the silicone will promote oxidation and have the wiring break off at the joint.
    I would rather solder the joints and put some heat shrink sleeving over it. the sleeving adds extra mechanical strength while insulating the joints.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

Automotive silicones like gasket makers aren't a problem with metals. Your normal silicone is the acidic one which shouldn't be used on metals. Heat shrink and seal with auto silicone
    (SUPERCHARGED ZOMBIE ZOOK)
    (DEFENDER 130 300HP V8 "MR PUGLY")
    --->YouTube channel<---
    Hendri Mouton (Zombie)

Last time I worked with RTV it smelt like vinegar.
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Read the label on the silicon tube. It will tell you what it can and cannot be used for. You do get a motor vehicle silicon. I think secaflex is the correct one.
    Isuzu STD 2.5d 2x4 rear diffy lock
    2x spotlight,2x fog lights
    215/80/R15c tyres
    1 x great humourous driver
    GPS,Bluetooth
    Eagle eye dash cam --stolen ..bought another one
    snorkel soon
    Craig
    I DON'T LIVE IN AFRICA,AFRICA LIVES IN ME- Kyle my son

Agree on the sika Craig but that is poly urethane not silicone based.
    Henk

Follow us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by hbannink View Post
    Silicone is probably the worst you can do, even worse than submerging it in water. The acetic acid in the silicone will promote oxidation and have the wiring break off at the joint.
    I would rather solder the joints and put some heat shrink sleeving over it. the sleeving adds extra mechanical strength while insulating the joints.
    Thanks for the advice HB, much appreciated

Good day everyone

While I was installing my 3rd battery to my bakkie I started to wonder what I will do if my national luna solenoid gives up on me and you are deep in the bush.

What will you do in this case to keep your batteries charged?

Thanks
    2014 Toyota Hilux Legend 45 xtra-cab 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by pjvanblerk View Post
    Good day everyone

While I was installing my 3rd battery to my bakkie I started to wonder what I will do if my national luna solenoid gives up on me and you are deep in the bush.

What will you do in this case to keep your batteries charged?

Thanks

Only option unless you have solar is to directly connect the batteries so they can charge while running and then disconnect when vehicle is not running. PITA but can work.

Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 39 ... LastLast